• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    feanor
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    I explained myself badly: Desing a completely new Mini-ITX (for example) board, taking all the knowledge from the evaluation board. Of course, those connectors for development purposes should be gone.
    By the way, it's just a shame that you have to repeat the work that NEC already did with its Redtail board. Has anybody here seen one, ever?

No, only the photos posted on powerdeveloper.org.

Quote:

I assume you no longer work for Genesi.

Hehe, actually I was never a Genesi employee, although they did fund my Altivec work on libfreevec and other stuff initially, and I will most likely work with Genesi in the future in other things as well, like ARM NEON stuff. In fact, this motherboard, if it happens it will happen with Genesi's cooperation, after all they're the ones that know how to build cool PowerPC systems and that's why I contacted them in the first place.

Quote:

I think that's reasonable for a new MPC8610 computer, with a reasonable amount of expansion options - Yes, a single PCI slot is too little. But you have a problem: I won't buy it because my Pegasos is not broken yet. And many people will think the same: If you aren't rich, why would you buy another computer to do the same (enjoy MorphOS). Well, it's faster, but can you mention smething that us Morhers do, that needs a lot of processing power?

Yes, that is indeed a problem that I begin to realize. Many people might complain about lack of available new hardware, but if it was there tomorrow, would they buy it?

Quote:

I guess you have a perfectly complete idea about viability, at least MorphOS wise. As for different markets, you could use again the idea of the "CrabFire", years ago: A Pegasos based firewall (running Linux, of course) that could be labelled as more secure because it used a weird (PowerPC) processor, and thus malware for it was unexistant. Sure you remember the project, it came from Gunne Steen, if I remember correctly.
    For other markets... I guess a bloody PC with Windows gets the job done easier and cheaper.

There are many markets, including embedded, which could be approached yes, but first I want to have an idea of how many people are interested with MorphOS/AmigaOS/Haiku/etc. In the end of October, I'll post a summary of exactly how many people sent me an email, and we can discuss it from there. I think it's a fair amount of time to make such an estimate.

Quote:

Give us a computer for having fun! (that's why we were so grateful to Genesi anyway).

True! That's why I want to make it also! (I lied about not doing it for fun, fun is a very important factor, but it's not the deciding one, unfortunately :)
  • »24.09.09 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website