• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Still, maxing out at 1.5Ghz, its hard to argue for the creation of new motherboards that would be quite expensive when there are so many G4 Macs available.

Well, there are some pros for the 86xx. Very fast memory bus. No 74xx solution comes even close to that. Could increase the speed for data intesive processes significantly.
    High integration, low wattage. The Mac mini is pretty tiny, lw wattage and a real hardware gem, but with the 86xx tiny boards with low wattage are easy to design, too (I think t he NEC redtail board looked nice).
    It's new. I personally don't care about that too much, but others have a strong preference for new devices.

Quote:

Even the P5010 with its higher performance potential may not make sense when faced with G5 Macs.

While relatively cheap and powerful the Apple G5 computers have also some significant draw backs: They are big boxes (but looking goooood ;-)). And they draw a lot of electrical juice. And they are to get used only.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.08.10 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website