Pegasos II Openfirmware V1.3
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    Hello,i have more than a year with this beta version,
    1.3 2005082105339 ...(i have issues with 1.2 and agp card , bPlan sent me a beta version to test,thanks for this because i cant use any agp card on my Peg)

Everything works fine ,just i cant autostart ,always i must to type boot peggy (peggy is my bootscript file) to boot in MOS,amd others systems.

Any news about a full 1.3 OF?
    G4/1GHz,1GB DDRam,Ati Radeon 9250 128Mb
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
    Molk with MacOSX 10.4.9 Tiger
    --------------------------------------------
    iMac 27" 2007 2,16 MHz,1,5 Gb Ram OSX 10.6.5
    AppleTv 40Gb with external 160Gb HDD
  • »31.05.07 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Where did you get the beta 1.3 ?

I'm still with 1.2 and I have some clear OF issues, which I hope to be solved with the next release.
  • »02.06.07 - 08:25
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    Hi,
    I got from Thomas Knabel from bPlan after i related some issues with agp cards oon my Peg.I bought from Vesalia the board only...

Refered to this beta version works great just the autostart function is disabled,remain to be fixed on the next release

Unoftunately in don't have anymore this file..

I sended mails about this to bPlan but no asnwer at all.
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
  • »02.06.07 - 08:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Hm, my Peg has Firmware 1.2 but with date of 20051216 and is newer than your 1.3?
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.06.07 - 10:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    I wrote Mr.Knabel about some probs of harddisks not detected on first boot.
    He replied very friendly, but I never got any later firmware..

[ Edited by judas on 2007/6/2 21:03 ]
  • »02.06.07 - 21:02
  • czp
  • Just looking around
    czp
    @dOpus: Did you try this at the Open Firmware 'ok' prompt?

setenv boot-file peggy
    setenv auto-boot? true

@judas:

There is a two line code for nvramrc to add some extra time to bootup and give enough time to HDD spin up. It's somewhere deeply hidden into morphzone or powerdeveloper.

[ Edited by czp on 2007/6/3 8:17 ]
  • »03.06.07 - 08:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    I try this commands right after i get this firmware,but don't work...Mr.Knabel says because is beta this function is disabled.

The message is "error:bootimage format is of an unknown format"

The only problem with this beta is the autostart function...

Waiting for a new version of OF,on the bPlan page no new firmwares.

Thanks for the tip
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
  • »03.06.07 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

dOpus wrote:
    Hello,i have more than a year with this beta version,
    1.3 2005082105339 ...

That's interesting.

I've always taken the long number to represent a build timestamp - YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.

Mine is 1.2 20051216161829.

Your version stamp would indicate that it's 1.3, but built before my 1.2 release.

Mind you, it's not so hard to believe that they have one beta release in development and one stable release at any one time.
  • »04.06.07 - 10:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Hi,
    I allready found the strange OF-script to get an extra delay to detect harddisks.

Maybe this would help in other cases, but on my 3 Peg2's, booting often stops after the logo of the OF.
    .. I guess the keyboard wasn't detected, so serial console was used...

With linux, I often miss the Gigabit-ethernet on the first start after powerup.

All these bugs annoy me since the Peg2's are here. ( Not talking about the stupid move-the-mouse-will-kill-the-of-console-bug of the PEG1).

The only solution seems to build some extra control device (AVR ?) to work around these bugs.
    .. I hoped, the new Firmware would fix some of this, but I didn't expect the long time of the new OF to appear.

( If it was an "Open source firmware", I guess we wouldn't even talk about these topics now.)
  • »04.06.07 - 10:19
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

judas wrote:
    With linux, I often miss the Gigabit-ethernet on the first start after powerup.

Gigabit works first time every time for me, here. But I do have an odd problem - when I turn the power off to my Pegasos completely, SmartFirmware tftpboot and the first boot into MorphOS find the via rhine ethernet interface unusable. I have to boot into Linux and then return to firmware/MorphOS before I can use that network interface.

I guess it's something to do with some initialisation that the Linux rhine driver does that firmware/via_rhinepci.device do not do.

