Max RAM for Pegasos II ?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > IIRC VMEM and IO space is in upper 2GB.

So what's the reason MorphOS can't use the full 2 GiB as RAM? What's this missing 0.5 GiB used for then?
  • »19.06.11 - 11:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Its funny all your thoughts are based on others posts or second hand information.

I don't find it funny that I base my thoughts about Genesi products on public statements by official Genesi representatives. When it comes to technical details I'd however prefer statements from bplan representatives but you know as well as I do that they are not exactly notable for making public statements at all. Nevertheless I don't class statements from BBRV or Neko on Genesi products as "second hand information" more than I class your statements as such.
    What I find funny though is that you once more missed to answer a genuine question I directed at you.

> are you aware I was the project manager of the first ODWs? Do you know
    > I worked for genesi?

Yes, being an amiga-news.de reader I'm well aware that you were once appointed Genesi USA's Director of Sales:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2003-10-00037-EN.html
    http://www.morphos-news.de/index.php?lg=en&nid=487&si=1

> If it wasnt for Sven Luther some other Euro linux guys and myself there would
    > NEVER have been an ODW project FYI. (oh and not to forget Ron Van Herk and
    > Andre Siegel ) (and naturally bplan and morphos team)

Fine, but how does that negate anything I quoted or referred to from BBRV or Neko?

> Neko took over the ODW project after SNDF and the best part is the moron did
    > not remove keyfiles and instalalled registered software - and then shipped ODWs
    > out to the developer program - this lead to the whole Burn it debacle (as there was
    > a full beta version on odw that was used to show corporate clients/partners) which
    > somehow I got blamed for

*Now* it gets interesting even for me :-) I've always wondered why BurnIt 3 didn't get released back then when it seemed almost there in 2004.

> you really should consider your sources

I did and came to the conclusion that you're no better source than BBRV or Neko when it comes to technical details of Genesi products.

> and stop arguing with me over everything.

I don't argue over "everything" with you, just when I think you're wrong or when official sources contradict your statements.
  • »19.06.11 - 13:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I dont know internals but I recall it was something about Quark using that space for something else. Well, could be I am wrong because I dont follow internals very closely.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »20.06.11 - 06:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Andreas

Can you possibly be any more annoying? Oh and contrary. I mean what is the deal with you anyway? Maybe more fresh air is in order?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.06.11 - 07:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Can you possibly be any more annoying? Oh and contrary. I mean
    > what is the deal with you anyway? Maybe more fresh air is in order?

I'd really like to answer these questions but I'm afraid they severely lack any substance. To be blunt they seem like coming from ELIZA. Are you a bot?

Edit: added links

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 08.11.2011 - 13:30 ]
  • »20.06.11 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    andreas

Well i know now that U are NOT a bot, bots have more feelings.
  • »20.06.11 - 11:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i know now that U are NOT a bot

I'm glad it finally sunk in.

> bots have more feelings.

You mean like feeling glad? :-P
  • »20.06.11 - 13:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb
    >> memory module. Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some
    >> freezes randomly or not ?

> I'm not aware that a single 2 GiB module (or even 4 GiB module) was ever
    > tried so far. There may or may not be problems with the SmartFirmware in
    > general (or particular revisions thereof) or particular board revisions to properly
    > recognize such module. On pegasosforum.de there's a (German) thread on this
    > topic, so far without report of any findings unfortunately:
    >
    > http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=4546
    > (Google translation)

The opener of that thread reports he's now tried a 2 GiB module in his Peg2 to no avail. He says he's going to contact and ask bplan about it.
  • »20.10.11 - 16:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    I did have a look for 2gb DDR1 memory, the only type I could find was the EEC server type stuff that probably wouldn't work.

I'll assume it's a waste of time to be honest.

Anyone actually running out of a ram with 1GB on MorphOS?
  • »20.10.11 - 18:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Never.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.10.11 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did have a look for 2gb DDR1 memory, the only type I could find
    > was the EEC server type stuff

Yes, DDR1 RAM modules in sizes exceeding 1 GiB (i.e. 2 GiB and 4 GiB) only exist with ECC (and registered).

> that probably wouldn't work.

Then go have a look into that thread and be surprised:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1806&forum=11

> Anyone actually running out of a ram with 1GB on MorphOS?

Occasionally happening here with OWB running.
  • »20.10.11 - 18:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb memory
    > module.Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some freezes randomly or not ?

Magnetic says it won't work:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8179&forum=11&start=9
  • »08.12.11 - 10:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Warning ! Warning! Warning!

The Post Bot is on the Loose!!

:(o): :(o): :(o):

Achtung! Achtung! Achtung!
  • »08.12.11 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The Post Bot is on the Loose!!

Don't be so harsh to yourself. I just thought I'd share your wisdom with others.
  • »08.12.11 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    You know what Andreas you pose as some authority on anything Morphos or Pegasos but i'm afraid to tell you there are many things you dont know and will never know. (or never believe but thats your choice) So just stop post stalking me and get a life. :-x
  • »08.12.11 - 22:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you pose as some authority on anything Morphos or Pegasos

No, I don't. For every technical information I convey I can cite real authorities, which makes my humble self posing as a non-authority by definition.

> there are many things you dont know and will never know.

Truism.

