• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    19 developers is admirable, but compared to a commercial OS is a drop in the bucket. However this isn't quite the weakness it could be made out to be, because those 19 are way more on the same page than the vast and disparate groups or 'teams' that big developers like Microsoft have for their OS development.

MorphOS is pretty professional for its small scale, and its interface is actually more consistent than Linux-one of the biggest criticisms leveled at Linux. It's a valid one too-ever tried to learn several softwares of similar type on a Linux distro? Every developer has their own bright ideas about how it should work-and they're all different from everyone else's. MorphOS, like Amiga before it, has the advantage of consistency provided by being closed-source.

This is one big reason they can sell it as an OS you pay for. But back on topic, my scheme is good because a) All boxes are keyed by the MOS team individually, just like now. No MOS can run registered without the real, purchased key. b) No key leaves the MOS server without being paid for in advance-possibly well in advance. Finally, c) it becomes an actual practicality to have several MorphOS boxes in one house, all running the latest version so outside devs don't have to keep back-porting everything to 1.4x so most users can run it.

Because right now, I'd have to spend a thousand dollars to get all my boxes running MOS. That's a lot of money, guys. Most of your target market doesn't have that kind of money :-( $500 is way more do-able. Some of quite a lot is better than all of almost none. You'd end up with no piracy and lots more users/money doing it my way. Just sayin'..

You can still get as crazy as you want with MUI though :-)
  • »30.12.09 - 19:09
    Profile Visit Website