Prism2 on MorphOS 2.1
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

> I'am not sure why we are concentrating on the original PCMCIA airport.

As explained in this thread ad nauseam: cards for PCMCIA can be based on Prism2 which we already have a driver for. This could provide WLAN on PowerBook G4 as long as we miss Broadcom chipset drivers. Besides, using the built-in original AirPort in PowerMac G4 (except FW800) would save one PCI slot.

At least one person understands why this is important to me and should be important to other MorphOS2.x users. Yes, there is already a MorphOS2.x driver for the Prism2 NIC's written by Neil Cafferkey. Neil has also just completed adding WPA support to the Prism2 drivers for Amiga68k and AmigaOS4.x, so there should be no problem to also add it to the MorphOS2.x Prism2 driver. having Airport support for the G4 PowerMac is not that important as there are other options, but by supporting the Airport slot in the G4 PowerMac, it is most likely that we could also get support for the PCMCIA slot in the G4 PowerBooks when MorphOS2.x is released for them. Since there is already support for the PCMCIA Prism2 wireless NIC cards, why not allow work to begin to use them in both the G4 PowerMac's (except the FW800 models) and also have it working upon the initial MorphOS2.x release of support for the G4 PowerBook's? There does not appear to be anyone working on supporting the Airport Extreme inside the G4 PowerBook's, or any other MorphOS2.x supported Mac model, so why not work on the easiest solution that will provide us with a wireless NIC for our Laptop MorphOS2.x systems (when we finally get them supported), as there is not much fun having a laptop MorphOS2.x system if you have to have it tied to a router with an Ethernet cable all the time to access the Internet.

As for the eMac I had, I am sure it had a PCMCIA slot inside, but since I no longer have the system, I can't prove it to anyone. I took it apart to replace the hard drive (a difficult task that required a lot of disassembly) and clearly saw, removed and re-installed the Airport card that was inside of it. It was identical to the Airport card that I currently have inside my non-FW800 G4 PowerMac, so it was not an Airport Extreme. I can't explain the difference between my system and the documentation on Apple's support site and the wiki you linked to.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.05.11 - 00:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As for the eMac I had, I am sure it had a PCMCIA slot inside [...]. I [...] clearly saw,
    > removed and re-installed the Airport card that was inside of it. It was identical to
    > the Airport card that I currently have inside my non-FW800 G4 PowerMac, so it
    > was not an Airport Extreme. I can't explain the difference between my system
    > and the documentation on Apple's support site and the wiki you linked to.

Seems this will remain a mystery then.
  • »28.05.11 - 02:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I was wondering if one those PCI to PCMCIA cards would work out of the box so you can put a PCMCIA card in a PEG2 and other MorphOScompatible machiens with PCIports.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »28.05.11 - 08:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was wondering if one those PCI to PCMCIA cards would work out of
    > the box so you can put a PCMCIA card in a PEG2 and other MorphOS
    > compatible machiens with PCIports.

I don't know if that would work but why not directly use a PCI card in such PCI slot?
  • »28.05.11 - 11:30
    Simon
    Because Neil has a Peg2 and you want him to make PCMCIAcard drivers ? Or am I missing something again ? Too much splintered info for me I guess.

That said, I still do not know if the PCIdriver for 68k can be used with my powermac so I can connect to my WPA homenetwork ?

[ Edited by Oepabakkes 28.05.2011 - 20:22 ]

• »28.05.11 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Because Neil has a Peg2 and you want him to make PCMCIAcard drivers ?

The main problem is not that a PCMCIA card driver is missing. Neil's driver already supports PCMCIA cards. What amigadave wants is to get the MorphOS Team to remove the blacklisting of the PCMCIA and original AirPort slots in MorphOS so that Neil's driver can be used with Prism2 cards in original AirPort slot of (non-FW800) PowerMac G4 and in PCMCIA slot of PowerBook G4.
  • »28.05.11 - 22:06
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    And it's a simple enough request.
    Why is the MOS team so dead set against it?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.05.11 - 22:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why is the MOS team so dead set against it?

Fab mentioned "weird issues":

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=6042&start=38

...and jacadcaps mentioned "funny problems":

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=6042&start=42

That's all I know. For better information you'd have to ask them.
  • »28.05.11 - 22:25
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    The MorphOS team aren't hindering development of an AirPort driver, since I'm not ready to work on it just yet. The first step is to get PCI cards working with WPA on MorphOS. Only when that's done does it make sense to consider supporting the AirPort slot.

