• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yes, the "cortex" bunch.

Yes, but not all of them. Cortex-M and Cortex-R are not ARMv7-A. Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M1 are not even ARMv7 but ARMv6. That's why I specifically said Cortex-A.

> Those are superscalar

Yes, Cortex-A is. The other Cortex cores are not.

> Quite some favourites are there ([...] Snapdragons...).

Wikipedia is wrong there. Snapdragon uses the Scorpion core (mentioned in posting before), which is *not* an ARM Cortex but Qualcomm's own ARMv7-A implementation.

> My brother [...] told me that Marvell's original offerings were not strictly ARM cores,
    > but something that they bought from Intel (XScale) that happens to be compatible,
    > although it's not an ARM license.

That sounds a little confused ;-) First and foremost you have to understand the difference between licensing an ARM ISA version and licensing an actual ARM core (which implements a certain ARM ISA version). Marvell had been an ARMv5 ISA licensee even before they got XScale from Intel. That was when they had their Feroceon line of CPUs which they got together with the ARM ISA license by acquiring the company Asica in 2003. Later in 2006, they got another ARMv5 ISA implementation in the form of XScale. They merged Feroceon and XScale into the Sheeva PJ1 core, still implementing ARMv5 ISA of course. Then, Marvell licensed the ARMv6/v7 ISA and implemented their Sheeva PJ4 core from that.
    In that sense, Marvell never had "strictly ARM cores" to offer. All their ARM cores to date have been own implementations of some licensed ARM ISA version, not actual cores licensed from ARM Ltd. But on the other hand, that'd be like saying that the PA6T is not "strictly Power Architecture core" because P.A.Semi created that from an architectural license as opposed to licensing an actual Power Architecture core from IBM like Applied Micro, LSI and others have done.
    Like I said, the only ARMv7-A implementations I'm aware of right now are ARM Ltd's Cortex-A, Qualcomm's Scorpion and Marvell's Sheeva PJ4. If anyone knows some more I'd be glad to know :-)
  • »29.10.10 - 13:55