MorphOS 1.5 running on Efika!!!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

@jcmarcos
    I mean, what new tricks does this 1.5 MorphOS do?

It can sit, roll over and play dead. ;)

I thought you were a developer.
    Any chance that you forget about all this fuss, and actually tell us about current achievements of your team.
    Really. Please.
  • »19.10.06 - 08:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

We haven't released MorphOS for Efika either, so what's your point?

Read my comment and don't mix it with other people's comments. My point is that you say MOS-Team has the advantage over the OS4-Team of being able to release MOS for whatever machine you want because you are not tied to contracts but you don't release it for any other machine. Why?

You say you can release MOS for whatever you want but don't take advantage and release MorphOS for more platforms.

I'm not talking (only) about Efika, but about any other hardware that could run MorphOS.

In the MOS-Team there's people who probably would like to see MOS running on PowerBooks/macMinis for example yet some members of the MOS-Team seems to be blocking that. Probably Laire.

Quote:

This is what your magic eightball told you, or what? ;)

This is reality. Where are the releases for other machines? can I download it? can I buy it? no? then it's not released.

Then... if no public versions for other hardware exists why you insist in claiming that "MOS can run in the hardware we want".

I doubt we can ever try out MOS running in something not manofactured by Genesi.
  • »19.10.06 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Any chance that you forget about all this fuss, and actually tell us about current achievements of your team.
    Really. Please.

I think the problem is that you expect CISC to act as a spokesman for MorphOS team. My impression is that he does not want that job!

The MorphOS team could avoid the problem of people asking for news/status update if their websites were a bit more informative. Apart from http://www.morphos.de/news.html people have little idea if any development is happening at all.

koan
  • »19.10.06 - 13:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    I think that is exactly the problem too. I can understand, CISC to make fun of people being rude when asking things, or all that, but I don't like, when someone asks something for his first time, and in a correct way, and he gets a "funny" reply.

If you are not willing to reveal a thing, is ok for me, but please, be gentle with the people that is gentle with you. A simple "I'm sorry, but I can't/I'm not authorised/I'm not willing to reveal that information" could be enough.
  • »19.10.06 - 14:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

I doubt we can ever try out MOS running in something not manofactured by Genesi.

MorphOS runs on Amiga.
    And Genesi never ever manufactured a single machine, AFAIK.
    Unless it changed during the past weeks, bplan is a different company owned by different people, whatever some person can write to confuse the reader.
  • »19.10.06 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    What people don't realise is that the *potential* for running on more hardware (except Peg and Amiga) is worth a lot, even if MOS currently does not.

Today, we can still get Peg2 systems. For sure, it would be (very) nice to run MOS on eg Apple laptop systems.. but we don't "need" it.

Just compare this to the OS4 situation, they are truly desperate, because there is *no* reasonable hardware available. And it seems to be much more than a technical problem to port it.

For MOS, on the other hand, it is "only" a technical/logistical problem (providing support for X different Apple models would be a big logistical problem, while limiting to just one Apple model would reduce the usefulness a lot).

Until now, it seems the MOS Team have not prioritised supporting additional hardware. This makes sense to me as we already have good hardware supported. But I'm sure that if this changed, the priorities of the MOS Team would also change. And then it is surely good that they have their freedom.
  • »19.10.06 - 17:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Read my comment and don't mix it with other people's comments.

Ok, for you, and you only I will reply your and only your post in this post.

Quote:

My point is that you say MOS-Team has the advantage over the OS4-Team of being able to release MOS for whatever machine you want because you are not tied to contracts but you don't release it for any other machine. Why?

There are quite a few reasons for that, one reason would be that we haven't released "1.5" yet.

Quote:

You say you can release MOS for whatever you want but don't take advantage and release MorphOS for more platforms.

We are open to work on support for platforms that make sense for us to support (for personal or logistical reasons), however getting that done and into a releasable state takes alot of time.

