• Just looking around
    Hammer
    @Velcro_SP

To quote Neko
    Quote:

As efficient as the Atom N270 is (at 1.3-1.6Ghz the specs say 2W-4W) it is always coupled with the Intel 945GC/945GM northbridge, which has specs topping 25W in use.

You cannot use the Atom without that bridge, and Intel are not moving Atom to the "integrated northbridge" model

Intel "Pineview" is an Atom based SOC i.e. it includes a single-channel DDR2 memory controller and an integrated graphics core.

Intel Moorestown is comprised of a system on a chip, code-named ?Lincroft?, which integrates the 45nm processor, graphics, memory controller and video encode/decode onto a single chip and an I/O hub codenamed ?Langwell?, which supports a range of I/O ports to connect with wireless, storage, and display components in addition to incorporating several board level functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcN_9vZ7j20
    Intel Moorestown based MID demo.

Quote:

they are pushing for their new high end quad-core chips (possibly because it would increase the die size way past their target, and die size directly impacts cost).

Intel has the advantages
    1. economic of scale.
    2. process technology.
    3. large "cash at bank".

Quote:

Then of course on any design, you have to add RAM power costs; this can be anything from 3W to 10W depending on how much you have.

Compare an equivalent PowerPC - the MPC8610 or MPC8640D at the lower clock rates - and you are looking at chips which do all the Atom and 945 combination do, in a single chip package. This makes layout easier, which makes PCBs easier to design and smaller, and of course even the dual-core PowerPC chip uses less power with zero power management than the Atom and 945.

Of course the MPC5121e does better, but it's nowhere near as good as CherryPal say it is. Not by a long shot.

To contrast the i.MX515 uses a lot less than the MPC5121e plus it has highly aggressive power management as all ARM chips do.

The context was;
    1. MX515 is a netbook (processor).
    2. Intel 945GC/945GM northbridge = 25watts
    3. "all the Atom and 945 combination"

Neko's generalisation would fail for ASUS EeePC i.e. it doesn't use 945GC/945GM and MX515 is a netbook.

Quote:

We were talking about watts in net-tops.

MX515(1) is a netbook (processor) hence ASUS EeePC.

1. Refer to http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX515

[ Edited by Hammer on 2009/4/9 14:33 ]

[ Edited by Hammer on 2009/4/9 14:36 ]
  • »09.04.09 - 13:34