• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    @tmhg

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Well, there is a thing called Price Elasticity of Demand (Link: Wikipedia), this is real, and the point is that the price elasticity is different for different kind of products. In essence, some kinds of products gets "expensive" in people's minds faster than others. This is a fact, and some people should try to understand it.

That said, I think that MorphOS is worth the money, especially if you look at *the whole picture*; the *total* cost of both OS *and* the supported HW, and what you *actually get for your money*.

If your hobby is "Amiga NG", and you are prepared to spend money on this hobby, then MorphOS is *by far the cheapest option* compared to the only competing solution there is (and the OS is better performing on identical HW, it also offers better performance thanks to the much better performing HW it supports, it offers better Amiga compatibility, and it offers more and better features and specs)

Totally agree, and I think from this perspective (ie Hardware + OS = ?price) no-one would have a problem. For example, if the MOS team did not issue licenses seperately, but only through resellers (eg Amigakit) bundled with the hardware, I don't think anyone would have a problem paying E350 (200 h/w + 150 s/w) for a MorphOS equipped Mac-mini.

It's just when the price is broken down that it seems expensive on the face of it.

Quote:

I think much points in the direction that MorphOS 3.0 will be x86.

:-)

Interesting! Any links/quotes on which you are basing this? (it truly is the first I've heard of it!)

[EDIT]: I see here some of the speculative thinking behind this. Personally, I'd love to see a move to x86: not from any appreciation of the technical merit (or otherwise) of the architecture, but from a recognition of the reality of its current market domination of the desktop/notebook world coupled with a desire to see MorphOS succeed as a desktop/notebook OS.[/EDIT]

Have a good New Year takemehomegrandma!

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2009/12/31 15:34 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »31.12.09 - 13:39
    Profile Visit Website