• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    SoundSquare,
    Quote:

By the time i had a Peg2 i was also running with 2gb of ram (2x1, same modules), and everything was working right until i ran Gentoo and made a lot of compilation, then i had errors. With 1gb sources compilation process was ok but it was always crashing with 2, even with the right options for >1gb ram in the kernel. A Debian linux PPC dev confirmed the issue to me at that time.

That is exactly the reason why 2GB are not working. It may look like it is working, but in the background you get broken bits, write false data to hard drive and when you experience any problems months later anything is the problem, but not the memory. Of course the memtest works fine, as it only reports broken memory and not time to time errors happening while reading using DMA transfers.

Yes, there is a rare bunch of peg2 which is told to work with 2 GB. When I would get such a system, I would simply remove the second bar, just to be sure and for the savty of my data. 1GB is far enough for MorphOS.

I have no idea if someone tested those 2GB bars recently became available. If these bars work and you only use one slot, then I would consider it to be save. Two bars of any type at the same time is a random set dataloss timebomb.

Geit
  • »18.04.12 - 12:29