Which is annoying, because if I don't have a usable Linux installation at the time, I have to shift the network cable from the 100Mb port to the Gigabit port to netboot just to get the 100Mb interface working!

Quote:

judas wrote:
    ( If it was an "Open source firmware", I guess we wouldn't even talk about these topics now.)

Actually, CodeGen released SmartFirmware under a shared-source license. See http://www.openbios.org/SmartFirmware for details. It's by no means a full implementation - in fact, the code in the subversion repository contains amd64, i386, bebox and coldfire hardware support (most likely not board-implementation specific). You would have to implement much more to even get it to boot on a Pegasos machine, and that's before you consider the various board revisions.

[ Edited by nine on 2007/6/4 9:37 ]
  • »04.06.07 - 10:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

Gigabit works first time every time for me, here. But I do have an odd problem - when I turn the power off to my Pegasos completely, SmartFirmware tftpboot and the first boot into MorphOS find the via rhine ethernet interface unusable. I have to boot into Linux and then return to firmware/MorphOS before I can use that network interface.

I guess it's something to do with some initialisation that the Linux rhine driver does that firmware/via_rhinepci.device do not do.

Which is annoying, because if I don't have a usable Linux installation at the time, I have to shift the network cable from the 100Mb port to the Gigabit port to netboot just to get the 100Mb interface working!

You can try with ViaRhine-WakeUp .
    This useful tool solved me a similar problem affecting Morphos Ethernet after Linux usage...
    Hoping this will help you,

Regards,
    ___
    AKiLL
  • »04.06.07 - 11:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    @nine:
    I experience the same problem. Due to the missing Gigabit-interface, linux starts renumbering the devices and so even via doesn't work any more.

Later linux versions connect to the MAC of the ethernet, which should be better, but it isnt:
    My PEG delivers an unknown but reasonable MAC for the Gigabit on first boot. ( Maybe the optional second Gigabit expansion ?)

Like you, I switch the power completely off during night, which might be the cause that some people never experience our problems.

The firmware links sounds interessting, but is the complete sourcecode for a PEG downloadable ?
    I don't want to develop a bios from scratch .. I just want to do some minor tweaks ... because waiting for the next OF starts to suck :-D
  • »04.06.07 - 13:47
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

judas wrote:
    The firmware links sounds interessting, but is the complete sourcecode for a PEG downloadable ?
    I don't want to develop a bios from scratch .. I just want to do some minor tweaks ... because waiting for the next OF starts to suck :-D

The short answer: No :-D

I gather that there is a significant amount of bPlan code in the firmware implementation for the Pegasos. And the chances of getting hold of that to build your own... not to mention the number of people who would wind up with non-booting hardware...

[ Edited by nine on 2007/6/4 13:14 ]
  • »04.06.07 - 14:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @judas

calm down or you'll kill your board.
    better wait an upgrade by some serious firmware developpers (BPlan)
  • »04.06.07 - 14:26
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    I think it's better to wait for a oficial OF from bPlan

Anyway just the autoboot is the single problem for me..
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
  • »04.06.07 - 15:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Quote:

dOpus wrote:
    Anyway just the autoboot is the single problem for me..

Maybe you could add the boot command at the end of nvramrc script ?
  • »04.06.07 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Maybe you could add the boot command at the end of nvramrc script ?

would you try this yourself ?
    what's the point in killing your board for some useless experiments. If BPlan disabled it in the beta i guess it's on purpose.

I saw a few ones coming on IRC crying cause they messed up with the nvramrc..
  • »04.06.07 - 18:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    No risk no fun ...
    In the old Amigadays I soldered everything round my machines ( A1000 with 2MB kick, A4000 Desktop with 5th slot ...). With the years I even got better ... just the BGA is still a NoGO.
    I crossflashed several gfx-cards, routers and PC-Mainboards ... I all worked out, finally :-)

Usually every flash has some kind of recoverymode, just in case you flashed something odd ... I guess, bplan was clever enough to do so, too.

Of course, it would be nice, if bplan quickly fixed the OF, MorphOS 1.5 (or 2.0) was ready ... but years have passed and the reality is still MorphOS 1.45 and slight buggy PEG2 and Peg1 OF ......
  • »04.06.07 - 20:08