• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I would take the message you quoted at face value and not panic. It says that it is taking longer than anticipated, but not that it is going to be cancelled. When Ralph made his initial announcement, he claimed to already have MorphOS running on his own MDD PowerMac (although I am sure there was still work to be done, perhaps on ethernet and maybe USB/FireWire and some other items). He was optimistic about getting it also running on the QuickSilver model that he was about to receive for testing.

As for buying several G4 PowerMacs to refurbish prior to support for any PowerMac being released, I would not suggest that it is a good idea. The Macs you are looking at buying are likely to still be there weeks or months from now when support is officially released for the G4 PowerMac so having several of them sitting in your living room or garage waiting for the release does not seem to me to have any advantage. I do appreciate that you wish to help out other MorphOS users that might not be able to find G4 PowerMacs where they live at such good prices, or at all, but what are you going to do with them if you can't find buyers because no one wants to pay your cost + time to refurbish + postage to send it to them? You are free to do as you wish, but I think it would be smarter to find buyers first and negotiate the selling price plus postage, THEN go out and buy the PowerMacs you need. Just my suggestion and 2 cents.

Looking at prices in my area, or close by, I will likely go out and get one for myself when the release is finalized, but only after I see what the advantages are over the 1.5GHz G4 MacMini that I am typing this on now. There has to be some real world advantage of the 1.42GHz or faster G4 PowerMac over my G4 MacMini for me to spend the money on more new/used hardware and another MorphOS license key.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/3/4 18:25 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.03.10 - 02:23