Upgrade 1,7 GHz MPC 7448 CPU cards announced for AmigaONE
    hooligan
    @Framiga
    Quote:

a lot of free time eh TMHGM! nice and "professional" words from a moderator!

moderator on what forum?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.04.06 - 04:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    Hi @takemehomegrandma,

>> I just want a CPU upgrade ...
    Bend Over, Here It Comes Again! And everyone jumping of joy among dancing
    bananas about it.

LOL, you made fall off my stool and hurt my cheeks! :-)

>I'll tell you what; if you put your ears close to the motherboard, and the
    room is silent enough, you will probably be able to hear the Articia
    brainfarting through the ethernet connector in pure horror!

Better: log your A1-XE on the Quake2 online server at AW and when
    anyone comes along, the login freezes you where ever you are until the
    new player is done logging in. Haven't found any info on this problem.
    It could be Articia or the Tornedo ethernet card. Why damage your ear.

>And besides not functioning properly, the Articia S is also crippled with
    bottle-necks all over, so this kind of CPU will be a complete *waste of
    money*, since it won't be able to even *come close* to its fullest potential
    (for which you pay your money).

Good point! If the A1 mobo and everything was up to spec., then spending
    this kind money may be worth it. But, as it stands, I'm going to pass this
    upgrade.

I love your reply to Raf_MegaByte. LOL all the way through the read!

:lol:
  • »25.04.06 - 05:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    What everyone seems to forgot again, that's what pulls back both Pegasos' and A1's performance is actually not the 1Ghz boundary in the CPU clock, but more the bus speed, what the damn CPU is connected to. Which is only 133Mhz. Even a Pegasos II tops out at 300-450MB/sec at it's memory speed, and ~250MB/sec AGP speed, and this situation is a lot worse on the A1. OK, 7448's 1MB cache can help there, but the bottleneck will be even more extreme for a CPU running at 1.7Ghz. (And let's not count that because of Articia "features" the OS needs to do constant cacheflushes.)

Such a CPU upgrade will be good for nothing, expect to have some impressive results in some synthetic benchmarks. Of course some people would even sell their souls (or all their dancing bananas) to have better benchmarks results on a clocked-to-sky A1 than any average Peg2 board, so such cards still have their potential customers.

As for the Peg2 "1.7Ghz" upgrade, the situation is quite similar, except that IIRC the Marvell chip on the Peg2 could do at least 166Mhz bus speed, so in theory an OF upgrade with different timings (if the other components on the board allow that) could help for a such high-clocked CPU. But this is only a what-if game.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »25.04.06 - 06:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

What kind of financial backup does he have, in order to secure a long term commitment to support and customer service? I'm a bit surprised that no-one is asking these kind of questions.

Seeing how he is requesting e-mails before production run is not a good sign in this context IMHO. I see a new "Eyetech situation" coming up here.

Please, do not compare him with Eyetech...

I mean yes, he is (also) going to sell a very expensive product (considering what you get, and what others can get for the same price) but at least it seems that he's doing most of the work himself, instead of re-selling others' work with a higher price tag...

Yes, AmigaOnes have lots of problems, but they're not coused by him or anything... And if 1.7GHz cards won't work well (at all?), they probably will get canceled.

I see this situation as him cleaning up after Eyetech. Trying to produce working CPU cards to those, who no longer have one.
  • »25.04.06 - 08:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    a lot of free time eh TMHGM! nice and "professional" words from a moderator!

Why i find only fanatics on forums lately?

whats a virus? argh! :-(

Except that he is not a moderator and that his comments are a lot articulated than what you can find from users and moderators on a particular red site where people account have been denied access for less than what you have said.

If you judge how it was written it is maybe that you have no argument to discuss any of the point he brought.

Anyway lets stop the OT.
  • »25.04.06 - 09:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    oops! honestly i thought he was! sorry for the mistake. About the content ... usual fanatic style which i strongly hate.
  • »25.04.06 - 12:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

oops! honestly i thought he was!

