• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    1. I think it's a cool chip, but it's dual core which makes it less appealing in a MorphOS context (you pay 100% of the cost while MorphOS only can use 50% of the power). It's also e500 cores (what used to be "G3"), i.e. it has no Altivec. If you want e500 there are a few other SoC's in the PowerQuick line of products that would perhaps be more suitable in a MorphOS context. A more interesting chip however (in a desktop context) is the 8640(D) (preferably the single core version, i.e. the one without the "D" extension) or the 8610. They are also SoC's, but they are built on the e600 core (they have Altivec). The 8640 has better connectivity options and would fit nicely in a "Pegasos 3" desktop motherboard with PCI-Express graphics. The 8610 is possibly the best performing 32-bit PPC implementation that was built by Freescale, also it has a built in display controller that would make sense in a netbook or similar (but you could still build a motherboard with a PCI-Express graphics slot of course).

2. But for any of these chips *truly* becoming interesting in a MorphOS context it would require that someone actually builds suitable motherboards using them. I don't see this happening. Genesi worked on both a 8641D and 8610 design, but has put those on the shelve in favor of their ARM effort around the i.MX515 SoC. Are there anyone else?

3. In short term we have the Mac Mini version of MorphOS to look forward to. Maybe a powerbook release will follow? But then what? There is no interesting roadmap for the PPC platform anymore. What will follow the 8610, that will be more powerful and have even more features? The answer is probably "nothing". The e700 is nowhere to be seen (probably shelved), and since Apple went x86, Freescale's PPC strategy is all about network and automotive controllers. I think that MorphOS at some point down the road will have to jump to either ARM or x86. Or both.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.04.09 - 08:06