8641D - Argo Navis
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    423453602_fa51fe7ab0.jpg

A picture of the PCEVALHPCN-8641D "Argo Navis" (taken from BBRV's blog), the ground on which the Pegasos 8641D will be built! :-)

The 8641D is the most complete, powerful and impressive 32-bit PPC CPU up to this date!

Something for MorphOS in a not too distant future perhaps? :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.03.07 - 15:49
    Kronos
    As much as I hate crossposting, here is a shortened version of what I wrote on AW.net just one hour ago:

Quote:

I'm sick and tired of BBRV posting each of his brainfarts as next big thing.
    I'm sick and tired of Ironfist&TMHGM preaching said brainfart as the "real new testament".
    I'm sick and tired of the MOS-team making crap jokes like "only 1.5 more weeks".

Did I miss someone ? Wanna annonce an announcemt ? Feel free to put yourself onto that list

All these people should really smash their heads to the wall atleas a dozen times (I'm willing to lend a hand if needed) to get the megalomania out of their systems. Afterwards they can get their acts together and post news when they got news to post.

So if someone "with the powers" is capable of saying "Pegasos8617D has gone into production" do so, but till then STFU.

And if someone "with even more power" is capable of saying "MorphOS will run on it" do, but till then STFU.

Btw. what the point in stacking all those 5.25-power-connectors ? Looks like someone was bored :-P
  • »17.03.07 - 17:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @Kronos

please calm down and go back posting your anger on aw.net. If you're "sick and tired" then have a rest and get a life.

@takemehomegrandma

i thought this project was cancelled ?
  • »17.03.07 - 17:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    As much as I hate crossposting, here is a shortened version of what I wrote on AW.net just one hour ago:

Quote:

I'm sick and tired of BBRV posting each of his brainfarts as next big thing.
    I'm sick and tired of Ironfist&TMHGM preaching said brainfart as the "real new testament".
    I'm sick and tired of the MOS-team making crap jokes like "only 1.5 more weeks".

Did I miss someone ? Wanna annonce an announcemt ? Feel free to put yourself onto that list

All these people should really smash their heads to the wall atleas a dozen times (I'm willing to lend a hand if needed) to get the megalomania out of their systems. Afterwards they can get their acts together and post news when they got news to post.

I am 100% with you on this. The jokes are getting very old, talk is as cheap as it always was and the megalomania has become as worse as it can get.
  • »17.03.07 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I am 100% with you on this. The jokes are getting very old, talk is as cheap as it always was and the megalomania has become as worse as it can get.

I couldn't agree more! :P

- CISC
  • »17.03.07 - 18:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    The main reason we blog is that it is a very effective and very inexpensive sales and marketing vehicle. We need only to invest our time and creativity. The proof it works is that Genesi and bplan exist. We don't have the luxury of any sort of fancy marketing budget. We operate on positive cash-flow. We have regular salaries to pay and production to fund. Anything else like this site is extra. We have had to rely on an online presence to capture and channel the attention of perspective buyers and business partners. Please keep in mind that the objective is to attract more customers and more business partners. Here is this past weeks week's report (six days).

424295634_1aebfd779c.jpg

There is much useful information to harvest from Google Analytics. If you are reading this you know the OSNews readers came to read about AROS for the EFIKA. We learned a lot about market interest on that one. In so doing, it helps us tune not only the message, but it helps us manage it. What do we mean by that? Try this. Google the following key word pairs:

open client
    dirty feet

Try these obvious searches:

bbrv
    efika

And, how about these unlikely combinations:

chinese national day
    quadruple play
    next ipod
    looking good feeling good

The ipod blog led to the Cisco interest in Genesi. If you searched open client on the web you may have noticed our promotion finds itself above anything IBM has had to say about the subject (any guess how much money does IBM spends on marketing?). How many results are there? If the results have Evolution of the Species near the top that means the blog is read. dirty feet promotes power2people. The others have created a significant value (we are talking business/contracts/money). Publishing often and using the right words makes it all work. Check this out: the medium is the message ;-)

One more note about this Web2.0 strategy. If you get it wrong, you can start over. Google this: Amiga Reunification

OK? :-D

In the meanwhile, what have we had to sell? We had three versions of the Pegasos I which were not good enough to be top shelf commercial products and we had the Pegasos II, which was long in the teeth by the time we were able to get Freescale to agree to purchase a few. Thanks to those multiple purchases we were able to make sure many of you received free boards or machines (and often more than once!). Ultimately, upgrading the Pegasos II to the 7447A was impractical for a number of reasons. Today, we have the EFIKA and a few 8641D reference design buyers. We do what we can to draw attention to the offerings. That picture is of a machine we shipped yesterday to a customer in China. They paid good money for it. Without the Internet we would have never had this relationship.