The 68k driver only works with PCI cards in a Prometheus (barely) and Amithlon, so a PPC version is needed. BTW, I've discovered that the speed problems older versions of prism2.device have in the Pegasos II is specific to certain models of Prism II card. E.g. my 3Com card has this problem but my NetGear card works fine.
  • »28.05.11 - 23:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I don't think the Dev Team members are "dead set against it", but many of them may see it as a lower priority and don't want to create new problems in MorphOS2.x for something that they do not see as a high priority, or something that there is no driver ready for the port they would be "Un-Blacklisting" to get it to work.

When Neil is ready to do more work on the driver, maybe the Dev. Team can provide him with a special version of MorphOS2.x that has the PCMCIA slot initialized, so he can do his work and beta testing, and hopefully Neil and the Dev. Team can also find the solution to the strange problems that are experienced when the PCMCIA port is turned on, or initialized, so they can then move that support into the Publicly released next version of MorphOS2.x.

Those are my hopes anyway. That Neil will continue to work on a MorphOS2.x driver and that the Dev. Team will see enough value in using Prism2 compatible Airport cards inside G4 PowerMacs (non FW800 models), and other Prism2 compatible PCMCIA cards in G4 PowerBooks when they are supported.
  • »29.05.11 - 02:59
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    A driver for the Powerbook would be relatively essential. Who wants to connect their laptop to a Cat5 cable?
  • »29.05.11 - 03:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I'm even happy to pay few extra bob for that.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.05.11 - 10:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    ncafferkey,
    Quote:

The first step is to get PCI cards working with WPA on MorphOS

So since you have a Peg2, what else is needed to get things started ? MorphOS ?

• »30.05.11 - 21:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    Quote:

So since you have a Peg2, what else is needed to get things started ? MorphOS ?

I have started :-)
  • »31.05.11 - 01:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks. Tedious work and we wouldn't want to appear ungrateful.
  • »31.05.11 - 02:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks Neil,

Put me down for a purchase as soon as it is available to make the original Airport cards work in non-FW800 G4 PowerMac's, or two purchases when support for any Prism2 PCMCIA wireless NIC to work in the G4 PowerBook's after MorphOS2.x support is released for them. I also have a PCI>PCMCIA adapter that I could install in my G4 PowerMac, but all my PCI slots are full and I would have to remove something to use it. If MorphOS2.7 will recognize this adapter board, I should be able to use your existing MorphOS Prism2 driver now, is this correct? I just need to locate the adapter and remove a PCI card from my G4 PowerMac to make room to install it, and I could then test it with your latest driver. WEP encryption is okay for testing if the WPA driver is not finished for MorphOS2.x yet. Can the older WEP version of the MorphOS2.x driver still be downloaded from anywhere?
  • »31.05.11 - 03:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Guys you can rest assured that if the morphos dev team "blacklist" or remove "features" they have a damn good reason.. probably stability as andreas stated.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »31.05.11 - 08:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    Well, things are getting started with the PCI-version. My 15 euros are ready for it ;-)

[ Edited by Oepabakkes 31.05.2011 - 10:28 ]

• »31.05.11 - 09:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > probably stability as andreas stated.

I didn't state anything on this issue (how could I?) but merely quoted Fab and jacadcaps on it. It seems you're still having problems grasping that concept. So no, I don't know what the reason for the blacklisting is and never stated any assumption of my own regarding this.
  • »31.05.11 - 10:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I also have a PCI>PCMCIA adapter that I could install in my
    > G4 PowerMac [...] If MorphOS2.7 will recognize this adapter
    > board, I should be able to use your existing MorphOS Prism2
    > driver now, is this correct?

This could maybe answer your question:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33862&forum=14#620716
  • »02.07.11 - 22:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] when support for any Prism2 PCMCIA wireless NIC to work in the
    > G4 PowerBook's after MorphOS2.x support is released for them.

Pega-1 showing wireless networking via PCMCIA on a PowerBook G4 two days ago:

http://www.geit.de/images/hm02092011/images/img0037.jpg
  • »05.09.11 - 21:37
    analogkid
    @Andreas Wolf:

And it was demonstrated on a WPA encrypted network.
  • »05.09.11 - 21:43
    Simon
    Maybe it is already answered ... but is that Powerbook PCMCIA similar to the PCMCIA in Powermac ?

• »05.09.11 - 22:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is that Powerbook PCMCIA similar to the PCMCIA in Powermac ?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6042&forum=11&start=44
  • »05.09.11 - 23:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it was demonstrated on a WPA encrypted network.

Nice. I think amigadave will like that :-)
  • »05.09.11 - 23:13