• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > let's go to the videotape

On the videotape it's a "800 GHz processor" ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sxS-muxjQ

> you said even if you were wrong you were right

I said that even if Cherrypal didn't simply lie about the CPU's clock speed but added up the clock speeds of various SoC components it was still deceptive marketing. I stand by that.
    In case Cherrypal really added up the clock speeds of the CPU core, the GPU and the DSP I would have liked them stating something like "Telechips ARM11 800 MHz (500 MHz CPU + GPU + DSP) system-on-chip" as the CPU core's clock speed is an important spec to be able to compare the device with other ARM11 based devices.

> isn't your read of that text unconventional?

If it is then obviously TurboPascal's read is as well as he calls his findings a "significant mismatch" compared with the claimed specs.

> Why would the parentheses and repeated numerical symbol for addition be in
    > there if Cherrypal wasn't saying that the "800 MHz" adjective was directed at
    > the SoC, and that it was adding the frequencies of all three sub-units?

As I said, I didn't relate the part in parentheses to the preceding "800 MHz" part but to the succeeding "system-on-chip" part, to state that the SoC comprises a CPU, a GPU and a DSP. In that way of reading that spec the numerical symbol "+" would just mean "and".

> One person's plausibility is another's vicious rumor-mongering then.

Apropos, TurboPascal now went even farther than me, talking about the C515's successor:

"in good old Cherrypad tradition we can become very sceptical about the hardware matching the specs. To me the "Cherrypad 2" looks like a Kinpad I600. That will mean there might be some misfit between the actual CPU speed, which might rather be 800 Mhz and the announcement talked about 1 GHz, but we'll see."
    http://www.cherrypal.com/support/index.php?topic=1366.msg2034#msg2034
  • »23.01.11 - 16:25