• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I agree with all three of you (well not so much SoundSquare as I think the team should port MorphOS to a few more G4 Mac models before moving on to something else), in fact almost a year ago, or more I was suggesting on many forum posts here and at Amiga.org, that the MorphOS development team do exactly what they are doing. By porting to several of the PPC Mac models they have made it possible to get cheap hardware that is reasonably fast to run MorphOS on now and hopefully gives us the chance to grow the userbase a bit while the development team decides which direction to go next.

After a few more ports to different G4 Mac models, such as one or two of the G4 Mac laptop models, there will be no more reason to work on porting to any further PPC Mac models and the development team will have more time to concentrate on other ideas. If the team still thinks that it will not be practical to attempt to move MorphOS forward to the G5 PPC Mac models and no other suitable PPC hardware becomes available within the next year or two at the most, I think the team will be forced to either port to x86, or ARM architectures, or call it quits.

Going to another architecture is going to be a huge task and with their limited resources of only a few team members and only a limited amount of free hours in a week for those few team members to work on MorphOS, it makes it very hard to realize such a change.

To make it possible to move to any other different architecture we need to have more paying users, or more team members willing to work for nothing, or next to nothing. We also need more native software to help attract more users and while the team continues to polish up MorphOS, it will get closer and closer to a general public acceptable product.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/12/14 19:43 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.12.09 - 03:33