• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You alluded to a company that combined MIPS measurements

"Allude to" in the sense of "explicitly naming", yes.

> provided a websearch with "Freescale" among its search terms.

You seem confused. The websearch with the "freescale.com" term was provided by me only *after* you falsely claimed that I was referring to Freescale, to prove to you that it's *not* Freescale adding DMIPS numbers. The websearch in my prior posting which you didn't read properly only contained the terms "limepc.com" and "1700mips", nothing more.

> Seeing no reason why adding MIPS should be any "more truthful" than adding MHz

Just in case you don't see it yet (in case you do see, feel free to ignore this paragraph): Dhrystone is a performance benchmark, which can be used to compare different types of cores with each other. Clock frequencies are not directly related to any kind of performance and can only be used to indicate performance with hardware that is similar on a core level. CPUs, GPUs and DSPs are very different kinds of hardware on a core level, but if you run actual code on either one (compiled from the same source code that is), you're able to compare their actual performance in terms of the benchmark that consists of said code. So it actually has *some* relevance regarding the SoC's overall performance in terms of Dhrystone benchmark to be able to state the added up DMIPS figures. Of course, without telling each core's stake it's not of that much use, but still better than the absolutely meaningless clock frequency sum that is derived from adding up clock frequencies of sub-units.

> I took your expression "industry standard" to refer to the combining of MIPS
    > measurements. But you meant the MIPS benchmark only, not the combining of it.

Actually, by "industry standard" I did not only "mean" the Dhrystone benchmark alone, I also *wrote* it exactly that way:

"running an industry standard benchmark on either component and adding up the results"

> As has been clearly stated now, it is actually THTF's agent and LimePC
    > that have done this combining

Yes, stated by me first and then reiterated by you.
  • »03.02.11 - 12:35