MorphOS for PowerMAC G4 support coming
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

kickstart wrote:
    @ddewbofh

Are you sure that all gfx cards are flasheable? i have a powermac G4@400mhz (not enough for mos i think) but the bad point is on the ati rage.

400MHz G4 would be fast enough, but that model may not be supported, as the team only has enough resources to support a limited number of G4 PowerMacs and they have been working on the later models first.

After all, the Efika is only 400MHz G2 equivalent and it runs MorphOS very well.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.02.10 - 05:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Currently supported:Mac mini G4, Pegasos 1 & 2, Efika 5200B.
    Supported in the next release: Power Mac G4 (not all models, see initial post of this thread and Jacadaps added a rule of thumb that maschines above 1 GHz will do)
    Not confirmed but probably in the next release as well: Some G4 eMacs.
    Later on probably some PowerBooks.

That is why I asked lately for some specs sheet, I ask another time.

My point is to create a chart showing the specs supported, MacMini vs. PowerMac, plus the expected pricing. It is for the users that are now wondering whether get a mini or wait for a Power Mac.

The fact that all G4 minis are supported is very convenient but considering that only some Powermac G4 specs are to be supported, I suppose copy'n'pasting respective wikipedia specs chart will be very helpful (also serving as specs and pricing reference - for all supported Apple HW).

My personal 2 cents is that this upcoming release is a fantastic chance for all Amiga fans, also having Classic amigas to try MorphOS. Referring to what amigadave said at the very beginning, any Amiga fan having suitable PowerMac is going to be ought to try MorphOS soon :-)
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »21.02.10 - 10:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 400MHz G4 [...] model may not be supported, as the team only has enough
    > resources to support a limited number of G4 PowerMacs and they have been
    > working on the later models first.

If this 400 MHz PowerMac G4 is a "Sawtooth" model (aka "AGP Graphics") it may be supported. And even without 3rd party accelerator, I guess.
    I don't know if support for "Sawtooth" would include support for "Gigabit Ethernet" model as well, though.

Refer to:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6910&forum=11#71006 (second link therein)
  • »21.02.10 - 11:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Dreamcast270mhz
    Quote:

Pega-1 wrote:
    Well, let's see where we are at when MorphOS for PowerMac is actually released :)
    Currently it doesn't really look like it will be released with next MorphOS 2.x update. It is progressing very slowly and actually holds up releasing some interesting bug fixes.
    It has not finally been decided yet but PowerMac support probably won't make it into the next update, namely 2.5.
    IMHO Ralph was way too optimistic announcing it for the next update and actually I was surprised by that early announcement as well, really.

Considering this, I have my hopes shaken a bit that we won't have Powermac G4 in 2.5. I need to know for certain if this whole announcement is now null & void.

@Andreas
    The Gigabit model is almost totally identical to the sawtooth, the Quicksilver is basically an extension of the Sawtooth, nothing more, I think the "Yikes!" model with PCI graphics will be the odd one out, of course, I may be wrong.

@thread
    I was thinking, where I am PowerMac G4s are VERY cheap. I'm thinking about picking up a few Quicksilvers and refurbishing them to prepare for MOS 2.5.
    My Macs:
    Powerbook G4 ALU 1.5GHZ 15" 1.5GB OSX.5.8
    Powermac G4 MDD 1.5GHZ OSX.5.8 MOS2.7

Want a part for a Mac? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Amithlon is amazing, questions and help I can provide.
  • »05.03.10 - 00:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I would take the message you quoted at face value and not panic. It says that it is taking longer than anticipated, but not that it is going to be cancelled. When Ralph made his initial announcement, he claimed to already have MorphOS running on his own MDD PowerMac (although I am sure there was still work to be done, perhaps on ethernet and maybe USB/FireWire and some other items). He was optimistic about getting it also running on the QuickSilver model that he was about to receive for testing.

As for buying several G4 PowerMacs to refurbish prior to support for any PowerMac being released, I would not suggest that it is a good idea. The Macs you are looking at buying are likely to still be there weeks or months from now when support is officially released for the G4 PowerMac so having several of them sitting in your living room or garage waiting for the release does not seem to me to have any advantage. I do appreciate that you wish to help out other MorphOS users that might not be able to find G4 PowerMacs where they live at such good prices, or at all, but what are you going to do with them if you can't find buyers because no one wants to pay your cost + time to refurbish + postage to send it to them? You are free to do as you wish, but I think it would be smarter to find buyers first and negotiate the selling price plus postage, THEN go out and buy the PowerMacs you need. Just my suggestion and 2 cents.

Looking at prices in my area, or close by, I will likely go out and get one for myself when the release is finalized, but only after I see what the advantages are over the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini that I am typing this on now. There has to be some real world advantage of the 1.42GHz or faster G4 PowerMac over my G4 MacMini for me to spend the money on more new/used hardware and another MorphOS license key.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/3/4 18:25 ]
  • »05.03.10 - 01:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    You can change the gfx board, this is the bigger advantage but you need a specific mac only gfx card, on processing power 1,42 and 1,5ghz macminis must be faster than 1,42ghz powermacs, ram and bus speed on macmini is faster... if i remember.
  • »05.03.10 - 04:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Dreamcast270mhz
    Yeah, I forgot about that, I have the FW400 MDD with an OCed CPU card I have prepared for it. It would be best to wait, we probably won't see this release until the holidays or later.
    My Macs:
    Powerbook G4 ALU 1.5GHZ 15" 1.5GB OSX.5.8
    Powermac G4 MDD 1.5GHZ OSX.5.8 MOS2.7

Want a part for a Mac? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Amithlon is amazing, questions and help I can provide.
  • »05.03.10 - 13:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I don't really care if my 933MHz Quicksilver is slower than a Mac Mini. I just won a Sapphire9250 on Ebay for $14, and that will give me four times the video memory of the last Mac Mini. I've also purchased a Nec based USB2.0 card and a Sounblaster Live for the system (neither of which could be added to a Mini).
    Besides, even if you don't factor in the extra expansion capability, Powermacs just look cooler. And, right now, they're actually cheaper than Mac Minis.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.03.10 - 21:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @kickstart,

I had read that at least one other member thought the RAM and bus speed of the last versions of the G4 PowerMac was faster than the last G4 MacMinis, but I have not searched for specifications which would show the truth about which is faster.