Quote:

I'm not talking (only) about Efika, but about any other hardware that could run MorphOS.

As you might have noticed we don't have much interest in supporting Efika (for a number of reasons (mostly logistical)), but that doesn't mean we don't have any interest in other hardware...

Quote:

In the MOS-Team there's people who probably would like to see MOS running on PowerBooks/macMinis for example yet some members of the MOS-Team seems to be blocking that. Probably Laire.

Why do you think that, and furthermore, why do you think Laire would want to block that? He may be a hardheaded fool at times, but he's not stupid.

Quote:

This is reality. Where are the releases for other machines? can I download it? can I buy it? no? then it's not released.

Well ofcourse that's reality, I never questioned that did I? You are right, there is no current release of MorphOS that supports hardware other than the Amiga/PowerUP and Pegasos1&2...

Quote:

Then... if no public versions for other hardware exists why you insist in claiming that "MOS can run in the hardware we want".

Because it can .. within reason. If we have the means, knowhow and willingness, we can make MorphOS run on any hardware we wish, nothing would stop us (apart from lack of means, knowhow or willingness).

Quote:

I doubt you can try out MorphOS on anything manufactured by Genesi today, and probably not even in the future (got some complaints about certain people not understanding this one correctly; what I meant is that bplan is doing the actual manufacturing of the hardware Genesi is currently marketing .. ie yet another bad joke from me. :P ). ;)

- CISC

[ Edited by CISC on 2006/10/20 10:32 ]
  • »20.10.06 - 00:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@jcmarcos

Yessir!

Quote:

Really. Please.

Really, I'd like to, and we have been known to leak some info every now and then (at arrangements or in public), however I don't have the time, nor do I feel like compiling a list right here and now, esp. not since many things are not even set in stone yet .. I think we've said this before, and I know some people moan on and on about it, but if you want a featurelist you'll have to wait until the damn thing is actually released. :P

Quote:

@koan
    I think the problem is that you expect CISC to act as a spokesman for MorphOS team. My impression is that he does not want that job!

Someone give this man a prize please, you sir hit the nail on the head.

Quote:

The MorphOS team could avoid the problem of people asking for news/status update if their websites were a bit more informative. Apart from http://www.morphos.de/news.html people have little idea if any development is happening at all.

IMO this is quite unfair, we do give out alot of information, the "problem" it seems is that we don't feel comfortable hyping it to the audience, something it also seems is what some people would prefer. However something many people don't seem to want is showing off features they would really like, as it seems to anger them and say we are teasing them etc .. maybe you see where this is going?

As it is now all we can do is reassure people that development is indeed still progressing, and maybe drop the odd hint about some feature, but also we are doing what perhaps is the greatest indicator of progress (but paradoxically also the least appreciated indicator); we release stuff (everything from bugfixes (most recently iffparse), to betas (ambient, mui, etc) and even full-blown updates (3D))!

Quote:

@amiades
    I think that is exactly the problem too. I can understand, CISC to make fun of people being rude when asking things, or all that, but I don't like, when someone asks something for his first time, and in a correct way, and he gets a "funny" reply.

Well, it's not as if it hasn't been asked here before, and when you've been asked the same unanswerable question enough times you really only have 2 choices, either snap or joke about it.

Quote:

If you are not willing to reveal a thing, is ok for me, but please, be gentle with the people that is gentle with you. A simple "I'm sorry, but I can't/I'm not authorised/I'm not willing to reveal that information" could be enough.

It's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that I've answered part of this many, many times before and it doesn't really take much research to find those answers .. but you are right, my answer could be perceived as rude if you're a n00b (although I thought it was funny). :P

- CISC
  • »20.10.06 - 01:03
    hooligan
    Quote:

Today, we can still get Peg2 systems.

Not, according to this message:
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/134257.shtml

Of course its just a forumpost without 100% guarantee, plus there are still old stocks left.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.10.06 - 04:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 03.11.2011 - 17:22 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »20.10.06 - 11:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

that's an anonymous source "Polyhead" in a forum well known for trolls and zany antics.

