• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    To be fair, OSX is Superior

I've just had a fun day trying out diffferent Linuxes on a second hand Dual 533 PPC powermac:-

Ubuntu couldn't find the install CD, that's the CD it had booted from...
    open SUSE Couldn't get this one to work, Installed ok, but wouldn't boot from hard drive, looking into it more I'd have to copy the boot image in a simiar way as I had to do with my Pegasos install, I think I've worked out how to do it now, but I've alread spent hours on it.

Debian worked, well apart from the sound, but I had to do much googling to get the GUI to start, and set it so it would actually use the the second CPU.

All this suprised me, I had trouble installing Linux on my Pegasos, which given it's a rather obscure little MB I could understand. But I was expecting that the large distros would have just worked on a mac given the limited hardware available and that Mac makes up the vast majority of PPC hardware.

Anyway, it's rather old school Linux fun and games to get Linux on a mac, which I'm getting a little too old for to be honest, and when you get it on, I didn't find Debian/gnome any speedier than Tiger to be honest, looks are subjective, but Well, yeah...

There's things like flash for PPC Apple, but not PPC Linux, I think there's a beta of Open Office 3 for MacOSX but not PPC Linux. And there's no MS Office for Linux of course...

So MorphOS then, I think it'll be aimed more at people intrested in OS, who happen to have a MiniMac rather than Black polonecked Apple fans that will be the target.

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/5/31 0:15 ]
  • »31.05.09 - 00:13