Max RAM for Pegasos II ?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there were many OF releases that never saw the light of day after 1.2 OF.

No objection to that. I just said that according to what BBRV had stated at least the last official Peg2 OF should be able to properly recognize 2 GiB RAM.

> Bplan [...] updated OF for [...] the first rollout of "odw" .

Why didn't this update come with this "first rollout" then? Didn't they manage to complete it in time for the first ODWs?

> You never heard of that right?

I heard at one point that official 1.3 was Efika only and the official revision for Peg2 following 1.2 should have been 1.4.

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5553#5553

> stick to what YOU know not what you THINK you know.

I do know what BBRV wrote in that public statement and I stick to it. That is unless some drunk Genesi employee used their account to make that statement ;-)

> Thank you

You're welcome.
  • »17.06.11 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Kingston wasnt the only Ram Genesi used. There were several iterations of "odw" the
    > first version that went to motorolla and other clients/partners had Samsung PC2700

Kingston RAM is what Genesi said they used for their 2 GiB RAM ODWs, which is what we're talking about. At least between October 2004 and August 2006 Freescale only resold ODWs with 256 MiB of RAM which may have been Samsung or whatever type of RAM. This may as well be true for the 512 MiB RAM ODWs Genesi sold through TSS since July 2005 or by themselves but as said those configurations are not what the Kingston comment was about.
  • »17.06.11 - 14:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I really don't know, but maybe there were some small physical changes in the different board revisions (otherwise - why different revisions at all?) that made newer firmware versions ever so slightly incompatible with older board revisions? The firmware works very tightly with the underlying HW and maybe the reason to why there weren't a publicly released general firmware update that would work on *all* boards simply because it wasn't worthwhile to spend the time and resources to do this? Just thinking out loud...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.06.11 - 17:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > maybe there were some small physical changes in the different board revisions
    > (otherwise - why different revisions at all?) that made newer firmware
    > versions ever so slightly incompatible with older board revisions?

Yes, as confirmed by Neko:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=4453&start=32
  • »17.06.11 - 18:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello,

My pegasos 2 is 7 years old, from february 2004 precisely. His firmware was first 1.0 from 20031229, I updated it to 1.1 from 20040405 when I received the computer and I obtained by someone the firmware 1.2 from 20041008. I am not sure about the revision, 2b3 or 2b4. Is there a link where are indicated the revisions of all the boards manufactured by bplan/genesi ? I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb memory module.Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some freezes randomly or not ?

I have read, maybe here again, also that genesi recommended to use crucial memory modules. Is it true or not ? On their web site crucial knows genesi pegasos 1 and 2 computers and they can propose memory modules for both.

Brumiga

[ Edited by Brumiga 18.06.2011 - 09:47 ]
  • »18.06.11 - 08:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there a link where are indicated the revisions of all the boards
    > manufactured by bplan/genesi ?

There are five revisions of the Pegasos II board, 2B1 through 2B5. You can find it printed on the board itself.

> I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb memory module.
    > Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some freezes randomly or not ?

I'm not aware that a single 2 GiB module (or even 4 GiB module) was ever tried so far. There may or may not be problems with the SmartFirmware in general (or particular revisions thereof) or particular board revisions to properly recognize such module. On pegasosforum.de there's a (German) thread on this topic, so far without report of any findings unfortunately:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=4546 (Google translation)

> I have read, maybe here again, also that genesi recommended to use
    > crucial memory modules. Is it true or not ?

It is true:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3691&forum=11&start=4
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3739&forum=2&start=24
    http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1074#1074
    http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12164#12164

However, as you can see in this thread, for a configuration of two 1 GiB modules Genesi also recommends a certain type of Kingston RAM.

> On their web site crucial knows genesi pegasos 1 and 2 computers and
    > they can propose memory modules for both.

As far as I can see, the maximum they offer as "Guaranteed-compatible upgrades for your Genesi Pegasos II" is 1 GiB modules, so no 2 GiB modules like you asked about.
  • »18.06.11 - 10:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    andreas

Its funny all your thoughts are based on others posts or second hand information.

are you aware I was the project manager of the first ODWs? Do you know I worked for genesi? If it wasnt for Sven Luther some other Euro linux guys and myself there would NEVER have been an ODW project FYI. (oh and not to forget Ron Van Herk and Andre Siegel ) (and naturally bplan and morphos team) I quit in 05 and dont know what they did after that with ODW or anything else for that matter. (As a matter of fact Neko took over the ODW project after SNDF and the best part is the moron did not remove keyfiles and instalalled registered software - and then shipped ODWs out to the developer program - this lead to the whole Burn it debacle (as there was a full beta version on odw that was used to show corporate clients/partners) which somehow I got blamed for)

However, you really should consider your sources and stop arguing with me over everything.

[ Edited by magnetic 19.06.2011 - 00:54 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »19.06.11 - 05:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Kronos,
    Quote:

In the 2GB addressspace you now have to cram everything, RAM, GFX-RAM, PCI-cards and onboard-components. Thats where we loose that last 0.5GB

I take it there's no plans to fix change this in the future? Or is it just too imbeded in the basic design? Or something?
  • »19.06.11 - 09:49
    boot_wb
    @Magnetic

Quote:

did not remove keyfiles and instalalled registered software [...] this lead to the whole Burn it debacle

Hunh? I must have been asleep during that piece of our colourful history.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »19.06.11 - 10:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    IIRC VMEM and IO space is in upper 2GB. I think even on AmigaOS CyberGraphX VMEM was always mapped to upper memory space.

