MorphOS 1.5 running on Efika!!!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Get the EFIKA down to $100 and I will buy it. Put MOS 1.5 on there for $100 and I will buy that also.

MOS-Team, MAKE IT HAPPEN! Quit lolly gagging around and wallowing in the muck because of what did or didnt happen in the past. You want to make some $ well here is your chance.

-Alex

@Fran:

who's the hot chick in the avatar?

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2006/10/16 12:38 ]
  • »16.10.06 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    money is not always the most important thing to some people. there are those around today who still have principles. mos-team are not a puppet to Genesi that should dance whenever told, for peanuts.

but I agree, if the mos-team can make some money from this then they should. it's about time!

i really think MorphOS-team should also be keeping Gensi in check when it comes to *THEIR* OS. there seems something wrong about bbrv using 1.5 to promote Efrika without first asking. this alone would be tempting cause to sue them into tomorrow.

of course, I don't know the details of any agreements...but then how can we when the MOS-Team seem pretty quite on this.
  • »16.10.06 - 19:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I'm 100% sure the MOS team are very busy making 1.5 happen. But getting the Efika down in price is not their job.

Btw, I also understand quite well that they don't think it is realistic to sell some 1.4.x version. At any rate it is their decision and we must accept it.

Personally I wouldn't mind Freescale selling 1.5, but be sure that this isn't only about some simple 'decision', finishing 1.5 is hard work and that's what the team is busy with.

Btw, I think it is a bit misleading that we're being told (sometimes by MOS Team members also) that someone is showing "MOS 1.5". The truth is that 1.5 doesn't exist.. only some work-in-progress version exists. Surely the team members have been using it for years, but this is like living in a house under construction.. if you don't mind your step you might fall down some open shaft, you'll get plaster in your hair all the time, and it's generally unsafe and uncomfortable. It might look nice from well chosen angles, but when we're told that someone is showing "1.5" (and of course only working stuff is shown) it does give some people the weird idea that it's just lying there waiting to be released.
  • »16.10.06 - 19:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I wasnt implying that the MOS Team was in charge of EFIKA prices, that was aimed at BBRV or the powers at be.

what I'm getting at is.. I'll pay $100 for MOS. Whichever version works on the EFIKA board. But by paying for MOS I *expect updates*. If the OS is free then I wouldnt expect anything from them..if a update came out then great if not, hey it was free.

PS. You cant sue someone for showing that a OS is running on a motherboard. Thats like me buying a x86 mobo and showing Vista running on it.

@Nigel:
    Doesnt look like Genesi is trying to be a master of puppets on this one. Giving MOS Team a page that enables them to sell their OS on a site as big as Freescale is a blessing is diguise. Right now MOS Team doesnt even get peanuts so they should jump on the opportunity. BTW, If 1.5 was demo'd on EFIKA, how do you think he got 1.5? Off of a torrent somewhere? Limewire? Snuck in through the open window and burned a iso image?
  • »16.10.06 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    What would really be productive here is some sort of official MOS Team statement on MOS for Efika (not "its not supported" we know this) A statement for possible FUTURE plans/ideas would be nice..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »16.10.06 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    So all breathe in, breath out....

MOS-Team, before getting too angry because of the Freescale site. Think about it and maybe give an "harmonised" reply to either BBRV or in this thread.

I think it is an big achievment from BBRV to get you on the Freescale site, on the other hand they should have shown it to the Morph-OS team, before showing us. We all want this not ending as a mess.

Bye
  • »16.10.06 - 20:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Magnetic: Because they aren't saying anything, I think it's safe to assume that they don't have any definite plans/ideas for Efika. Eg, nothing solid enough to make any announcement about. And so they aren't doing that.

Saying "we have no real plans for the Efika, but who knows what may happen in the future" wouldn't be that much of an announcement.
  • »16.10.06 - 20:48
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    Quote:

merko wrote:
    Magnetic: Because they aren't saying anything, I think it's safe to assume that they don't have any definite plans/ideas for Efika. Eg, nothing solid enough to make any announcement about. And so they aren't doing that.

Saying "we have no real plans for the Efika, but who knows what may happen in the future" wouldn't be that much of an announcement.

But it would be an announcement, and you could end it with we are looking at the possibilities.

So can somebody tell me who was responsible for showing the EFIKA on the Amiga show? It could explain who started al this at least...

