MOS 2.2 EFIKA: ATA device not present or not responding
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    I have got a Transcend 16GB CF card installed on my EFIKA. I have booted from the MOS 2.2 install image, partitioned the CF card (50MB FFS, the rest of the card SFS) and installed MOS. The first time I tried to boot from the card it hung on "Quark/OpenFirmware". I rebooted and tried again, and now every time I try to boot I get "ATA device not present or not responding". It does the same if I do "ls hd". Now if I try to boot from the boot image with the card inserted it hangs on "Quark/OpenFirmware". If I remove the card and boot from the boot image it starts up fine. I'm sure I have used this card before. Any ideas what I can do?

TIA
  • »20.01.09 - 14:20
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    I thought I would try zero-filling the card and starting again with a brand new RDB. Put the card in to a USB reader and plugged it in to my Mac and it's not recognised at all. Same thing with a Windows machine. I think the card might be dead :-(

How can a CF card die after a reboot? :-?

[ Edited by motorollin on 2009/1/20 14:37 ]

[ Edited by motorollin on 2009/1/20 14:37 ]
  • »20.01.09 - 14:37
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    how about to try to format it inside a digital camera? afaik, windows use mbr, while morphos use the rdb, maybe there is some conflict...

bye, MarK.
  • »20.01.09 - 14:48
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    I had the same thing, but with a hard drive i ended wrighting to genesi

they said to try

you have with that Samsung hard drive :

0xe 0xf0003a5c c! 5 ms
    0xa 0xf0003a5c c! 5 ms

The code have to be the first entry in
    your nvramrc.

Nvedit, make the above changes, controll c, nvstore.

this worked for my hard drive, don think this exact would work for you, but maybe its timing like mine was
  • »20.01.09 - 15:12
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    @MarK
    I'm sure I've formatted RDB disks in a Mac before. It just says it's not formatted and offers to erase the disk for you. This time, it doesn't even seem to recognise that the card is inserted. Same for the Windows machine. I don't have a digital camera with a CF slot so I might try setting up my A1200 and see if that can do it.

@montymole
    Not sure I fully understand what I need to do. Are they changes you make in OF?

[ Edited by motorollin on 2009/1/20 15:44 ]
  • »20.01.09 - 15:43
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    i would go back to start

with CF card in adaptor, in ide slot
    boot from usb stick efikainstall.img

start hdconfig, remove all partitions click on save, reboot
    boot again from usb stick, run install program make just one partition
    format simple sfs format reboot when install finished
    boot hd:0 wi boot.img

if you still get error would say cf card or adaptor is at fault

yea i had to change nvramrc in OF to slow OF probe of drive down, so drive had time to spin up, CF don't spin up...
  • »20.01.09 - 16:55
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    motorollin
    But I can't even boot the install image when the 16GB CF card is connected to the IDE interface. It just hangs on "Quark/OpenFirmware" if I try.

I have now got MOS installed on a 512MB card and it works fine (same CF->IDE adapter). I connected the 16GB card to a CF->USB adapter and plugged it in to the EFIKA, and HDConfig sees a device on usbscsi:0, but says no medium is inserted. So I think the card is dead :-(

Fortunately it's a Transcend, and I think they give lifetime warranty.
  • »20.01.09 - 17:11