[ Edited by itix 19.06.2011 - 12:40 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.06.11 - 10:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > IIRC VMEM and IO space is in upper 2GB.

So what's the reason MorphOS can't use the full 2 GiB as RAM? What's this missing 0.5 GiB used for then?
  • »19.06.11 - 11:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Its funny all your thoughts are based on others posts or second hand information.

I don't find it funny that I base my thoughts about Genesi products on public statements by official Genesi representatives. When it comes to technical details I'd however prefer statements from bplan representatives but you know as well as I do that they are not exactly notable for making public statements at all. Nevertheless I don't class statements from BBRV or Neko on Genesi products as "second hand information" more than I class your statements as such.
    What I find funny though is that you once more missed to answer a genuine question I directed at you.

> are you aware I was the project manager of the first ODWs? Do you know
    > I worked for genesi?

Yes, being an amiga-news.de reader I'm well aware that you were once appointed Genesi USA's Director of Sales:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2003-10-00037-EN.html
    http://www.morphos-news.de/index.php?lg=en&nid=487&si=1

> If it wasnt for Sven Luther some other Euro linux guys and myself there would
    > NEVER have been an ODW project FYI. (oh and not to forget Ron Van Herk and
    > Andre Siegel ) (and naturally bplan and morphos team)

Fine, but how does that negate anything I quoted or referred to from BBRV or Neko?

> Neko took over the ODW project after SNDF and the best part is the moron did
    > not remove keyfiles and instalalled registered software - and then shipped ODWs
    > out to the developer program - this lead to the whole Burn it debacle (as there was
    > a full beta version on odw that was used to show corporate clients/partners) which
    > somehow I got blamed for

*Now* it gets interesting even for me :-) I've always wondered why BurnIt 3 didn't get released back then when it seemed almost there in 2004.

> you really should consider your sources

I did and came to the conclusion that you're no better source than BBRV or Neko when it comes to technical details of Genesi products.

> and stop arguing with me over everything.

I don't argue over "everything" with you, just when I think you're wrong or when official sources contradict your statements.
  • »19.06.11 - 13:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I dont know internals but I recall it was something about Quark using that space for something else. Well, could be I am wrong because I dont follow internals very closely.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »20.06.11 - 06:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Andreas

Can you possibly be any more annoying? Oh and contrary. I mean what is the deal with you anyway? Maybe more fresh air is in order?
  • »20.06.11 - 07:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Can you possibly be any more annoying? Oh and contrary. I mean
    > what is the deal with you anyway? Maybe more fresh air is in order?

I'd really like to answer these questions but I'm afraid they severely lack any substance. To be blunt they seem like coming from ELIZA. Are you a bot?

Edit: added links

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 08.11.2011 - 13:30 ]
  • »20.06.11 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    andreas

Well i know now that U are NOT a bot, bots have more feelings.
  • »20.06.11 - 11:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i know now that U are NOT a bot

I'm glad it finally sunk in.

> bots have more feelings.

You mean like feeling glad? :-P
  • »20.06.11 - 13:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb
    >> memory module. Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some
    >> freezes randomly or not ?

> I'm not aware that a single 2 GiB module (or even 4 GiB module) was ever
    > tried so far. There may or may not be problems with the SmartFirmware in
    > general (or particular revisions thereof) or particular board revisions to properly
    > recognize such module. On pegasosforum.de there's a (German) thread on this
    > topic, so far without report of any findings unfortunately:
    >
    > http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=4546
    > (Google translation)

The opener of that thread reports he's now tried a 2 GiB module in his Peg2 to no avail. He says he's going to contact and ask bplan about it.
  • »20.10.11 - 16:24
    stephen_robinson
    I did have a look for 2gb DDR1 memory, the only type I could find was the EEC server type stuff that probably wouldn't work.

I'll assume it's a waste of time to be honest.

Anyone actually running out of a ram with 1GB on MorphOS?
  • »20.10.11 - 18:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Never.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.10.11 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I did have a look for 2gb DDR1 memory, the only type I could find
    > was the EEC server type stuff

Yes, DDR1 RAM modules in sizes exceeding 1 GiB (i.e. 2 GiB and 4 GiB) only exist with ECC (and registered).

> that probably wouldn't work.

Then go have a look into that thread and be surprised:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1806&forum=11

> Anyone actually running out of a ram with 1GB on MorphOS?

Occasionally happening here with OWB running.
  • »20.10.11 - 18:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I also read somewhere, maybe here, that I could put a single 2 mb memory
    > module.Is it possible or not ? Would/could I have some freezes randomly or not ?

Magnetic says it won't work:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8179&forum=11&start=9
  • »08.12.11 - 10:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Warning ! Warning! Warning!

The Post Bot is on the Loose!!

:(o): :(o): :(o):

Achtung! Achtung! Achtung!
  • »08.12.11 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The Post Bot is on the Loose!!

Don't be so harsh to yourself. I just thought I'd share your wisdom with others.
  • »08.12.11 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    You know what Andreas you pose as some authority on anything Morphos or Pegasos but i'm afraid to tell you there are many things you dont know and will never know. (or never believe but thats your choice) So just stop post stalking me and get a life. :-x
  • »08.12.11 - 22:29
    Profile Visit Website