Just guessing I would think that the last and fastest G4 PowerMacs would be faster and better at running MorphOS, but I have no reference information to confirm or deny that guess. Do you have any links to specifications or test results which compare the G4 PowerMacs to the fastest G4 MacMinis?

Being able to add PCI cards that are supported by MorphOS and AGP graphics/video cards that have double the VRAM, or more than the 64mb of VRAM that the last G4 MacMinis have is another advantage, and possibly the most important advantage to getting a G4 PowerMac instead of a G4 MacMini.

Since any G4 Mac above 1GHz will run MorphOS very well and faster than all other hardware options that have come before the release of MorphOS2.4, it comes down to price and expandability and the G4 PowerMac wins in those two areas (at least most of the time for price and all the time for expandability).

If I didn't already have a nice 1.5GHz G4 MacMini I would wait until the release of MorphOS support for G4 PowerMacs and just get by with my Efika. Then I would buy the best G4 PowerMac I could find for a decent price and put a graphics/video card with at least 128mb of VRAM and the best MorphOS supported sound card and a large hard drive into it and feel that I would be happy with that configuration for a few years while waiting to see what will happen with MorphOS.
  • »05.03.10 - 21:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > on processing power 1,42 and 1,5ghz macminis must be faster than 1,42ghz powermacs,
    > ram and bus speed on macmini is faster... if i remember.

You remember wrongly.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6910&forum=11#71014
  • »06.03.10 - 00:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    My apologies.
  • »06.03.10 - 15:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Unfortunatly I'm too lazy (and unable to two string words together) to do it myself, but could someone write an article for someone like low end macs http://lowendmac.com/ suggesting MorphOS as an interesting way to get some more life out of their old, err. low end macs?
  • »06.03.10 - 16:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    news ? :)
  • »19.07.10 - 17:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > news ? :)

MorphOS team member pega-1 about 1 hour ago (translation from German):

"The plan is still to support as many PowerMac (G4) models as possible with MorphOS 2.6."
    http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?p=44809#44809
  • »19.07.10 - 17:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I was actually thinking about switching from Mac Mini to PowerMac but why da hell they weigh about 20 kilos?? What makes them so heavy - case?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.07.10 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @pampers
    :) http://www.macmod.com/images/stories/mods/IMG_0469.JPG

well... PowerMac FW800 (and MDD) It's the best and more powerful, professional Apple Macintosh G4 system relased by Apple (better then Mac Mini G4, Powerbook G4, Emac G4, Ibook G4), I work from 7 ages in Apple's world and I know it :)
    I think (hope) It'll be the """Pegasos 3 G4""" :)

regards
  • »20.07.10 - 21:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    But 20 kilos, omg...
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.07.10 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    But 20 kilos, omg...

Well, it is definitely no laptop. So what's the issue. Let it get deliverd to your doorstep. Then take a breath and lift it up and place it where it will stay for the next couple of years.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.07.10 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PowerMac FW800 (and MDD) It's [...] better then [ ...] Powerbook G4

I think that heavily depends on what exactly is meant by "better". Expandability is surely better, but mobility is definitely worse :-)
  • »20.07.10 - 22:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    @Andreas_Wolf

quote :) I think the same

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/7/21 14:26 ]
  • »21.07.10 - 09:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > quote :)

Huh?
  • »21.07.10 - 09:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Zylsea: don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the fact that MorphOS will be ported to that machine. I actually think it's great. I just cannot believe that apple made such a heavy machine ;) My problem is that I live in Ireland and if I want to get a PowerMac the postage is gonna cost much more than PM itself ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »21.07.10 - 11:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • ZB
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    Anyone know if dual cpu upgrades from "GiGa Designs" will be supported ?
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »28.07.10 - 17:26
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    But 20 kilos, omg...

20 Kilos if I'm not mistaken is 44 pounds. My Powermac does not weigh 44 pounds. As it is not a primary (or even secondary) unit yet, I pick it up with one handle and lug it over to my desk to set up.
    If it weighed 20 kilos, it would stay there.
    And the case is solid and well made with some room for expansion. That's why it weighs so much.

Honestly, even using an aluminum case, is the G5 going to weigh that much less?

Also, as far as anyone knows, there hasn't been any word on 7447 or 7448 upgrades, but if you think about it other upgrades that use processor that were used in the Powermacs might work.

I'm looking at older upgrades (like Gigas and Xserve processors) right now as upgrade components.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/7/28 20:18 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.07.10 - 18:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > My Powermac does not weigh 44 pounds.

The PowerMac G4 MDD/FW800 weighs 42 pounds (= 19.1 kg). Your Quicksilver would be 30 pounds (= 13.6 kg).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4

> is the G5 going to weigh that much less?

PowerMac G5 weighs between 36 and 48.8 pounds (16.4 to 22.1 kg).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

> as far as anyone knows, there hasn't been any word
    > on 7447 or 7448 upgrades

As I told you several times already, there have been words on 7448 upgrades. I'm not going to give you the link again, though ;-)
  • »28.07.10 - 19:42