Prism2 on MorphOS 2.1
  • Just looking around
    gaz_god
    Any ideas how to get this device to be recognised by 2.1's tcp stack.

I've copied the device to devs/network and created a prism20.config file in Env-Archive.

But with no results is there something I have missed? a config file? or is this not possible?

Thanks Gaz
    http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
  • »22.09.08 - 02:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    i don't think that it is supported it has it's own, nic built in. I had a thread on this awhile back as i thought the serial port could support dial up assuming you're using it on a efika...otherwise wait for more responses.
  • »22.09.08 - 05:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    All right. Let's start.

First you have to know that these PCI cards are supported by now:

1. 3COM -> 3CRDW696
    2. D-Link -> DWL-520 (Hardware revision B2 or earlier)
    3. Netgear -> MA311

After you have downloaded the prism2.device archive you need to copy the native version of prism2.device into Devs:Networks and SetPrism2Defaults in C:.

You will need nothing else from the archive.

Open a CLI and enter the following:

> Ed EnvArc:SYS/Interfaces

You have to change some settings there. By default you must see this:

Quote:

eth0 Device="Devs:Networks/via_rhinepci.device" Unit=0 DoOnLine UseDHCP IP=192.168.x.x MASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GATEWAY=192.168.x.x
    lo0 Type=loopback DoOnLine (if you have enable this on Network Prefs)

xxx.xxx = marks your own numbers etc.

So you have to insert the following line:

Quote:

eth0 Device="Devs:Networks/prism2.device" Unit=0 DoOnLine UseDHCP

Don't forget to remark (;) the old line.

Save the text file and config the SetPrism2Defaults to your needs. Reboot and you must be ready.

I hope that helps.
  • »22.09.08 - 06:27
  • Just looking around
    gaz_god
    No matter what changes i make to the Interfaces file the Morphos preferences network list doesnt change :(

I've tried replacing eth0 and eth1 and also adding eth2 all to no avail, any ideas?

BTW i'm altering the file in SYS:prefs/env-archive/sys and then rebooting.

Gaz
  • »22.09.08 - 20:49
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    It won't be listed since this driver doesn't have a "query header". But it doesn't mean it doesn't work.
  • »22.09.08 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    hello, I just got the D-Link 520+ (hope the + doesn't make any difference!) revision B2 off ebay. So far i've not got it working but I think that's because of the SetPrism2Defaults details (I've done the Interfaces part fine).

It's been a while since I properly used my Peg for "under-the-bonnet" stuff and it's throwing me off kilter! LOL

I read the docs for SetPrism2Defaults and it says to set the SSID {name} which works in CLI, and the KEY (numbers) or TEXTKEY (letters)....this one doesn't work as it says that TEXTKEY *has* to be 5 or 13 characters long whereas our wepkey is 8 long.

Also - do I have to just enter these details once via CLI, or do I have to put a ling in user-started such as "MOSSYS:C/SetPrism2Defaults SSID {network} TEXTKEY {wepkey}" ???

Cheers!
    Sam
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »27.09.10 - 18:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    ahhhh. Seems it does not support WPA, only WEP. DARN! I can't be changing from WPA to WEP....!
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »27.09.10 - 18:38
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    So does this mean you could use a suitable card in the PCMCIA slot on the Powerbook if/when MorphOS comes out for that?

Oh, no PCMCIA drivers?
  • »27.09.10 - 20:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:
    So does this mean you could use a suitable card in the PCMCIA slot on the Powerbook if/when MorphOS comes out for that?

Oh, no PCMCIA drivers?

Too bad the 68k A1200 PCMCIA Prism2 driver is of no use on the G4 PowerMac, or G4 PowerBook. It would be great to be able to use wireless networking via the Prism2 compatible PCMCIA cards on either of those G4 Mac's when MorphOS is ready for release on them (PowerBook next year, if not later this year, I hope). Better still would be support for the internal Airport cards, but I don't think anyone is even working on MorphOS support for those yet.

I am not sure the Prism2 compatible PCMCIA wireless network card I am using in my A1200 would fit into my G4 PowerMac due to the extra length of the card for the antennae. The Airport cards are shorter with a wire connection for an antennae.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.09.10 - 09:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > no PCMCIA drivers?

Apparently:

"There are no plans to add PCMCIA support at the moment. I'd think of that as unlikely to happen."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7332&forum=11&post_id=76065#76065
  • »28.09.10 - 11:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I wonder if there is some way of hacking the A1200/A600 68k support for PCMCIA slots to work on Apple PCMCIA slots when running MorphOS2.x?

I wouldn't know where to even start looking to make that work, but would guess that Amiga support for PCMCIA slots must be within the Kickstart ROMs for the A1200 & A600, unless it is handled by an extra on the motherboard chip on those models.