Polyhead is not anonymous (and his source is probably as close to the horse's mouth as you can get (if you know who Polyhead is, you know who I mean))...

As for the overgeneralization of a whole forum, well, I'm not sure I want to know what you classify this one as. :P

- CISC
  • »20.10.06 - 11:17
    hooligan
    Quote:

Hooligan, that's an anonymous source "Polyhead" in a forum well known for trolls and zany antics.

Couldnt or cant say, I do not visit Moobunny regulary.

Quote:

I see you say it's not a "100% guarantee" to me it's not even a 1% guarantee.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:

Please go and try at PegasosPPC.com or the great
    GGS-Data before spreading such rumors.

I thought I was very clear when mentioning the source is NOT to be trusted as itself.
    And yes I know GGS-Data and some other resellers have Pegs in stock, which is why I mentioned about it.
    I wasnt spreading rumours, I was presenting a (rohs related) comment which might very well be true. At least I put more faith in a justifiable comment rather than an imaginarycreature from crappy sequel of Star Wars.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.10.06 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 22.09.2011 - 16:04 ]
  • »20.10.06 - 12:03
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

Of course its just a forumpost without 100% guarantee, plus there are still old stocks left.

Well...I guess we'll find out when I get my Peg (or not)! :D
  • »20.10.06 - 18:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Velcro

Very funny post..

Well some light on who "Polyhead" is: its one of Neko's "friends" here in the us (ii'm sure they talk alot) so this is what CISC meant by "from the horses mouth" So he's getting the info from Neko i'm sure. And as a side note Polyhead is almost like a clone of Neko if you can imagine such a thing!

@CISC

Its not unfair of the user base to expect promotion/updates from the developers.

Also,thx for your answers. You see people who dont know you guys take these "funny" answers as rude and acting elite. When the reality is you guys are actually cool and caring of the user base (sort of lol)

I think one of the reasons for keeping feature sets quiet is the competition with OS4 devs...

Anyway, the mos team site needs updating so tell you and your minions to stop slacking and causing troubles...

:-P

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.10.06 - 19:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

It's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that I've answered part of this many, many times before and it doesn't really take much research to find those answers .. but you are right, my answer could be perceived as rude if you're a n00b (although I thought it was funny). :P

It was funny in some way, hehe... but when we are playing with the emotions of people, it turns a little more rude.

I mean, that the true amigans, have an undescribable feeling bout amigas and in this case in the amiga spirit in morphos, and as I see it, we are very afraid that everything suddenly dies... that's why we are so persistent, hehe, you should know ;).

I understand too, you are boring asking the same questions, so, I sugest, we can do a FAQ, and then, you can refer everyone to the FAQ, everytime they ask something... Sometimes, knowing that the next version will have something, is better than having it... illusions, I mean.
  • »20.10.06 - 21:03
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Quote:

JKD wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

Well...I guess we'll find out when I get my Peg (or not)! :D

In case anyone was wondering, I got my Peg II today (order and paid for via the webshop) :D

...man there's a lot to catch up on, not least of which is remembering how to use MOS and wtf I was thinking when I installed this system a few years ago! ;-)

[ Edited by JKD on 2006/11/3 13:26 ]

[ Edited by JKD on 2006/11/3 13:26 ]
  • »03.11.06 - 21:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    JKD

WELCOME Back! Start a new thread about it though...

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »04.11.06 - 02:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

I got my Peg II today (order and paid for via the webshop) :D

Congratulations, and welcome back! :-)

Quote:

...man there's a lot to catch up on, not least of which is remembering how to use MOS and wtf I was thinking when I installed this system a few years ago! ;-)

Well, have fun! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.11.06 - 09:08
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 17.09.2011 - 10:14 ]
  • »04.11.06 - 13:02