Topic is Locked
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Quote:

For example, each store of our chain in Spain has access points WITHOUT any kind of security: No encryption, and open authentication. That's because we are forced to use certain industrial WiFi terminals, that don't support advanced WPA security. Of course, our access points only allow connections from certain MAC addresses. And its SSID is hidden. That's all. We've never had any problem.

Just because you managed to walk repeatedly through a minefield and stay completely unscathed does not mean it is a secure or advisable thing to do.

I am not a hacker by any stretch of the imagination but I can find and download software to discover networks with hidden SSIDs in a matter of minutes. Spoofing MAC IDs is not brain surgery either.

Quote:

I'm sure there's many other places with this kind of configuration.

It may be different in Spain, but, in other parts of Europe, running an unencrypted network makes you legally responsible for anything the network is being used for (illegal file sharing would be one example, but there are far worse activities than that).

Quote:

Not having any WiFi because of the lack of WPA2, effectively, sucks. In fact, I almost can't believe it. Sure I've understood it bad. I also understand that writing a WiFi stack already is a hell of a job...

The implication that there is no Wi-Fi support in MorphOS because of a lack of WPA2 is nonsense. There is no Wi-Fi support with or without encyrption. Period.

Anyway, there have been third-party Wi-Fi drivers in the past (Prism2). There could be new ones in the future. However, I doubt that the original post that started this thread is suitable to motivate any developer to do anything...
  • »28.09.09 - 10:35
Topic is Locked