I just confirmed that the slot for the Airport card in my G4 PowerMac tower is the same as the slot in the A1200/A600 physically, but as someone stated, I doubt any Prism2 compatible wireless NIC cards would fit, due to their length, without some serious ugly hacking of the PowerMac case so you could close it with the longer PCMCIA card installed.

I would support a bounty to get either Prism2 compatible wireless NIC cards supported for use by MorphOS2.x in a G4 PowerBook, or better than that, for someone to write drivers to support Apple's Airport wireless NIC cards in all of the G4 & G5 models currently supported by MorphOS2.x and those shown in proof of concept screen shots that hopefully will be supported by MorphOS in the not too distant future.

I know the "Team" has stated that no one is even working on wireless support yet, so it must be a difficult task that none of them has decided to take up the challenge to complete. So, perhaps we should think about starting a bounty to find someone that has the time and skills to work on wireless support of one kind or another for MorphOS2.x and build up the donated amount enough to make it worth someone's time and effort to get it done?

How many members here would support such a bounty with money donations?

[ Edited by amigadave on 2011/3/20 12:53 ]

[ Edited by amigadave on 2011/3/20 12:56 ]
  • »20.03.11 - 20:48
  • Just looking around
    gaz_god
    The airport slot in the G4 is physically the same as a normal pcmcia slot unfortunately is not electronically the same (apple swapped a couple of pins to stop people buying far cheaper network cards and to make them airport cards). Though if my memory is correct if you get an airport card for it is just a re branded and rewired gold card so should be supported by the prism2 driver.

I could test it as I have a number of airport cards but I'm working away from home at the moment and wont be back to the cards or my G4 for a couple of weeks. Although I never did get the Netgear card working in my Peg :(

Gaz
  • »20.03.11 - 21:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

gaz_god wrote:
    The airport slot in the G4 is physically the same as a normal pcmcia slot unfortunately is not electronically the same (apple swapped a couple of pins to stop people buying far cheaper network cards and to make them airport cards). Though if my memory is correct if you get an airport card for it is just a re branded and rewired gold card so should be supported by the prism2 driver.

I could test it as I have a number of airport cards but I'm working away from home at the moment and wont be back to the cards or my G4 for a couple of weeks. Although I never did get the Netgear card working in my Peg :(

Gaz

Really?!? I think I remember reading something like that a long time ago, so that makes sense the way Apple is always trying to control what their customers buy and make an extra buck on everything.

I have an Airport card in my G4 PowerMac, so if it really is Prism2 compatible it would be easier to get it working if someone could just write the code to make MorphOS2.x recognize and support the G4 PowerMac's Airport slot. That is probably a whole lot less work than writing native wireless support Airport card drivers for MorphOS2.x to use and support for the slot in the G4 PowerMac (and later for the G4 PowerBooks) would still be required as part of getting any wireless NIC PCMCIA card working. Assuming that the Amiga 68k Prism2 driver works from MorphOS2.x.

I'll have to go back and re-read the thread about the guy running MorphOS1.x on his PPC A1200 and trying to get his Prism2 wireless NIC working to see if he had any success.
  • »20.03.11 - 21:21
  • Just looking around
    gaz_god
    Wikipedia and my memory agree on this one.

The original model, known as simply AirPort Card, was a re-branded Lucent WaveLAN/Orinoco Gold PC card, in a modified housing that lacked the integrated antenna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort#AirPort_802.11b_Card

So it should be theoretically possible to get the original airport working on a G4 and hopefully on the powerbook when it is supported.

The main problem is that this would only give us WEP wireless which is a problem if travelling as almost all the networks I come across are WPA and also a problem at home becasue of the ease that WEP networks can be cracked.
  • »20.03.11 - 22:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it should be theoretically possible to get the original airport working on a G4
    > and hopefully on the powerbook when it is supported.

The PowerBook G4 models MorphOS is supposed to support have AirPort Extreme, which is based on a Broadcom chipset and thus not likely to be Prism2 compatible.
  • »20.03.11 - 23:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Good point about the PowerBook Airport Extreme not being compatible, but if we can get the PCMCIA slot supported on the PowerBook, we might be able to use the same wireless NIC's that are used in the A1200 with the Prism2 driver.

At least there is hope that it is possible to some day get support for both the G4 PowerMacs using an original Airport card and the G4 PowerBooks, if we can use the PCMCIA slot.

Now all we need to do is find someone that is qualified to work on it and raise enough money to make it worth their time and effort.

