Pegasos 1 non-April
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    I might be getting a Pegasos 1 non-april for xmas (woo!) and I was wondering what does the mai bridge or whatever you call it bug stop you from doing?
    What video cards are compatible?
    I have a Nvidia 440MX and Nvidia 6600GT and i was wondering if they would work.
    Oh by the way I'm 13 so go easy on me :D
  • »09.12.07 - 00:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

I might be getting a Pegasos 1 non-april for xmas (woo!) and I was wondering what does the mai bridge or whatever you call it bug stop you from doing?

It has a DMA bug which causes data corruption. It is most likely to happen only when writing or reading large files. Chances that you can read or write 10MB+ files without data corruption is very low.

Nevertheless it is usable system if you are very careful with your data. I used pre-April Peg1 for the software development until I got Peg2.

Quote:

I have a Nvidia 440MX and Nvidia 6600GT and i was wondering if they would work.

They are not supported. You can probably get some picture out of them but graphics is going to be very slow.

Only Voodoo 3/4/5 and Radeon 7000-9250 cards are supported.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »09.12.07 - 00:43
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Is there a work around this DMA bug?
    How expensive are the supported GFX cards?
  • »09.12.07 - 00:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Thank god from carboot sales, i just looked at a pic of a voodoo 3000
    and i remmemberd i left 1 in ma bros room the other day (i have never used it)
    And its the same as the on here: http://www.techexcess.net/3dfx-210-0364-003-voodoo3-3000-16mb-vga-agp2x-video-card-by-stb-systems.aspx

apart from mine has s-video aswell!
  • »09.12.07 - 00:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Nope.

Quote:

Five years ago when I bought brand new Radeon 7000VE it was 30 euro.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »09.12.07 - 04:26
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

gwion wrote:
    Thank god from carboot sales, i just looked at a pic of a voodoo 3000
    and i remmemberd i left 1 in ma bros room the other day (i have never used it)
    And its the same as the on here: http://www.techexcess.net/3dfx-210-0364-003-voodoo3-3000-16mb-vga-agp2x-video-card-by-stb-systems.aspx

apart from mine has s-video aswell!

I have the same exact model shown in the picture in my peg1! :-)
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »09.12.07 - 06:28
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Woo! I have everything i need for when my I get a Pegasos 1 :D
    Ill update you on how it goes, I'll probably need help installing MorphOS coz
    allot of ppl say its tricky :P
  • »09.12.07 - 10:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    nope. install morphos to hd is very easy - building a good and usable system is the tricky part:)

search for these: morphguide and "the pegasos book". they are excellent source of information about pegasos/morphos.
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »09.12.07 - 10:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Oh ok thanx, i have downloaded the pegasos book (its really good)
    im just getting the morphguide now :D
    You know if i get allot of problems with my Pegasos coz of the DMA bug,
    Could i send it to bplan for it to get the april fix?
  • »09.12.07 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @gwlon,

The fix for your pegasos1 non-april motherboard is/should be an exchange of articia s chip for the latest one with april 2 fix. Only BPlan is able to do this fix but will/would them want to do it...

nevertheless ask them for this fix. If their response is negative wether you want to try with this pegasos1 non april wether you try to find an april 2 fixed model.

Brumiga
  • »09.12.07 - 15:38
    Kronos
    I don't think there is a single "fixed" Peg1 in the world ....

Old pre-April boards have just been replaced with new ones allready having the April-fix.

Those old boards were then sold at an large discount.....

Doubt that bPlan will be able to help you in any way.
  • »09.12.07 - 16:09
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Well its not a "main" x-mas pressent my sis (she's 30) is buying it 4 me :D
    (thats y being young is so cool)
    Well i'll tell you how i get on with it.
  • »09.12.07 - 16:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • scf
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    scf
    You could avoid data corruption when using old model HDD, which doesn't use high DMA modes. I have a preapril peg1 atm and using it with 3.2Gb Fujitsu HDD - it's slow but no corruption.
  • »09.12.07 - 20:33
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    How do i know if a HD has DMA or not?
  • »09.12.07 - 20:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Hello gwion, and welcome to the crew! May I ask... How did you got to know about this extremely small MorphOS platform? Being you so young, you couldn't have an Amiga background, could you.
    I bet you are by far the youngest member here. I wonder how old is the oldest bloke around...
  • »10.12.07 - 07:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @gwion

Quote:

Yes, that's the "April"! :-)

Quote:

They should be very cheap today (if you can get ahold of any).

Quote:

Woo! I have everything i need for when my I get a Pegasos 1 :D
    Ill update you on how it goes, I'll probably need help installing MorphOS coz
    allot of ppl say its tricky :P

Go here: http://morphos-news.de/beta2help/

Quote:

You know if i get allot of problems with my Pegasos coz of the DMA bug,
    Could i send it to bplan for it to get the april fix?

Very unlikely. Unfixed Peg1's are as "abandonware" as can be.

Have you considered a second hand Pegasos2 BTW?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »10.12.07 - 09:18
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    Well i got in2 computers when i was like 8 coz i acsidently messed up ma bro's windows 95 machine
    since then i wanted to fix it so i found out how to mix it and as i was doing that i looked in2 *old* computers and i have now since got a massive collection.
    I have a Amiga A500,A500+,A1200 and a A400 soon to arrive.
    But as they are expensive to upgrade i desided to get a Pegasos board coz its like a amiga fully upgraded.

