• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @kickstart,

I had read that at least one other member thought the RAM and bus speed of the last versions of the G4 PowerMac was faster than the last G4 MacMinis, but I have not searched for specifications which would show the truth about which is faster.

Just guessing I would think that the last and fastest G4 PowerMacs would be faster and better at running MorphOS, but I have no reference information to confirm or deny that guess. Do you have any links to specifications or test results which compare the G4 PowerMacs to the fastest G4 MacMinis?

Being able to add PCI cards that are supported by MorphOS and AGP graphics/video cards that have double the VRAM, or more than the 64mb of VRAM that the last G4 MacMinis have is another advantage, and possibly the most important advantage to getting a G4 PowerMac instead of a G4 MacMini.

Since any G4 Mac above 1GHz will run MorphOS very well and faster than all other hardware options that have come before the release of MorphOS2.4, it comes down to price and expandability and the G4 PowerMac wins in those two areas (at least most of the time for price and all the time for expandability).

If I didn't already have a nice 1.5GHz G4 MacMini I would wait until the release of MorphOS support for G4 PowerMacs and just get by with my Efika. Then I would buy the best G4 PowerMac I could find for a decent price and put a graphics/video card with at least 128mb of VRAM and the best MorphOS supported sound card and a large hard drive into it and feel that I would be happy with that configuration for a few years while waiting to see what will happen with MorphOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.03.10 - 22:59