• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the MorphOS team has never showed any kind of interest for this kind of hardware, neither
    > by their words, nor by their action. Everything they have said, everything they have done,
    > and *not* done (in regards to OS development, UI development, application development,
    > etc) proclaims that MorphOS is a desktop OS for a limited and certain kind of computer
    > enthusiasts in Amiga's legacy, nothing more, nothing less.

There have been words:

...and following action:

All that, as well as MorphOS for Efika, was Genesi initiated efforts towards this:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5638&forum=2&start=2

But it takes more than simple port to live and prosper on an ARM device, that was my point. Only in the UI departments there are different requirements for a palmtop, a tablet, a TV or STB. Touch screen ? la smartphones? Battery and energy management for portable devices? And there needs lots of apps as well! PVR software, DTV software, teletext software, etc for TV and STB? Bluetooth and Wifi support? The list could be made quite long, depending on what you want to achieve, and on what kind of device.

But no work at all has been done in this direction AFAIK. Instead we have seen a lot of work been put into making the traditional desktop environment "Ambient" a lot better, the traditional desktop GUI "MUI" has had great improvements, etc. All work, all improvements and all additions to MorphOS has been geared towards the traditional desktop. And I didn't say that was a bad thing. This is what the current users wants, and what the developers wants to do. And MorphOS is a proclaimed hobby desktop OS, made for fun, to have fun with. So my guess is that it's going to be the desktop CPU (x86) rather than ARM, if/when there will be an architecture migration. That was my point.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.01.10 - 16:17