Topic is Locked
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think Velcro is right

I don't. And I don't think you are either :-P

> back in the time before the 5121e they were evaluating various ways
    > of creating a "next generation Efika" (LimePC kind of devices)
    > based on the 5200b. I think one idea was to use a FPGA, another was
    > to use a traditional GPU. At that time they chose XGI

You say it yourself: "before the 5121e". I think Velcro_SP clearly refered to the time *of* the 5121e (based plans) when talking about the time Genesi "were still involved with the device that became CherryPal", not to the time of their very own plans based on 5200B.
    And btw, only one of the three proposed "next generation Efika" designs was supposed to be a "LimePC kind of device", namely the one with onboard XGI Volari GPU (plus onboard FPGA). The other two designs, one with FPGA and the other one without FPGA, were both supposed to have a PCI slot for gfx.

Eventually, to let speak the MorphOS gfx driver developer pega-1 himself (German):

"Die Karte wird deswegen unterstuetzt, weil diese Karte mit einer Komplettkonfiguration des EFIKA in den USA ausgeliefert wurde".
    (Translation: The [Volari] card is supported [by MorphOS] because it was distributed as part of a complete EFIKA system [a.k.a. Efika Open Client] in the US.)

In conclusion, though being based on the work already done for long time implemented MorphOS 2D support for SiS 3xx chipset, V3XT/V3XE driver development for MorphOS could not have been started before May 2007. So while your explanation would make good sense regarding the causal connection, it doesn't fit regarding the alleged time. With Vecro_SP's explanation it's exactly the other way round.
  • »05.04.09 - 15:45
Topic is Locked