• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    Quote:

Fair enough, but don't whine if it ain't a PowerPC based box ;)

i'm part of those who think that morphOS needs to change his target platform as soon as possible. PowerPC or anything else ? honestly i don't care, as long as the system is kept alive, available, evolving.

+1

I think the MorphOS team does the right thing now when they are exploiting the existing PPC HW base to the fullest. They are porting it to "everything PPC that makes sense", and there are lots of powerful and cheap Mac's out there that are very capable machines.

But then what? What follows after the second hand Mac's?

The only new interesting 32bit PPC CPU today, is the 8610. It's one of the most powerful 32bit PPC CPU's ever, kind of the peak of the evolution, and it has some cool features. But then what? AFAIK, the e700 path was canceled altogether, and I'm not aware of any new e600 chips in the pipeline?

I'm hoping for the MPC8610 Open Source Mainboard to become a reality, but even then, this will at best *postpone* the inevitable architecture jump.

At some point, sooner or later, MorphOS will have to go either ARM or x86. And if there is going to be a jump, maybe "sooner" is better than "later"?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.12.09 - 14:39