> just stop post stalking me

No need to as I haven't even started. I just wanted to help Brumiga answer his question.
  • »08.12.11 - 23:15
    stephen_robinson
    I've bought* a couple of 2gb sticks of ECC/reg DDR memory when they turn up I'll see if they work in my peg2.

*cheap enough for it not to matter if they don't work
  • »14.04.12 - 17:42
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

I've bought* a couple of 2gb sticks of ECC/reg DDR memory when they turn up I'll see if they work in my peg2.

*cheap enough for it not to matter if they don't work

I'm interested if you can get 2 GB RAM functioning there, so please do get back with the results. If you manage to get 4 GB going, you'll be making some kind of history. Look out X1000? Well, I checked and that thing has 2 GB standard and four slots for memory. Does that mean it can make it to 8 GB? I didn't read that.

"The X1000 ends the years of AmigaOS being relegated to a ghetto of outdated hardware..." (A-EON marketing copy.) Oh-kaaaaaay?

I recently upgraded my Peg 2 from 256 megs to 512 megs RAM. I realized I had some sticks laying around that might work in it. In my experience the Peg 2 is a bit finicky about the memory sticks it'll accept, but if you try this and that, who knows what you'll get?
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »15.04.12 - 14:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Look out X1000? Well, I checked and that thing has 2 GB standard
    > and four slots for memory. Does that mean it can make it to 8 GB?

AFAIK, the PA6T's memory controller can support up to 32 GiB RAM. So yes, 4x2 GiB should be possible, as should be 4x8 GiB, and everything in between. This is from the hardware's point of view. I don't know about memory restrictions that might be there due to the X1000's CFE firmware.
    Btw, I think that the 2 GiB in the standard X1000 config are 2x1 GiB, not 1x2 GiB, because that works faster with the memory controller configuration of the PA6T.
  • »15.04.12 - 14:55
    Kronos
    4GB ?? To what point ?

Any AmigaOS (be it 3,4 or Morph) stops at 2GB (actually even less).

Well o.k. for Linux-use, but there can better be found for that while dumpster-diving.....
  • »15.04.12 - 15:05
    stephen_robinson
    On my Pegasos II one of the memory sockets is faulty, so even if it does work, it'll be 2gb max.

Which is why I'm trying it, 2gb/1.5gb is nicer than 1gb for Am*gaOS4.1/MorphOS. Not really interested in 2/4gb for Linux

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 15.04.2012 - 14:24 ]
  • »15.04.12 - 16:02
    stephen_robinson
    [off subject alert]

The X1000 supports 8gb* of DDR2 ram. AmigaOS4.1, at the moment, only sees 2gb of it as with any MB. Linux sees all of it.

* with 4 sticks of 2gb memory, I don't know about 4/8gb sticks of memory.

[/off subject alert]

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 15.04.2012 - 13:10 ]
  • »15.04.12 - 16:05
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    For what its worth, I've been running 2 x 1GB RAM sticks in one of my Peg IIs for several years now. OK MorphOS only sees 1.5Gb but AFAIAA I've had no real problems with stability or performance.

TrevorD
  • »16.04.12 - 03:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    FYI, I was going to upgrade my X1000 to 4gb at the time of my initial order, but my upgrade request, which I sent in a couple of days after my initial order did not get processed properly, so my X1000 was assembled with the standard two 1gb RAM dimm's in it. When I inquired about the missing extra 2gb of RAM that I had requested, before my X1000 was shipped out from AmigaKit's warehouse, they offered to add the extra 2gb of RAM and put it into my AmigaOne keyboard box, since my X1000 box had already been sealed and shrinkwrapped. That was okay by me, as installing a RAM dimm or two is a snap to do. When my X1000 arrived, I noticed that there was only one RAM dimm inside my keyboard box, so I contacted AmigaKit to verify that it was a 2gb dimm to give me a total of 4gb that I had upgraded to (for running Linux with). After reading about the Nemo2 motherboard running the RAM faster in Interleaved mode when matched pairs of dimms were installed in the RAM sockets, I decided to order another 2gb dimm to give me a total of 6gb RAM when running Debian Squeeze Linux PPC.

I am now glad that the mix up occurred, because I have two 1gb dimms in the first two dimm sockets recognized by the Nemo2 motherboard, so when running OS4.1.5, I still get the faster speed of the Interleaved memory. When running Debian Squeeze Linux PPC I will still get the faster Interleaved memory performance, because I have another pair of matched memory dimms in the other two dimm sockets. So, this supposed mistake of not getting the 4gb of RAM in the beginning when I first ordered my X1000 has actually worked to my advantage, with the two 1gb dimms being used while running OS4.1.5 in Interleaved mode and all four dimms being used with a total of 6gb of RAM while running Debian Squeeze Linux PPC, also in Interleaved mode.

I think that this might be the best setup for dual booting X1000's (if you want to have the added speed of Interleaved memory for both OSes)

Personally, I don't know how much difference the Interleaved memory makes, but I might ask a fellow X1000 owner to run some benchmark tests against my X1000, as he has two 2gb dimms for his total of 4gb RAM, instead of my setup with two 1gb dimms and two 2gb dimms for a total of 6gb RAM. There should be no difference when we are both running Debian Squeeze Linux PPC, but there might be some kind of difference when running OS4.1.5.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.04.12 - 05:39
    connor
    In case you could definitely name a working and buyable 2GB constellation for Peg 2 I would be very much interested.
  • »17.04.12 - 18:11