The efika is dead, long live the Efika2!
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    downix
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Quote:

downix wrote:
    You know all of this just makes me long to finish my own design...

Own design? Details please!

Never really released hard details. It needs a new name anyways, someone took Eddas for an edge detection chip. Basically it was an I/O + memory control system paired with a video display component designed to accelerate system performance.

*edit*
    you evil evil people, you got me to actually do a test compile of it last night, and found it would fit into a Virtex 5. Evil evil people... 8)

[ Edited by downix on 2007/9/15 6:30 ]
    Nate Downes
    Genesi SARL
  • »14.09.07 - 14:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    downix
    Doubly evil people now. I swapped out the custom integer unit and put back in a SPARC which I'd taken out, like, 3 years ago, but rather than the old Leon SPARCs that were in there, it now uses the OpenSPARC T1 integer units. Shrank the size too, and I'm ordering a Spartan 3 for testing the design. Again, evil, all of you!

Does anyone honestly want the specs?
    Nate Downes
    Genesi SARL
  • »17.09.07 - 13:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

downix wrote:

I'm ordering a Spartan 3 for testing the design. Again, evil, all of you!

Teehee...

Quote:

Does anyone honestly want the specs?

I don't know, but sure people would love to hear about this custom hardware project. I've been unable to find any information with a regular internet search engine. But I'm sure that the name "eddas" sounds in my head, from ancient posts somewhere.

Now, onwards with the unrelevant detail of giving your project a real world use... ;-) Wouldn0t it be cool if the new Efika2 had one of those horny FPGAs on board? It was mentioned for the original Efika, and never materialised.
    To me, having programmable hardware sounds very, very cool. In fact, it reduces the chance of something being impossible to do... having the reight tools and knowledge, of course.
    A programmeble hadrware Efika2 would be very interesting and distinctive. But I guess it would make it cost quite a bit more, perhaps for a functionality that nobody (except you?) would use...

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2007/9/17 13:51 ]
  • »17.09.07 - 13:50
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    downix
    Truth is, I wasn't designing it to remain in FPGA. FPGA's are fun for hacking, not for performance (unless you want to spend thousands per-chip). I'm prototyping it in FPGA, then going from there.

Ok, I'll finish up the reworking around the T1 (that thing opened up so many options I'm still not wrapping my head around it entirely) then post a spec here.
    Nate Downes
    Genesi SARL
  • »17.09.07 - 14:09
    Profile Visit Website