And I also want to end with:
    If EFIKA will come for 100$ and MorphOS 1.x for an other 100$ I would buy it to.
  • »16.10.06 - 21:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    Quote:

So can somebody tell me who was responsible for showing the EFIKA on the Amiga show? It could explain who started al this at least...

As far as i know it was a reseller from Germany, and it was just a "technical" demonstration. Like a concept car on a big car fair. Nobody knows if they are only for the show or will end up in a mass market product.

Bye
  • »16.10.06 - 21:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    I think there is still a good relationship between Genesi,
    bPlan and Laire ("MOS-Team").

Laire is a reasonable man and I'm sure you will see
    MorphOS for the EFIKA, sooner or later. When he see it's
    selling in numbers he won't be stupid and let such oppor-
    tunity pass.

What the rest of the team thinks doesn't really matter
    methinks. Laire is the boss, and that's it.
  • »16.10.06 - 22:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    we know. sothat is why we are waiting for him to say something on this, or least a bit more Official statement from the MOS-team.

mos users are looking to mos-team for answers on this, not Genesi and so as the boss he should maybe say something. Genesi are doing all the talking, but really no body trust 100% what they say.

once he does that will be the end of the talk i think.
  • »16.10.06 - 22:46
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Zylesea
    The word 'lie' is a very stromg word which shpuld be used with special care, wouldn't it be more precise to just say 'is not backed up'?

It's a strong word, but also used appropriately in this context ("almost certainly" is also part of that sentence).

Quote:

@robjoh
    Doesn't that mean that the MorphOS - team should contact Freescale and say that you don't want to be on their homepage and that Genesi is not the owner of the software?

That would probably be a good idea...

Quote:

But then I really want to get an answer from my first question, who brought a EFIKA running MorphOS to the Amiga show? BBRV, Ralph? Or somebody else?

Shouldn't be a mystery, the news clearly says it was Axel Knabe. ;)

Quote:

The next question is who have done the port of MorphOS 1.5 to EFIKA? BBRV?bPlan? Ralph?

Ralph did the support for the 5200 arch.

Quote:

@guruman
    - do you see the presence and the mentions of MorphOS on the Freescale corporate site as something negative? It definitely would seem so from your wording.

It's certainly very negative that it was added there without any kind of agreement or even asking.

Quote:

Won't you consider the possibility to have MorphOS legally sold by Freescale at some point? Or would you dismiss any opportunity that is even remotely connected with bbrv actions and efforts?

Sure, having MorphOS on the Freescale pages would most likely be a boon, and given the right circumstances we would probably like that very much, however this is not the right way to go about it.

Quote:

I was wondering if there is still the possibility you can work together, given a certain amount of things happens, some actions are taken, the stars are lined up in some particular fashion, and of course such a collaboration is taken to a different level than it was before, or do you exclude it altogheter?

There's always possibilities, but right now I'd say that requires major positive efforts from BBRV.

Quote:

@catohagen
    i think its time mos team stands up and put an end to all this genesi/bbrv lies and bullflowers then. they should sue so hard and heavy until they are blue.

Lawyers need food too I guess. ;)

Quote:

@Genesi
    We are willing to have altered on the Freescale site the price to be charged for MorphOS to any amount the MorphOS-Team wants or we can have MorphOS removed from the Freescale site. This decision is the MorphOS-Team's to make.

It should have been our decision to put it there in the first place, you had no business implicating Freescale in your little games...

Quote:

We are completely willing to comply with any request Ralph makes about any of these issues.

Then next time please consider asking first and acting accordingly after getting a reply.

Quote:

@magnetic
    What would really be productive here is some sort of official MOS Team statement on MOS for Efika (not "its not supported" we know this) A statement for possible FUTURE plans/ideas would be nice..

Last time we did that BBRV deleted it.

- CISC
  • »16.10.06 - 23:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    CISC, PPCG4006 has been online on the Freescale site as long as PPCG4001-10. They have been online for a long time. We modified the EFIKA page from what it was before because bringing Part #'s into the Freescale system takes time. As discussed with Ralph already, whatever the MorphOS-Team wants on that page we will put there.

You can stop trashing us now. Thanks.

R&B
  • »17.10.06 - 00:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

CISC, PPCG4006 has been online on the Freescale site as long as PPCG4001-10. They have been online for a long time.

And this makes things better how?

