• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    i've never called him troll. I wrote "fanatic" that's not the same.

You can call me whatever you like! Frankly, I couldn't care less, but perhaps you should look up the word "fanatic" in a dictionary?

Quote:

Quote:

@ Raf_MegaByte

Quote:

I just want a CPU upgrade for my Pegasos and I find with disappoint that AmigaONE now has it.

No it hasn't.

And I don't think it will be released either (at least I hope not)

and to be more precise, is the above statements that i find at least "sad".

What's sad about it?

I don't think it will be released, because:
    1) So far, this guy has a track record making announcements, but not living up to them.
    2) There is a huge difference in talking on a forum, and set up a production run of some 100-200 units. It will require a considerable amount of capital that must be invested way ahead of production start (long lead times on components, PCB manufacturing, etc) and won't be returned entirely since way later (if ever). The risk is quite high for this project, so there *could* be some problems with financing (if he doesn't happen to have a huge pile of money he wants to risc himself).
    3) I think he has vastly underestimated the challanges and problems with this project, which he (hopefully) will find out in time (at least if he is just a little smarter than Alan Redhouse). The Articia never worked as supposed and announced, it's a mighty old chip even if it would have, and the A1 motherboards suffers from very poor general design. It was prototype class hardware at best, not really meant for end-users (and not really meant for 1.7GHz 7448's).
    4) If he has any sense as a HW developer, and he runs the tests that *Eyetech never did*, he will understand that there is no way of making a system based on the ArticiaS work sufficiently good for consumers. New CPU's adds new problems, and he will come to the conclusion that putting a $850 1.7GHz 7448 module to it is simply not feasable, both from
    a) a quality POV (it can never become good enough for consumers), and also from
    b) a Price/Performance POV (it's not worth it)

As I said, at least I *hope* he will hit the brakes, before this hits the consumers. The A1 is dead and should be left in peace. Build *new* hardware instead, and leave the plagued corpse alone!

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2006/4/27 22:16 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.04.06 - 18:22

•