• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> a sub-$300 tablet computer called "America"

It's even sub-$200: Video presentation by Max Seybold

Watching it right now. Quite boring, which is very adequate for a consumer product: It works. The browsing experience was kind of depressing, with those very nineties like "mobile version" web sites. In all, it's like my brief experience with demo iPads at stores: It simply bores me, it can't do anything new or interesting.

But anyway, hey, it works, it seems to do everything the iPad does, only with less bells and wistles... and expense. Oh, shit, it has even reached mainstream, influential web sites...

Which led me to this phylosophical controversy: Why on earth are people so excited about tablets, that just do a subset of the things we've been doing since ages on our regular computers? How clever is a population that gets impressed by a form factor alone?

And a second thought: MorphOS Team, for god's sake, go ARM! There's such an amount of people, with orders of magnitude LESS talent than you, doing it...

You might say, this guy first said "go x86", and now this... Right, but just imagine the inevitable competition with a certain very popular operating system on x86. Now think how well MorphOS would compete against the kind of operating systems running on these ARM based toys. We ARE competitive! No one would repeat the sick "bah, MorphOS, it doesn't run office". I bet we meet ALL the requirements people expect from tablets...

...only faster. WAY faster. And cooler. Immensely cooler.
  • »08.10.10 - 07:55