• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    From what I know, you can't compete with computing power

I think I've discussed this before, but seriously, I'm curious as to why people say that all the time. I have a MPC8610@1.3Ghz here and it absolutely destroys the G4@1Ghz in terms of performance (200-300% speed increase is not unusual). The 8640D is even better (being dual core). I'm pretty positive that the *only* thing the G4 on the mac mini or the powerbook is going to beat the MPC8610 on are cpu-intensive computations with NO memory access (like a mandelbrot fractal). Even a 3D renderer would be much faster on the 8610 as it actually needs totally random access to memory. Don't forget the 8610 has a 533Mhz memory bus.

With regards to the P1022, well, I can't say for sure as it's quite a different design, but that one has a DDR3 memory interface (~800Mhz) which would make up for its somewhat slower CPU design.

So actually yes, I can compete -rather the cpus chosen can- in processing power, in fact I would say it's the other way around. But seriously, I do not intend to start a flame here, I'm too anxious to see if this thing will actually become reality. :)

[ Edited by feanor on 2009/11/7 16:34 ]
  • »07.11.09 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website