• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why did you ask for the opinion of a native speaker?

To get to know whether my understanding of the meaning of the word "when" in Velcro_SP's sentence is wrong or correct.

> Did you want the true perspective of a native speaker or
    > did you just want someone to back you up?

Wait, first you were saying that my understanding is wrong (effectively backing up Velcro_SP's usage of the word), only to suddenly reveal in your previous posting that you think his usage of the word is what might be wrong. What is this "true perspective" that you as a native English speaker think you gave to me at the end of the day? I had hoped to get a clear opinion, not more contradictions.
    My take on this is that you either contradicted your previous statements or underwent a positive thought process like I assumed Velcro_SP did. I sincerely hope it's the latter.

> Velcro_SP didn't word what he wanted to say perfectly (in my opinion)

...your opinion you just revealed to me only in your previous posting, not before, when you said it was my understanding that was wrong.

> yet I understood what Velcro_SP was trying to say.

That's good for you. I thought I understood as well (him having undergone a positive thought process with an implicit retraction of the former statement as a result, that is), until he said I was wrong with that assumption.

> The 'mistakes' are just a little roughness with the words

The difference in meaning between "as", "since" and "because" on the one hand (as has been my understanding of his usage of "when") and "look at it like this" (as was your presented opinion of what this word means in his sentence) is not just a little rough in my book. It's something entirely different semantically.

> the message was clear enough.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, until he gave his reply.

> In your fantasy he retracted the former statement

Exactly, that's what he said. This doesn't change the fact that this was my original assumption though. As it stands now, I'm not any wiser because if the latter statement is not a retraction of the former (as he said and you say as well) then to my mind there're those two conflicting statements again -> square one (did we ever move from there?).

> in reality he entertained the idea that you may be correct

Correct regarding what exactly? That there're statements in the CherryPad 2 article which hint at it being a review (i.e. based on access to a physical device) and which he chose to simply ignore even when explicitly confronted with them by me? To be honest, I don't know what in reality went on in his mind as mind reading is not one of my skills. I see only what he writes here. You seem to have this skill, else you wouldn't know what idea he entertained inside his mind, would you?
    Anyway, this has zilch to do with the question I wanted the opinion of another native English speaker on, i.e. whether his two statements are contradictory or not.

> that is not the same thing.

Exactly. His stance on the nature of the CherryPad 2 article you just addressed for no obvious reason and the question whether he uttered contradictory statements are two different things.

> you clearly aren't willing to listen to anyone else's
    > point of view that doesn't fall in line with your own.

Again, what point of view of yours exactly? Your point of view where Velcro_SP's usage of the word "when" is correct and my understanding of it is wrong? Or your later point of view where he might have made a mistake in the usage of this word? Or any other point of view you didn't reveal yet?

> I won't reply to this thread again

You were of no help in answering my question and performed a volte-face with regard to your presented opinion (which is not bad per se, just of no help to me), so you surely won't be missed by me. But nonetheless thanks again for even posting in this thread.

> even if you try to bait me to do so.

I'm just replying in a most truthful way to your points you made to me. You can call that baiting, but I don't care.
  • »28.08.11 - 19:12