• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    @Andreas_Wolf
    Quote:

So you say that you think it can't be a review "when not only hasn't it been reviewed, but it hasn't been sold" and at the same time say you think that a review can be done on "hardware not publicly available". Well, I'm not a native English speaker but I see a gross logical contradiction there as according to my understanding "when" equals "since", "as", or "because" in this context. I may be wrong in my understanding of this English phrase here but I won't take your word on it (as you surely understand) but prefer the opinion of another native English speaker. Anybody here being a sport and giving his opinion?

Yeah okay, why not. Whilst I wouldn't say I am a perfect communicator, I am English, and I therefore meet your criterion.

I haven't read the whole thread, but if I understand correctly the phrase in question is "when not only hasn't it been reviewed, but it hasn't been sold".

This is a perfectly solid statement, it's not quite how I'd word this message, but it does not contain a logical contradiction. If a native English speaker were to break it down, it would sound like "it hasn't been reviewed yet, it hasn't even been sold yet".

A phrase like this is used as a way of hammering home your point by piling up the facts with whomever you're debating with. The second statement is intended to be more dramatic than the first, but other this contrast, there is only a minor link between them.

For example, if I was talking about a new car due out on the market I could say "when not only hasn't it been driven yet, it hasn't even been built yet".

Does this make sense to you? If not, feel free to ask any questions you have.

[ Edited by HenryCase 27.08.2011 - 22:30 ]
  • »27.08.11 - 22:27