• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Some additions to my own posting:

> it's e500. And that's as well the reason the QorIQ is not the least
    > promising for me as a desktop Power Architecture (i.e. MorphOS) user.
    > The e500's (and e200's) FPU implementation is incompatible with the
    > one of the e300 and e600

The above is only true for the QorIQ P1 and P2 platforms, which use the e500v2 core, but not for the eight-core P4 platform, which uses the new e500mc. Up to now I wrongly assumed the e500mc to be just the multi-core (with "multi" greater than 2) enabled variant of the e500v2. As a look into this nice document revealed, that's not the case.
    Obviously and to my surprise, the e500mc got the pre-e500mc's embedded FPU implementation replaced by an e300/e600 compatible FPU implementation. Furthermore, the pre-e500mc's SPE SIMD (not to be confused with Cell's SPEs) is gone in the e500mc. But unfortunately, it didn't get replaced by AltiVec SIMD.
    In summary, as a MorphOS user I have mixed feelings about the QorIQ. The variants matching an OS that is not SMP capable are of no use due to the incompatible FPU implementation, and the variant matching the way FPU support is implemented in the OS is an overkill eight-core beast. And AltiVec is missing generally. A single-core e500mc based CPU (as suggested as an implementation possibility in the linked document) would be nice, though.

Edit:
    Link to video because PDF document seems to be taken down.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf on 2009/9/24 5:41 ]
  • »10.02.09 - 21:52