• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I know what you mean about the Xenon. It is more impressive than the Cell, but Microsoft is never going to let us use that one. As far as contacting the President of IBM, just go to their website - they have his e-mail address posted there.
    I also understand how difficult it can be dealing with Freescale. They want $4000 for the MPC8641D development board, and according to Maureen Lyman at Freescale the processor isn't even considered a production item yet (they have none in stock and none to sample). How many years ago did Genesi look at that platform? I think it was around 2006 when I saw the first postings about it. Plus, I'm beginning to doubt that Freescale really does intend to build an e700 core.
    So, what have we got to look forward to in terms of Power PC processor advancements? Well there is always the long rumored IBM Power7 architecture. And there is AMCC's Titan core (while its only going to operate at 2GHz its a neat low power multi-core design). And then there are the Cell (and Cell derived processor like the PowerXCell 8i). Frankly, at this point I'm leaning toward that design.
    After all, think about it, Bill over at Amiga Inc. has released specs on two designs that probably won't see the light of day. The high end design relies on a PA Semi processor that may not be available in the future and the low end design relies (once again) on a relatively slow Freescale Soc. We had better equipment from Genesi several years ago.
    If we want competitive hardware we need to look at several upgrades (to our current components). First, we need more powerful processors (and at some point we need to consider multiple cores). We need modern expansion busses (like PCI-e) and accessories (like the upcoming USB 3.0 port standard). And of course one of the most important things is we need good operating systems and software.
    I know I may push these ideas a little harder than most would, but I really believe we can attain these goals.

BTW - While it's mainly designed for video manipulation, look at what Sony intends to release soon.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/ZEGO/files/BCU-100_Whitepaper.pdf

Four times more XDR than in the PS3, 1G of DDR2, no restrictions on accessing the RSX, and a Southbridge that allows for the real time manipulation of video and audio streams.
    Now THAT makes my mouth water. How'd you like to port Morphos or Amiga OS4 to that?

Take care
    Jim

[ Edited by Jim on 2009/1/31 2:16 ]

[ Edited by Jim on 2009/1/31 2:18 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.01.09 - 00:37