Quote:

As discussed with Ralph already, whatever the MorphOS-Team wants on that page we will put there.

Great, then all you have to do is settle the terms and conditions. ;)

Quote:

You can stop trashing us now.

When you stop giving me reasons to, I will.

Quote:

Thanks.

You're welcome.

- CISC
  • »17.10.06 - 00:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

What the rest of the team thinks doesn't really matter
    methinks. Laire is the boss, and that's it.

Yes, sure. Fuck everybody until they all remove the parts they own and you will see if there is enough left to boot.

The rest of this thread reminds me of websites puting tons of illegal music or games online and claiming it's not a probem because they will remove them if there is a problem anyway.
    While perfectly knowing they should have asked all right holders for their permission in the first place.

Weird story for a weird company.

[ Edited by Henes on 2006/10/17 1:28 ]
  • »17.10.06 - 01:26
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Too bad that something which could have been very positive thing turned into a pretty negative flavour.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »17.10.06 - 04:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Too bad that something which could have been very positive thing turned into a pretty negative flavour.

Unfortunately...this one had the smell of same old forum games from the start. :-(
  • »17.10.06 - 05:22
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    Quote:

CISC wrote:

Sure, having MorphOS on the Freescale pages would most likely be a boon, and given the right circumstances we would probably like that very much, however this is not the right way to go about it.

Quote:

I was wondering if there is still the possibility you can work together, given a certain amount of things happens,... or do you exclude it altogheter?

There's always possibilities, but right now I'd say that requires major positive efforts from BBRV.

- CISC

Ok it seems everybody keeps cool, i like that.
    Please remember that Freescale is not Genesi, so you wouldn't have to deal with BBRV too much if you don't want to -> You could through Ralph as it seems, which then should be enough. Yes, it was not right putting this offer up on the Freescale site without the MOS-Teams knowing. But maybe they wanted to show you that they really can( Yes, always looking for the good inside mankind)... and F'scale is a bigger fish than Genesi, if they trust enough in your product to offer it you maybe should too.

I think we shouldn't request a fast (hasty) statement from the MOS-Team (not only the account but the whole team), let them talk about it internally and then decide what to do. Writing a fast E-Mail to F'scale in rage maybe will shut doors there forever.

I don't think that Ralph is the "Boss" because he has the Kernel, as Henes pointed out there are surely other big parts that will be missing if one or the other Member leaves the Team.

Bye
  • »17.10.06 - 09:16
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    @TheMagicM

Quote:

who's the hot chick in the avatar?

She is Masuimi Max

[ Edited by Fransexy on 2006/10/17 9:33 ]
  • »17.10.06 - 09:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    CISC: Are you sure Laire wasn't asked before
    MorphOS was put up on Freescale's site?

Or do the "MorphOS Team" have some kind of
    wierd super-democracy where everyone must
    agree to something like this and everyone has
    equal Veto rights? This would effectively kill
    pretty much every deals possible..

"Buhu, Buhu, I hate Bill, I will for ever stop all
    possibilities of friendship with Genesi and their
    partners and friends.. Never again! Buhu.."
  • »17.10.06 - 10:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Atheist
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    #Atheist

1. This is NOT your personal litter box, and I won't let you make it that

That's funny Kronos, no actually hilarious, as when I do that at AW.N, I get labeled 1,001 names, accused of mental difficulties, etc.

Besides, wake up and smell the coffee, my post did not troll here. We're talking about your wild imagination now.

Quote:

2. A product shown as working doesn't automaticly imply that the product is allredy available

Wrong buddy. Didn't you read my reference URL? bbrv himself said that it WAS available.

Quote:

3. Genesi did offer to bundle MOS (or even OS4), but sofar the offer was declined. Unless you talk about the about a compulsory bundle, which would mean charging extra $$$ to real costumers who won't need neither MOS nor OS4 (and any new board needs those kind of costumers these days). That idea was insane 4 years ago, and it definitly didn't get any better over the years.

Again, Apple does it, so it's good for MOS and AOS4.x.

What part of "these two OSs won't make it, if it isn't so" do you not understand????

Amiga Inc. chose that path, and I agree that MOS should expect the same. It's my opinion.

Be smart, stand behind what you support.

Quote:

4. A 400MHz board is by far more than any of the wannabe-HW-companies have been able to show over the past years. The question is not wether it's suitable for the "Amiga-Market", but wether it's suitable for real markets.
    Which it offcourse will only be if the price is right, so one can forget about charging extra for certain hobby-OSses not wanted by these costumers.

