• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    The OS is worth the price to me for a single license, but the current licensing model will undoubtedly need an overhaul at some point.

I agree.

And I see there is some whining going on here now, and from two directions as it seems:

1) First we have those who thinks the price is too high, or would like to see discounts for multiple registrations.

I think there is a point here, and in a completely unscientific manner (based solely on my own POV and willingness to spend) I would guess that at half the price, they could have sold 3x the amount of registrations, and at a third of the price, they could have sold 4x the amount, which could actually have meant *more* money instead of less. It could also have meant more users, which in long term could be worth more than a short term coin.

But the policy is set, and set in stone as it seems, so there is little point in continue this discussion.

2) Then we have those who whine about the first group of whiners, presenting "logical arguments" like: "How come you happily buy HW for 300 EUR or more, but when it comes to SW you think 150 EUR is too much money?"

Well, there is a thing called Price Elasticity of Demand (Link: Wikipedia), this is real, and the point is that the price elasticity is different for different kind of products. In essence, some kinds of products gets "expensive" in people's minds faster than others. This is a fact, and some people should try to understand it.

That said, I think that MorphOS is worth the money, especially if you look at *the whole picture*; the *total* cost of both OS *and* the supported HW, and what you *actually get for your money*.

If your hobby is "Amiga NG", and you are prepared to spend money on this hobby, then MorphOS is *by far the cheapest option* compared to the only competing solution there is (and the OS is better performing on identical HW, it also offers better performance thanks to the much better performing HW it supports, it offers better Amiga compatibility, and it offers more and better features and specs).

For "Amiga NG", MorphOS is the best and cheapest option. If you think it's too much money to spend on a hobby, find yourself a new hobby.

Harsh, but true.

Quote:

paradoxportal wrote:
    I think MorphOS will do great if it keeps finding hardware to use.

wouldnt it help if we all had a new SoC based board that were exactly the same as eachother? even like the new EFIKA ARM or something.

I think much points in the direction that MorphOS 3.0 will be x86.

:-)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2009/12/31 12:23 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »31.12.09 - 11:21