Edit: Of course, that is only if the Dev. Team still has no interest or time to do it themselves.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2011/3/20 19:52 ]
  • »21.03.11 - 03:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > G4 PowerMacs using an original Airport card

Just want to add that the FW800 model has AirPort Extreme as well.
  • »21.03.11 - 04:08
    analogkid
    @amigadave:

I want to point out that there is always the possibility of using an external WLan-Ethernet Bridge, like the USB-powered ASUS WL-330gE, which also provides WPA/WPA2 encryption, it's more secure than the old Prism2 cards with WEP or no encrytion at all.
  • »21.03.11 - 09:16
    Develin
    A long time ago (when I used a MA311-card in my Peg2) I added some "query header" data (with the help of tokai) and that made the device to show up in the settings.
    I dunno if this work any longer, but incase you want to test it it's included in this archive : www.onyxsoft.se/stefan/beta/prism2.zip

The compiled device is under the source-drawer...
  • »21.03.11 - 09:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    @amigadave:

I want to point out that there is always the possibility of using an external WLan-Ethernet Bridge, like the USB-powered ASUS WL-330gE, which also provides WPA/WPA2 encryption, it's more secure than the old Prism2 cards with WEP or no encrytion at all.

Thanks, but I was already aware that some people are using an external WLan-Ethernet Bridge to accomplish an Internet connection where it is impractical to run only an Ethernet cable directly from the source device from your ISP and that such a connection is more secure than the WEP encryption we can get using any Prism2 device.

I don't do any work from my MorphOS systems yet that I am concerned about security, so WEP is fine with me for now on just my MorphOS systems. I do all my banking or online purchasing and any other online browsing that needs to be secure from a more secure system.

Having a working Prism2 Airport card, or other Prism2 compatible wireless NIC for use with MorphOS2.x is more about convenience and less devices & wires. Specially when the G4 PowerBook support is released, hopefully later this year.
  • »21.03.11 - 15:48
    boot_wb
    Sigh, as much as I hate to cite Wikipedia, here goes:

Quote:

AirPort 802.11b Card

The original model, known as simply AirPort Card, was a re-branded Lucent WaveLAN/Orinoco Gold PC card, in a modified housing that lacked the integrated antenna. It was designed to be capable of being user-installable. It was also modified in such a way that it could not be used in a regular PCMCIA slot (At the time it was significantly cheaper than the official WaveLAN/Orinoco Gold card). An AirPort card adapter is required to use this card in the slot loading iMacs.

AirPort Extreme 802.11g cards

Corresponding with the release of the AirPort Extreme Base Station, the AirPort Extreme Card became available as an option on the current models. It is based on a Broadcom 802.11g chipset and is housed in a custom enclosure that is mechanically proprietary, but is electrically compatible with the Mini PCI standard. It was also capable of being user-installed.

Variants of the user installable AirPort Extreme Card are marked A-1010 (early North American spec), A-1026 (current North American spec), A-1027 (Europe/Asia spec (additional channels)) and A-1095 (unknown).

A different 802.11g card was included in the last iteration of the PowerPC-based PowerBooks and iBooks. A major distinction for this card was that it was the first "combo" card that included both 802.11g as well as Bluetooth. It was also the first card that was not user-installable. It was again a custom form factor, but was still electrically a Mini PCI interface for the Broadcom WLAN chip. A separate USB connection was used for the on-board Bluetooth chip.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11g) card was discontinued in January 2009.

So, no PCMCIA cards are electronically compatible with the Airport slot, and no mini-pci cards are mechanically compatible with the Airport Extreme slot. Except Apple's own, of course.

Sorry dude!
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »22.03.11 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > no PCMCIA cards are electronically compatible with the Airport slot

I think that has been established before in this thread:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6042&forum=11&post_id=82520#82520

> no mini-pci cards are mechanically compatible with the
    > Airport Extreme slot. Except Apple's own, of course.

Nobody here suggested using Mini-PCI cards other than Apple's in an AirPort Extreme slot.
  • »22.03.11 - 22:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @boot_wb,

I would hope that the card slot on the side of my G4 PowerBook is backward compatible with other PCMCIA card slots, such as the one's found on the A1200/A600?

I understand now that Apple made the internal Airport slots non-compatible with any other manufacturer's products.
  • »22.03.11 - 23:58
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    I'm the author of prism2.device, and I'd be willing to consider a bounty to produce a WPA1 (TKIP) capable driver for the original Apple AirPort card.

Non-Apple wireless cards can work in the AirPort slot, but most are too big to fit properly in the case. There are however some compact IBM and Sony branded cards that can be used in the AirPort slot, even with MacOS. It's true that AirPort cards can't be used in normal PCMCIA slots though.
  • »28.03.11 - 17:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    stefkos
    Will be nice to see that driver for MorphOS.
  • »28.03.11 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website