You can recognize site moderators from "moderator" badge that looks exactly like the one, he doesn't have :-)
  • »25.04.06 - 13:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Quoting THGM:
    >Then how about this: The A1 was a piece of crap
    >The AmigaOne is probably the darkest episode in >the Amiga history

IMHO This is not trolling, this is the sad truth. And belive me, I'm not in any way happy for the Amiga situation, also if I own a Peg.
    But how could you better define an hw with uncounted bugs other than pure CRAP?
    And, yes, also IMHO calling this CRAP Amiga is an offence to the memory of what Amiga was.
    So, if this is trolling, everyone posting an opinion based on FACTS (because the hw faults of A1 are PROVEN & DOCUMENTED) is a troll.
    Aloha
    -------------------
  • »27.04.06 - 10:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    i've never called him troll. I wrote "fanatic" that's not the same.

Quote:

@ Raf_MegaByte

Quote:

I just want a CPU upgrade for my Pegasos and I find with disappoint that AmigaONE now has it.

No it hasn't.

And I don't think it will be released either (at least I hope not)

and to be more precise, is the above statements that i find at least "sad".
  • »27.04.06 - 10:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    @Framiga
    ok, my mistake, but I think that also fanatic is unappropriate definition.
    Imho THGM is just expressing an opionion, agreable or not...
    I think he's not a fanatic just because he's saying that AFAWK only BPlan has skills and knowledges to build working & reliable PPC mobos. As today, 27/04/2006 it's a FACT, not an opinion.
    When we'll see working PowerVixens or Troikas, we could all be proud to have another nextgen Amiga, but until then, let us be at least skeptists! :-)

Ciao Framiga!
    -------------------
  • »27.04.06 - 13:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Let us end the discussion for you. Unfortunately, the 7448 needs too much power and runs too hot for the Pegasos to function at a cycle level that would be interesting this group. The 7448 does not fall within the performance parameters originally announced for the chip. We promoted the 7448 and invested significant effort in a design built around it. It is not suitable for the PegasosPPC. The bottom line is that it needs twice the power for 20% more performance. It is not worth it. As Gerald says: "we expect more."

R&B :-)
  • »27.04.06 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    That is the official position.

• »27.04.06 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    @BBRV and Genesi

Ok doesn't sound to good if 7448 needs so much energy but what about 7447A will you realese that chip. I personally think it's time to update Pegasos 2 a little bit, I think it has been around now for pretty long time without any big change in CPU-cards.
  • »27.04.06 - 16:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    then i'd be more interested in dual 7447a cpu board, if morphos would support this... wow! :-) i'd buy such card for, say, 300 euros :-) is it possible one (near) day?

bye, MarK.
  • »27.04.06 - 16:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    i've never called him troll. I wrote "fanatic" that's not the same.

You can call me whatever you like! Frankly, I couldn't care less, but perhaps you should look up the word "fanatic" in a dictionary?

Quote:

Quote:

@ Raf_MegaByte

Quote:

I just want a CPU upgrade for my Pegasos and I find with disappoint that AmigaONE now has it.

No it hasn't.

And I don't think it will be released either (at least I hope not)

and to be more precise, is the above statements that i find at least "sad".

What's sad about it?

I don't think it will be released, because:
    1) So far, this guy has a track record making announcements, but not living up to them.
    2) There is a huge difference in talking on a forum, and set up a production run of some 100-200 units. It will require a considerable amount of capital that must be invested way ahead of production start (long lead times on components, PCB manufacturing, etc) and won't be returned entirely since way later (if ever). The risk is quite high for this project, so there *could* be some problems with financing (if he doesn't happen to have a huge pile of money he wants to risc himself).
    3) I think he has vastly underestimated the challanges and problems with this project, which he (hopefully) will find out in time (at least if he is just a little smarter than Alan Redhouse). The Articia never worked as supposed and announced, it's a mighty old chip even if it would have, and the A1 motherboards suffers from very poor general design. It was prototype class hardware at best, not really meant for end-users (and not really meant for 1.7GHz 7448's).
    4) If he has any sense as a HW developer, and he runs the tests that *Eyetech never did*, he will understand that there is no way of making a system based on the ArticiaS work sufficiently good for consumers. New CPU's adds new problems, and he will come to the conclusion that putting a $850 1.7GHz 7448 module to it is simply not feasable, both from
    a) a quality POV (it can never become good enough for consumers), and also from
    b) a Price/Performance POV (it's not worth it)

As I said, at least I *hope* he will hit the brakes, before this hits the consumers. The A1 is dead and should be left in peace. Build *new* hardware instead, and leave the plagued corpse alone!

