• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

> I'am not sure why we are concentrating on the original PCMCIA airport.

As explained in this thread ad nauseam: cards for PCMCIA can be based on Prism2 which we already have a driver for. This could provide WLAN on PowerBook G4 as long as we miss Broadcom chipset drivers. Besides, using the built-in original AirPort in PowerMac G4 (except FW800) would save one PCI slot.

At least one person understands why this is important to me and should be important to other MorphOS2.x users. Yes, there is already a MorphOS2.x driver for the Prism2 NIC's written by Neil Cafferkey. Neil has also just completed adding WPA support to the Prism2 drivers for Amiga68k and AmigaOS4.x, so there should be no problem to also add it to the MorphOS2.x Prism2 driver. having Airport support for the G4 PowerMac is not that important as there are other options, but by supporting the Airport slot in the G4 PowerMac, it is most likely that we could also get support for the PCMCIA slot in the G4 PowerBooks when MorphOS2.x is released for them. Since there is already support for the PCMCIA Prism2 wireless NIC cards, why not allow work to begin to use them in both the G4 PowerMac's (except the FW800 models) and also have it working upon the initial MorphOS2.x release of support for the G4 PowerBook's? There does not appear to be anyone working on supporting the Airport Extreme inside the G4 PowerBook's, or any other MorphOS2.x supported Mac model, so why not work on the easiest solution that will provide us with a wireless NIC for our Laptop MorphOS2.x systems (when we finally get them supported), as there is not much fun having a laptop MorphOS2.x system if you have to have it tied to a router with an Ethernet cable all the time to access the Internet.

As for the eMac I had, I am sure it had a PCMCIA slot inside, but since I no longer have the system, I can't prove it to anyone. I took it apart to replace the hard drive (a difficult task that required a lot of disassembly) and clearly saw, removed and re-installed the Airport card that was inside of it. It was identical to the Airport card that I currently have inside my non-FW800 G4 PowerMac, so it was not an Airport Extreme. I can't explain the difference between my system and the documentation on Apple's support site and the wiki you linked to.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.05.11 - 00:05