(Please delete)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2009/5/25 10:23 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.05.09 - 19:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    When MorphOS will jump to x86, MorphOS will die. It's more reasonable to use Win, Linux or something else on x86. The only way is to jump to ARM.

Also we can make bounty for POWER7 based homePC :))
    Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
    Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »25.05.09 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    One step after another. Let's see how MorphOS on the Mini will be like first and then let the team decide which route seems reasonable to them.
    We can cast our votes then, but in the end it is up the the team anyway (but I think they should and will listen to other's words when making their decision).

But first let's concentarte on the Mini and make it a success!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.05.09 - 11:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    @ tmhg: What i need that power for you ask, hmm for all the task i am used to do with my G4. And i am looking for more power after 5-6 years with G3 and G4 with up to 1Ghz a Mini or maybe oneday a Powerbook wit up to 1,67Ghz is welcome and in the future i would like to have even more power then the Mini and Powerbook has to offer. I don`t wont to end like the OS4 Boys with a Efika/Sam class board in the future.

@ mobydick: This "x86 will Kill MOS or Amiga" argument is so lame these days. If f. ex. the MOS Devs would say with the next release we will support Intel Minis and Macbooks i would say great on one maschine i would have MOS, OSX and Windows. I would never stop using MOS i have a Mac and 2 PCs at home bot running WIndows. But i love MOS i would never seriously think about droping MOS because Windows and OSX has the better or more Apps. MOS has better usebility and is faster and more fun for every day use. On the other hand if there would be a PPC solution with enough power and with a price not much higher then Pegasos2 was i would be fine with PPC.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »25.05.09 - 18:55
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 29.06.2011 - 12:40 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »25.05.09 - 19:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Marketing plans for mac mini? Same markeing if a new efika or pegasus wll be released, the forums.
  • »25.05.09 - 20:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    Quote:

ThePlayer wrote:

This "x86 will Kill MOS or Amiga" argument is so lame these days. <skip>

I understand your position. But I meant only practical reasons. I don't need three and more OS to decide my usual home problems (WEB, mail, read/type texts). BTW, under MorphOS I can't use LaTeX, read DjVu, Word's documents; I have problems with some WEB pages I need (because of Flash and javascripts) and so on and so forth... I need restart NetStack every 20-30 mins (my new ISP uses DHCP and cable connected to Pegasos directly. Incoming traffic stops after 20-30 mins of usage).

So, should I use MorphOS, when I can install another OS and use it without such troubles?
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »25.05.09 - 21:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > should I use MorphOS, when I can install another OS
    > and use it without such troubles?

You're the only one to know. After all, you said that MorphOS doesn't offer the things you need. So, how do you solve these tasks now?
  • »25.05.09 - 23:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's more reasonable to use Win, Linux or something else on x86.
    > The only way is to jump to ARM.

Linux is also available on ARM.
  • »25.05.09 - 23:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @mobydick

Quote:

When MorphOS will jump to x86, MorphOS will die. It's more reasonable to use Win, Linux or something else on x86. The only way is to jump to ARM.

MorphOS is competing against Windows on every platform every time. Price, availability, performance, applications...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.05.09 - 08:43
  • ZB
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    @ itix

Very true...
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »26.05.09 - 08:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    @Andreas_Wolf

It's "mystery of russian soul" ;) Some kind of tasks can be solved using Niktarix, sending unreadable - receiving readable documents, using office computer or computer of third person. I love MorphOS powered by PowerPC (or PowerPC powered by MorphOS), and I'm ready to be few irrational, but I'm too rational to use MorphOS on x86. It's silly, sorry...

ARM... I don't know, what I think about it.

@itix, ZB

Nice joke :)
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »26.05.09 - 10:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Quote:

It's more reasonable to use Win, Linux or something else on x86.
    The only way is to jump to ARM.

Linux is also available on ARM.

And so is Windows (ce)

Also, there has been discussion recently about the possibility of Microsoft making ARM version of windows 7(?) in the future aswell.

Anyway in my opinion, it should be more important what you CAN do (buy hardware cheaply, run operating system of your choice) rather than what you can't (run windows or linux)

In any case, better wait untill Mac Mini version is ready.
  • »26.05.09 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Some kind of tasks can be solved using Niktarix, [...] using office
    > computer or computer of third person. [...] I'm too rational to use
    > MorphOS on x86.

So you already do use non-MorphOS operating system(s) from time to time, just not on the same machine as MorphOS. But where would be the real difference? Two computers -- one with MorphOS, one with Windows, you use the one you like/need at the moment; or one computer -- MorphOS and Windows installed, you boot into the OS you like/need at the moment. I can't see any difference. In fact, many MorphOS user already have also Linux installed on their MorphOS machine (me included). Did they become Linux users abandoning MorphOS by that? I don't think so.