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2006/4/27 22:16 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.04.06 - 18:22
      hooligan
      Ok guys, lets not get personal here
      www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
    • »27.04.06 - 18:27
      Profile Visit Website
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      SoundSquare
      now it's time to cheer up my Peg from broken expectations. And myself as well.
    • »27.04.06 - 19:30
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Give me your peg2 motherboard and i will kiss you so much !!!!
      seriously i want a peg2 because i have a peg one and i haven't the money to deal the upgrade offered by Genesi so give it to me and i give you my peg1.

if you do that you make me an happy man ! :-)

BBRV:

What about a cpu upgrade coming from the mac world ? A new pegasos motherboard is in developpement ? or just producing peg2 whith 1.42 ghz G4 which was in the mac mini.

[ Edited by acepeg on 2006/4/27 21:00 ]
    • »27.04.06 - 21:00
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      takemehomegrandma
      @ BBRV

Quote:

bbrv wrote:
      Let us end the discussion for you. Unfortunately, the 7448 needs too much power and runs too hot for the Pegasos to function at a cycle level that would be interesting this group. The 7448 does not fall within the performance parameters originally announced for the chip. We promoted the 7448 and invested significant effort in a design built around it. It is not suitable for the PegasosPPC. The bottom line is that it needs twice the power for 20% more performance. It is not worth it. As Gerald says: "we expect more."

What about this one then?

http://www.pegasosppc.com/freeworkstation.php
    • »27.04.06 - 22:20
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      SoundSquare
      Quote:

What about this one then?

:-o
    • »27.04.06 - 22:31
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      SoundSquare
      Quote:

What, had you missed that?

no i am just wondering why 1,4Ghz CPU cards are not available to purchase. (don't tell me they are or i'll start thinking i've been hibernating).
    • »27.04.06 - 22:43
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      takemehomegrandma
      Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
      Quote:

What, had you missed that?

no i am just wondering why 1,4Ghz CPU cards are not available to purchase. (don't tell me they are or i'll start thinking i've been hibernating).

I'm 99.9% certain that the 1.4GHz modules are (were?) based on the 7447A processor. They were only made available through that "rental program", they were not sold separately (I think the program was a "pilot"/experiment to validate public interest for this kind of approach, and the "faster-than-regular" CPU's a way of making the offer more interesting). I have no idea if the program is still open for applications, or how many applied (if any).

Anyway, the point with my question was to ask their opinion about the 7447A processor (if the 7448 is no longer in question) ...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2006/4/27 23:09 ]
    • »27.04.06 - 23:02
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      tarbos
      http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20040225

Please a clear statement why this did not happen 2 years ago!

If everything seems to be a cooling problem, why weren't the capacitors mounted on the backside to make space for better standard coolers?
      A clever user from Pegasosforum proved that it works:
      Pic1
      Pic2
      A bit too much maybe... ;-)

I don't really understand why development stood still with Pegasos and why the 7447 "L", which seems to be a 22W max. part was chosen over the marginally more expensive "N" part with 11.5W max. in the first place if heat is indeed such a problem (which subsequently prevented Pegasos II from becoming the advertised fanless cool & quiet PPC vision).

The OSW might become the saving grace, but this is not a MorphOS machine and has to prove itself first.
      Look at Bruce Boettjer's [1] comments at http://projects.ppczone.org/projects.php?program=OSW

[1] Sr Hardware Design Engineer Momentum Computer, developed several 970-based reference designs

[ Edited by tarbos on 2006/4/28 2:44 ]
    • »28.04.06 - 01:14
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      CLS2086
      @BBRV :
      you mean that the 7448A give just 20% more power than a 7447, i guess it's for the same speed.

So what about 7447@1.7 Ghz CPU module for pegasos ?? One prototype was made to realise such a test ? or it"s with the 7447@1.4 Ghz ?
      Does it need an extra power connector such as the one on Voodoo5 ?
      Will you produce it ? for a reasonnable price ? or will you ask SONNET to build adapter to use MAC CPU upgrade cards on Pegasos2 :-D ??
      Or the game is already over ? :-x
      Keep the Faith !
      VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
      Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
    • »28.04.06 - 10:08