Of course, we are disappointed to read this from the three of you - long time Pegasos users and valuable members of this Community, but it won't stop us from posting to our Blog about our Company. That is what it is for. You would probably agree that it is better done there than in a Forum such as this. In any case, if you don't like it just don't read it! :-)

Last, but not least! We appreciate ironfist and TMHG. For example, ironfist's EFIKA review generated a huge response online (don't we want more MorphOS buyers?). His review led to a leading Swedish IT magazine article. This got the attention of Freescale and it added another reason to their list why they needed *this* Community. In the meanwhile, TMHG has been a crusader in righting wrongs and keeping the history that is written right. Think about that. Don't ever forget that perception is reality. That works today or in a hundred years from now after we are all gone and this discussion is still being read.

Kind regards,
    R&B :-)
    Not megalomaniacs, just hard working people trying to build a company...
  • »17.03.07 - 19:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Kronos

OK, I'm sorry. I just thought that a picture of the Argo Navis board would be cool to see. I have searched a picture like this myself, but in vain until now. Didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Sorry!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.03.07 - 23:19
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 20.09.2011 - 20:57 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »17.03.07 - 23:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    @Kronos
    I would have chosen other words but I agree.
  • »18.03.07 - 03:30
    Kronos
    @bbrv
    I don't have a problem with the existance of your blog, or every single post on it, but (you knew that had to come :-P ) putting them alltogether and combining them with your forum-posts generates a rather confusing view off your company.

It's often not clear what you want to sell, or how the buzzwords used relate in any way to product pushed in a blog-entry.

And even worse, you make posts (right here) that suggest your put the 8641D on the shelf (maybe even cancelled it), and just a few weeks later you blog-push it again.

I understand that your are pretty much hanging on some tangled strings (not) controlled by Freescale here, but maybe it would be wiser not to follow every twist in public and only speak up when something a bit more clear can be said.

Offcourse I'll continue to use MorphOS, and I'm surely interested in any new HW running that OS (being Genesi/bPlan or even something else), but I somehow doubt there will be many options here this year (except EFIKA).

@TMHGM

Maybe this post wasn't an ideal example, and I surely didn't mind seeing that picture. But you do have a pattern of blindly praising everything BBRV post no matter how little substance there sometimes is.

@ironfist
    Well he's even proud of being called a Genesi-cheerleader, so nothing to add here.

[ Edited by Kronos on 2007/3/18 9:54 ]
  • »18.03.07 - 08:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Ladies and gentlemen: There's no business like .....

I'm also tired of waiting for MorphOS 1.5, firmware updates and the neverending diversity with the OS4-guys.

On the other hand, bbrv serve a difficult market (= guys like me 8-) ) and there's no budget to do advertising on expensive media, I guess.
    So it's just another flavour of M$ leaking "codenames" or Steve Jobs "vision" spreading through the news.

My base problem is the lack of trust in a future perspective, as only very little progress was visible for me as a convinced MorphOs-PEG1/2 user.
  • »18.03.07 - 10:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    Kronos:
    If you would have any sense of humour you would understand that
    my cheerleader avatar is irony at AW.net. It wouldn't work on many
    other sites. Maybe SAFIR and Amigans.net. But they would just ban me.
  • »18.03.07 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    The most important thing to remember in this discussion is that we all want the success of MorphOS. We hope MorphOS will drive increased sales for the EFIKA *and* that this will be a growth market (we want Freescale to ascribe to this intent too). Second to this key point is another essential understanding: in today's market transparency is a competitive advantage.

Let's tackle the latter first with a specific example while addressing some of your comments and a comment made by Judas...

We have shelved the development of a bplan/Genesi 8641D based Pegasos system for now. We still sell the 8641D Reference Platform. You can buy it on our site now *and* you can buy it with our Firmware. Our business here is to license the Firmware not sell 8641D systems. Can you see the difference? As for Freescale, putting these issues in public aids the discussion and proves (or disproves) an idea or an opportunity. Having EFIKA developers publish their progress on their respective development effort has been good and bad. We will provide two good examples:

EFIKA Power Projects

Both these Projects are now FINANCIALLY supported by companies that each generate more than $2 Billion in revenue. And, in the case of Project #338 the US Government and Harvard University are now funding implementations. We have other customers for this Project. For 337, the Project has now taken on such importance that it has in part become proprietary. We think that Project went very fast from a hobby to a business.