> It's silly, sorry...

Don't be silly ;-)
    MorphOS users use MorphOS because they want to use it, not because they are forced to by lack of (mainstream) alternatives running on their hardware.
  • »27.05.09 - 01:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what you can't (run windows or linux)

Why one can't run Windows or even Linux?
  • »27.05.09 - 01:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mobydick
    @Andreas_Wolf

I don't know, how to explain it... (When i was a child, mother said me: "learn english" :)) I'll not use MorphOS on x86.
    peguser.narod.ru
  • »28.05.09 - 11:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @mobydick whatever :-)

@thread

I posted this because I was pretty much sure no "official" MOS Dev communicate would appear. Its those guys' nature and I pay a lot of respect for it anyway, especially when the system doesn't come for free, I mean seriously, that's a temper :-)

The issue is simple not to say simplistic. There are tons of mac minis everywhere. Some are still in use (like mine but it is dying), some other gather dust in the attics, others are being fed fishes with. If some in-house actions appear only and they will (Amiga forums, Amiga Futire etc), lots of people would have a "brand new retro Amiga" machine, great cannot wait myself. But what in the hell is the problem to post this very information on Mac forums??? To the point - not just post it, post it wisely?

I say Mac people are 500 x more prone than Windows users to bother to read of such a weird stuff as MorphOS system. And more, they're 5 x more prone than Linux users. I heard some unreasonable voices trying to distinguish Mac people from Amiga people. Man! Nowadays certain % of people having a mac owned an Amiga. Just count all these Commodore sales and when do you think those people went mostly? I don't know the answer but... they're still there! Having Mac or Windows. I assume all psychologically, that the percentage of ex Amiga geeks that has Macs exceeds 1/3 of the total. Aren't these numbers large enough?

I think it is not only stupid to let go and leave the Mac world (forums etc.) untouched or untold because it destroys many things. If MOS for Mac sales (if I may call it that) turns nothing, Hyperion wouldn't mind doing anything for it either, next MOS platform release will be in 3-4 years, most people still playing UAE on whichever will still live in assumption that Amiga is dead for nearly 20 years.

C'mon man, is the first time such serious figures we're talking, or am I wrong???
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »28.05.09 - 19:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @DiskDoctor,

As someone else has already posted here or in another thread, it would not be a good idea to post information about MorphOS3.0 for the MacMini in Mac forums around the Internet until it is very close to being released. I would say no more than one month from their calculated release date, and as we all know, it is very difficult to guess when an OS release will be finished by the developers, even for the developers themselves.

So, I think the MorphOS development team is smart that they do not release information for something that is not finished, or give dates of when it will be done, because often those predictions are incorrect and people get upset too easily if a promised release is late.

For myself, I would like to get information about the progress of their work, but I am not mad or upset if I do not get that information. As we all have seen in the past on many different projects, any released information always leads to more questions and the development team slows down when they have to read all those questions, even if they do not take the time to answer them.

I am just glad the team has announced that they are working on this port to the MacMini, as I believe it was the best choice for them to make at this time and hopefully it will also lead to future work which will lead to having MorphOS3.x run on some of the Mac laptop computers. MorphOS3.x running on a 17 inch PowerBook with 1.67GHz G4 CPU will be a very nice thing to have someday if it happens.

So, again my advice is to be patient and remember that it will be done when it is done and the development team has already released more information than they usually would do for this port. They are unlikely to change their ways and start releasing more information before it is finished, and I doubt very much that they will start posting information on Mac forums before it is done and will not be happy about other people that are not on the development team posting information on those Mac forums without their permission.

Edit: There will be plenty of time to post messages on Mac forums AFTER MorphOS3.0 is completed and ready for sale to the general public. That is the best time to try to generate lots of excitement about it to those ex-Amiga users that own G4 MacMinis. Maybe we should create a poll here on MorphZone to get the opinions of all the members asking if they think it would be a good idea to post a very simple news item to many Mac forums around the Internet that just said "Amiga-Like OS is coming to the G4 PPC MacMini soon! - See information and discussion about it at morph.zone".

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/5/29 11:44 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.05.09 - 18:36
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Quote:

kickstart wrote:
    Marketing plans for mac mini? Same markeing if a new efika or pegasus wll be released, the forums.

