• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    @Andreas_Wolf
    Quote:

Fair enough (and Vecro_SP and I went through this already), but then how can it be "a substantial mistake to inform MZ readers that the "CherryPad 2" has been reviewed, when [...] it hasn't been sold"? How can the fact that it hasn't been sold yet cause the article to be a non-review when reviews on not yet sold hardware are possible?

You're taking the statements too far out of context, they were not made in the same post. Let me bold the key words for you in the second sentence:
    " Yes, it could be a review of hardware not publicly available. No, it could not be based on looking at pictures, watching videos, or doing websearches."

What Velcro_SP is saying is that there is a chance that a proper review has happened, in essence saying there's a chance you might be right, but it does not take away from the essence of earlier sentence, which is saying we have no real proof the device is ready.

Quote:

Let's get to the point: What is the semantic function of this "loose" link created by "when" in this phrase?

Quote:

I mean it's certainly not like for instance "The sun is shining, a bratwurst contains large amounts of cholesterol.", is it?

These quotes sum up where you're going wrong. A loose link does not mean unrelated. What's the semantic function of "however"? It links two statements but it does not imply anything more than another perspective to consider. The same with when in this context, it is not a 'when' saying something can't possibly be true because of this, but rather a 'when' saying 'look at it like this'.

Perhaps you're thinking 'that's not how I would use the word when', which is fine, but people don't have to talk exactly like you for you to understand them. Understanding context is as much about understanding the intentions of the author as it is about looking at the words being used. You're only seeing half the picture, if you looked at the other half I'm confident the words would make sense to you.

[ Edited by HenryCase 28.08.2011 - 11:30 ]
  • »28.08.11 - 11:24