About the future and what other hardware options you will see...

There is one that *might* happen much sooner than you think. We will tell you about that when it is ready. Does that make the point? :-) We are working on a future, but in the meanwhile we have a _present_ for you.

Kronos, one last thing. We think you make a mistake in disparaging ironfist and TMHG. They are in this Community too. You can certainly share your opinions, but there is no reason to insult. If we want MorphOS to sell (and it will for more than the EFIKA) we need to keep the market anticipating a future. Something to consider: v2.0 sounds more professional than v1.0 or 1.45, etc. v1.0 most software usually contains bugs and often companies do their best to stay away from being a betatester. Look at Vista. There is not much solid/business interest (see Microsoft PR on lower earnings, etc.). After SP1 is released we think there will be a 180-turn and Vista will be implemented everywhere, exactly as XP SP1. We hope the same anticipation is building for the MorphOS release. But, remember, that is not for the people that already have it. This is for the Freescale customers that do not. It is a hard sell for alternative industrial software, but we are making very good progress and this is part of marketing the future we want.

• »18.03.07 - 13:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    "We hope MorphOS will drive increased sales for the EFIKA"

it should't be viceversa?
  • »18.03.07 - 13:27
    bbrv
    It works both ways, which is why we had no trouble paying the MorphOS-Team for EFIKA support.

Also, we hope they generate plenty of sales for future releases in support of other platforms *beyond* the EFIKA.

• »18.03.07 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @ironfist

Oh I know it's ironic, maybe not just exactly the way it was intended to be ;-)
  • »18.03.07 - 19:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    (Totally out of context personal post - took it down myself and NOT because anyone asked me to)

magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2007/3/18 16:13 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »18.03.07 - 19:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Thomas, good thinking!

[ Edited by Genesi on 2007/3/18 21:24 ]
  • »18.03.07 - 20:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Not appropriate.
    magnetic
    :-)

[ Edited by magnetic on 2007/3/18 16:16 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »18.03.07 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Kronos

Your preference of a certain understaement (as it is done to extreme by the MOS-team (not a single word too much)) is not of everyone's taste. And while I personally like it very much, I doubt it is the best approach (it is very scientific).
    You need advertising. Of course advertising can become negative when you bore ppl with stupid jingoism.
    But who will decide what is optimal. BBRV are trying the extrovertive, enthusiastic, 'american' way of marketing, the MOS team does the oppsite 'elite, pure facts', silent way. Both ways have their pros & cons and can be successful. But true for both is that they are not of everyone's taste and are dangerous when exaggerated. You (and some others) felt BBRV have exaggerated - but you never know.
    But one thing is for sure, BBRV are trying hard (and have some success, does the Peg exist or not Does the efika exist or not).
    Same is true for the MOS-Team (MOS exists!).
    But we'll never know if another strategy chosen had lead to a total desaster or a furious desater.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2007/3/19 14:37 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.03.07 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >We have shelved the development of a bplan/Genesi 8641D based Pegasos system for now.

In this clarity this is news to me - but understandable...

May we look forward to another desktop-able system with a different CPU?
  • »19.03.07 - 13:43
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    @Genesi & BBRV

I know you are out to make money, but you have nothing for me to buy . . . Cancelled the bplan/Genesi 8641D based Pegasos.

Efika:
    Price: Board, Graphics Card, Case & PSU - wow, not cheap any more. :-o
    Design: To limited. :roll:
    Need: Haven't found one. :-?

To top it off, Linux . . . :xx: :xxx: Really needs MOS.

As far as the blog goes, I find it rich with ideas, just nothing that relates to me. I still read it though. :-)
  • »19.03.07 - 15:26
  • Just looking around
    logo
    Code:
    We have shelved the development of a bplan/Genesi 8641D based Pegasos system for now.

What about a more powerful Efika ?
    I would be glad to buy a new MorphOs-PPC hardware, but not a turtle one !

Thanks for great Pegasos 2.
    Pegasos 2 - G4 - Radeon 8500le
  • »19.03.07 - 16:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi BBRV, I am sorry (very sorry) to hear you have stopped Pegasos III development (8641D). As a Pegasos 2 owner I am not at all interested in Eifka, but rather a more powerful and modern desktop board that can run current and future versions of MorphOS.

I hope that you will not ignore this market...

Cheers!
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »19.03.07 - 17:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

I hope that you will not ignore this market...

what market ? a few morphOS fans ? :-)
    is there a market for a PPC desktop solution outside from the hardcore ppc fans ?

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2007/3/19 19:30 ]
  • »19.03.07 - 18:26