The difference being there will be other forums to spread the word in besides the Amiga forums. I'm guessing that when this does come out the MOS team will get free marketing from several users who will just choose on their own to spread the word around Mac related forums.
  • »29.05.09 - 21:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @fairlanefastback

Most of mac users cant heard about linux because the "superiority" of osx, imagine it with mos, they become craz with the idea of run another os in their beloved highdesigned macs and dont say something about the word ppc, this word is pure retro in that world.
  • »30.05.09 - 14:44
    stephen_robinson
    To be fair, OSX is Superior

I've just had a fun day trying out diffferent Linuxes on a second hand Dual 533 PPC powermac:-

Ubuntu couldn't find the install CD, that's the CD it had booted from...
    open SUSE Couldn't get this one to work, Installed ok, but wouldn't boot from hard drive, looking into it more I'd have to copy the boot image in a simiar way as I had to do with my Pegasos install, I think I've worked out how to do it now, but I've alread spent hours on it.

Debian worked, well apart from the sound, but I had to do much googling to get the GUI to start, and set it so it would actually use the the second CPU.

All this suprised me, I had trouble installing Linux on my Pegasos, which given it's a rather obscure little MB I could understand. But I was expecting that the large distros would have just worked on a mac given the limited hardware available and that Mac makes up the vast majority of PPC hardware.

Anyway, it's rather old school Linux fun and games to get Linux on a mac, which I'm getting a little too old for to be honest, and when you get it on, I didn't find Debian/gnome any speedier than Tiger to be honest, looks are subjective, but Well, yeah...

There's things like flash for PPC Apple, but not PPC Linux, I think there's a beta of Open Office 3 for MacOSX but not PPC Linux. And there's no MS Office for Linux of course...

So MorphOS then, I think it'll be aimed more at people intrested in OS, who happen to have a MiniMac rather than Black polonecked Apple fans that will be the target.

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/5/31 0:15 ]
  • »30.05.09 - 23:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    So, I think the MorphOS development team is smart that they do not release information for something that is not finished, or give dates of when it will be done, because often those predictions are incorrect and people get upset too easily if a promised release is late.

Yes, I think it is better to wait until it's ready, I mean with the actions. Though we've still got a plenty of time to talk about it, don't we?

Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:
    To be fair, OSX is Superior

That's right. It is funny some people post those things about OS X as if it was a mystery or something :-) Unfortunately it is a mystery because most Windows users did not see OSX live, let alone linux people.

Quote:

So MorphOS then, I think it'll be aimed more at people intrested in OS, who happen to have a MiniMac rather than Black polonecked Apple fans that will be the target.

Well mainly that but also at ex-Amiga owners, I'm writing this some tenth time.

I'm having a Mini and enjoy it much. I wouldn't let in Linux because I want to use my computer, not be fixing it (got one on another machine for my work but I use it for work, not fun!). But please distinguish MorphOS for Mini from Linux for Mini!!! Linux is a "free OSX that pretends that it works". MorphOS is "fancy Amiga-like system for your Mini". Please remember those cliches because I think this kind of phrases would be a key selling point for MOS Mini PPC outside the "nowadays Amiga world", that is Mac portals.
  • »31.05.09 - 12:04
    stephen_robinson
    I was just looking about the possibility of putting BSD on an old mac, here's the start to the Official install guide for netBSD:-

"Take a deep breath.
    Good. Now, make sure you are reading the PostScript or HTML version of this document, as the .txt and .more versions lack important formatting information that will prevent you from following the twisted path documented below. OK, good. Now, print out this document.

While it's printing, get some coffee, relax a bit, and mentally prepare yourself for something that promises to be confusing, frustrating, and annoying. If you assume the worst, you'll be pleasantly surprised when everything works easier than you expected. Also, forget everything you've been told about installing NetBSD/macppc. That's right, flush your knowledge cache -- some of it is almost certainly dirty.

Some of this document assumes familiarity with MacOS, e.g. how to download BinHex files and extract things with StuffIt Expander. If you've never heard of those terms before, it is possible to install NetBSD/macppc without booting or knowing how to use MacOS, but depending on your model it may be almost as painful as learning a little MacOS. See the FAQ for more help: http://www.NetBSD.org/ports/macppc/faq.html#macos-newbie

It's done printing? Fine, time to get started."

http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.0/macppc/INSTALL.html

Now I like that, as least they're honest! But could you imaging the typical "I like Mac everything just works(c)" fan going into that sort of thing! Much easier to stay in the safty of MacOSX (and Darwin of course!)

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/5/31 22:34 ]

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/5/31 22:35 ]

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/5/31 22:35 ]
  • »31.05.09 - 21:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:
    Now I like that, as least they're honest! But could you imaging the typical "I like Mac everything just works(c)" fan going into that sort of thing! Much easier to stay in the safty of MacOSX (and Darwin of course!)

I can as long as any Mac guy isn't forced to get through things like yourself. Then he or she wouldn't mind really, just for curiosity as long as there's a Live CD.
  • »01.06.09 - 18:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think there's a beta of Open Office 3 for MacOSX

There are official release versions of 3.0, 3.0.1 and 3.1.0 for MacOSX/PPC.
  • »02.06.09 - 20:28