All I'm saying is that, is that all the combined prowess of Freescale and Power.Org was able to help Genesi and bplan to do???

Intel and AMD better watch out now, huh?

We got bigger problems. What if they just go and discontinue production of 970's due to lack of market interest? (The fact that they're hugely expensive couldn't possibly be a factor though, right?)

That would be terrible!!!!! I still think that a motherboard should come with a G5 and a Cell as a slave CPU, be a co-pro, just like in the days of Amiga 500s, 600s, etc.

Quote:

5. A1-owners weren't told upfront that they would be buying a semi-working no guarantee piece HW

No they weren't, but neither did ibum tell Eyetech that MAI were losers and should only have been making silicon designs for wristwatches and parking meters.

Honestly, everyone DID know it was a limited amount of protoypes before a run was made. Amiga 2000's had several revisions too, you know?
  • »17.10.06 - 10:37
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    ironfist, i think the last part was really unnecessary. Or was it tactics? You want them to unload their rage on you instead of BBRV?

[ Edited by Donar on 2006/10/17 10:47 ]
  • »17.10.06 - 10:45
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    I was under the impression that the MorphOS Team had all these licensing & distribution issues worked out. These issues should have been worked out a while ago. What's going on guys?

We also assumed that the development of MorphOS isn't about "getting paid" like the guys on morphos.net would have you think, its about getting the development of MorphOS to the point where it can be licensed & distributed, earning money by getting it out there and on products, right?

Perhaps, assuming that these details haven't been worked out (why not?) the advertisement of morphos on the freescale website taken off until the licensing and distribution agreements for MorphOS within the morphos team are worked out?
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »17.10.06 - 11:06
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Donar wrote:
    ironfist, i think the last part was really unnecessary. Or was it tactics? You want them to unload their rage on you instead of BBRV?

[ Edited by Donar on 2006/10/17 10:47 ]

Perhaps.

Personally, I just think ironfist is a nutcase ;-)
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »17.10.06 - 11:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Atheist
    Quote:

@Atheist

So if I understand you correct:
    1, You are angry because you have been banned on AW.net...what has that with the discussion about MorphOS 1.5 running on EFIKA.

Hi robjoh,

It's simply an aside. An announcement of an announcement.

Many here will ".... and there was much rejoicing" ; ref "Monty Pyhton and the Holy Grail".

Quote:

2, You think that BBRV and Power is useless becasue they aren't delivering anything, and most of all not a high end workstation for Morph or Amiga. Well I haven't followed power.org as much but I think that Mercury has delivered the first Cell based evualtion bord and that IBM and Fresscale is working on a common instuctionset for their CPU:s.

Cell motherboards, yes, available at a paltry sum of $16,000 dollars.

Maybe it was bplan, genesi and MOS that (also) chose the wrong side of the fence, as ibum stinks when it comes to pricing structures. They think everyone has cash reserves of the US government at their disposal.

Although as no one was interested at AW.N I'll pass it along here (as I'm such a nice guy) for a bit of peg pong, consider this; buy PS3's and rip out the motherboards and put them into desktop cases with MOS. (Put in bigger hard drive, DVD-RW, jury-rig them with extra ram, out to 2 or 4 Gigs). There's your Amiga 1000 .... x 1,000! Cheap!!

Quote:

And most of all: The EFIKA is NOT meant to be a high end workstation, it is meant to be a working block for embedded devices, if I remember right one company has already a license for using the design. The EFIKA is, if the price point is right, a way for people like me that is curios for MorphOS to test it and play with it without paying 499$ or more for a Hardware I don't need (I do already own a x86 computer).

At $299 + $100 for MOS, that's my point, where are the 1.7 GHz machines, even if they're $700 US??

Quote:

Next generation hardware for the power.org community should be Peg III, the G5 machine bPlan and Genesi is working on. When that will be possible to buy I don't know but hopefully soon.

Well, I can see that Apple successfully released G5 motherboards, for their own consumption (two years ago).

While, again, the combined efforts of the very people who make the CPUs are sadly incapable of doing so as well.

And everyone questions me using the term "ibum"!

Quote:

And please calm down :) we are just talking about computers here, it is not about life and death.

I'm a fanatic.
  • »17.10.06 - 11:09