I have considerd a PEgasos II but they are like ?300 so ?60 compared to ?300 is allot.
    So thats why im getting a peggy 1 , if i like that allot then it'll be a pegasos ii
    :D unless any1 here has a peggy II for ?60 inc P&P :D
  • »10.12.07 - 11:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Welcome on board qwion... :)

To eveyrone that may read this:

Well I am not 13 but 28 but I am sitll new at the Peg world! I have never heard about this April bug. Can anyone explain me what exactly it is and how can I check out if my Peg1 has it or not?

If I understood well from what I have read there must be a varriaty of Peg1 machines that have not got that bug (due to their replaced motherboards?? or due to their massive produciton after the big fix????)

And why this is called the April bug?
  • »13.12.07 - 02:59
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Oh ok thanx, i have downloaded the pegasos book (its really good)
    im just getting the morphguide now :D

Are those official publications or web-based resources? Where can I find them in both cases?
  • »13.12.07 - 03:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

I have never heard about this April bug.

The April was a bugfix, not a bug. The bugs are inside the Articia S controller, and the April was a hardware patch from b-plan (the designers of the Pegasos) that sat in between the motherboard and the Articia chip itself. It was made in an attempt to save the Pegasos design, to make it useful and sellable, so that the effort wouldn't have been completely in vain.

However, it added cost and it could never make the Pegasos reach its ambitions in a reliable way, and on top of that there was a problem with supply of Articia chips from the maker, MAI.

So b-plan scrapped the original Pegasos design and did a new design based on a much better controller, the Marvell Discovery II. This new design was called the Pegasos 2 (turning the original Pegasos design into "Pegasos 1"), and finally it was possible to use high end G4 CPU's and overall performance reached new hights.

In the meantime MAI died, so this decision turned out to be good in more than one way...

Quote:

Can anyone explain me what exactly it is and how can I check out if my Peg1 has it or not?

You can look at the motherboard. If the Articia chip is surface mounted directly on the motherboard, then it's an unfixed Pegasos 1. If there is an extra circuit board with two chips sticking out in between the motherboard and the Articia chip, then it has an April fix. A fixed board looks like this:

mp-april1.jpg

Quote:

If I understood well from what I have read there must be a varriaty of Peg1 machines that have not got that bug (due to their replaced motherboards?? or due to their massive produciton after the big fix????)

The number of Pegasos 1 boards that doesn't have either the April 1 or the April 2 fix can't be that many. B-plan was aware of the Articia bugs before they released the Pegasos, and its release was postponed a long time because of this. To get wheels turning and things going, they made a small production run that could be distributed and sold to selected people, that had to sign an NDA prior to receiving a board. It was called the Betatester Program. When they had developed the first April patch, they could put it on the motherboards when the motherboards were produced, and when they reached this state they could start selling the Pegasos for real. So the number of unfixed Pegasos boards was quite limited to begin with, and AFAIK all participants in the betatester program was later offered to have the April patch applied to their unfixed motherboards. Not everyone did this however, and these boards are now the only ones that never got a fix. Shouldn't be too many out there...

There never was a "massive production" of the Pegasos 1. They moved on to the Pegasos 2, which should have been produced in far greater numbers (although I'm not entirely sure it could be called "massive production" either).

Quote:

And why this is called the April bug?

It's not, it's called the April *fix*! ;-)

The name came hand in hand with a catchy tagline from b-plan (that today perhaps could be seen as a *prophecy* that came true): "There is no Mai without April". :-)

The month of May is called Mai in German, and Mai was also the manufacturer of the buggy Articia chip.

With no April, there can be no Mai... :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.12.07 - 09:58
    CountRaven
    Wow!

Fingers crossed. You said it all, simply and well!

THANKS!
  • »13.12.07 - 10:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Hello, gwion!

I am an owner of one of those VERY rare peg 1 with No April fix.

the system is stable - I've certainly had no problem in that regard. My only issue is that I have no USB support.

I'll be checking this thread to see your progress.

good luck and remember to have fun! :bloons:
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »13.12.07 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    The Peg1 will corrupt data when you do DMA I/O operations with your harddrive and your cpu is loaded. That happens if you compile a big project for example.

You could try to find an old 1GB drive for your important data.

On the other hand you could try other things like using a UltraDMA software utility (available from the drive manufacturer) to tell the hard disk to avoid using UltraDMA modes. I didn't test it, but it will probably be the best solution. Hitachi has options to do that:
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_208.pdf
    and probably Seagate, Western Digital and others too

I guess that no similar tool will exist for changing permanently the configuration from your CD/DVD, but you never know
  • »13.12.07 - 16:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @granny

Some small corrections:

There was also the Betatester_2 program which didn't feature an April either and didn't require an NDA.

NO board was ever fixed ! they were either produced with or without April, old boards were exchanged and then resold at bargain prices.

AFAIR the April1-Pegasos is the rarest of the 3 kind, pretty much just the few units build for the Aachen-show and till the end of 2002.
  • »13.12.07 - 19:26
  • Just looking around
    gwion
    "The month of May is called Mai in German"
    Mai is also May in welsh! =)

[ Edited by gwion on 2007/12/15 13:31 ]
  • »15.12.07 - 10:04
    Profile Visit Website