• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I just spotted this memtest figures over at amigaworld.net (LINK). From top to bottom it shows the figures of Mac Mini 1.5GHz, Mac Mini 1.42GHz and Pegasos2 G4 1.0GHz.

It would be interesting to see how the Sam would compare? Could a kind Sam owner please post some numbers?

How when in Amiga world were we talking about brute force of processors and about dhrystones and how many megaflops or gigaflops thy can compute?

I believed our beloved Amiga-Like OSs were enough lightweight operating systems to even allow a little processors such as 400 MHz from Efika to give us enough horsepower to perform anyday computing...

But if you are talking the fact that 1 GHz processor is better than any 400 MHz processor, or any 600 MHz processors I will agree...

However it is a pity that in Amiga world we started reasoning of pure computing performances just as like in intel world...

It is a sign of the times and sure the bad example of Intel world (numbers, numbers, numbers, more brute force or else the OS will be not capable of running) just corrupted our way of reasoning... :cry: :-/

When I see people in Amiga world saying things just as like:

"My brand new Efika III clocked at 850 MHZ it is better than your Pegasos X with G3 clocked at 600 MHz"

"My Samantha with Dualtivec at 950 MHz it is better than your Pegasos 2,5 G4 at 800 MHz with single Altivec"

(I just used fake computer names)

It is like a war between poor people when two bums loathing by saying:

"I have just one eye, one single arm but I got two legs and I can run better than you that are sticked with one single leg..."

Translated in Amigish language that means:

"I have no software, my OS is in beta, but I have a processor that runs twice as your!"

And the bums (both Amiga and Pegasos camps) fight without thinking that normal people (intel) have a body that will outperform any of their poor performances... :-P

Remember that we are stuck on PPC world and there are no processors clocked with more than 1,5 GHz...

At least we could mount dual core G4 at 1.42 GHz but nothing more...

So we can't compete with bigg boss Dual Cores or Quad Cores clocked at 2,6 GHz...

And Intel I7 it is just at a glance...

Maybe if MorphOS or AmigaOS will achieve FULL Simmetrical Multiprocessing and full 64bit, we could mount dual core G5 at 2,5 GHz and so we could start again talking of Videoediting and 3D Modeling/Rendering, and only THEN we could starting talking seriously of performances and compete again with big boss Intel computers...

Until then either Amiga, MacMinis, Pegasos, Efika and Samantha are nothing than just "Mayfair Hobby Computers" :-P

(Do you remember Myfair Lady Movie?)

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2008/12/19 8:50 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.12.08 - 07:11