OPEN FIRMWARE REVISIONS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Here is the hard sell on the firmware:

You are never going to know what the difference is between board revisions, and in any case it is not guaranteed to give you any hint by knowing what firmware revision is on it. Please do not "ask gently" or ask at all, as you will be met with what amounts to a disappointing response.

The public differences: 2B4 and below used a Winbond clock chip. 2B5 and above use an ICS clock chip (see Power.org public specifications).

Users should run the latest publically available firmware, if the one already installed on your system is not in fact much newer. For most Pegasos II owners this is the firmware that came with the machine. For the rest it's on the bplan site - but if you didn't upgrade already you probably broke your system doing setenv in firmware anyway :D

There is no real intrinsic value to knowing how many hardware/software revision/combinations there are - in a very short time there will be a "1.3" firmware, for Pegasos II if not also for Pegasos I too, and EFIKA, and the HDB, and everything else, and it will all be useless information. Dare I say you are wasting your time with a boring numbers game?
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »04.04.06 - 11:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    thefab
    Neko,

i guess some people here are not bored with number games but instead, are bored of bugged firmwares.
  • »04.04.06 - 11:54
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

thefab wrote:
    Neko,

i guess some people here are not bored with number games but instead, are bored of bugged firmwares.

:)
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »04.04.06 - 11:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Yes, I'm rather bored with firmwares not allowing me to
    use any gfx cards combinations :b
  • »04.04.06 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Even if we do not get the differences between the revisions we already got some interesting information and thanks to your post we just got more. We will see if Bplan can provide even more.
    The "Pegasos Book" so far does not list all the different Pegasos versions. Soon this information will be available.

The point is certainly not to have all users beg for the latest release just for the sake of having it. If the user Pegasos works fine there is no point risking an upgrade that may only bring unneeded things.
    On the other hand if someone SF version is known to have a particular problem (for example a problem with a certain graphic card) I would recommend to this person to email bplan for asking for a SF upgrade. In this case the information that was provided in this thread may help.

I am glad to learn today that soon there will be an 1.3 release available for everyone. It will be even better if it includes a change log and works on all boards :)

I don't think I waste my time (there are several more useless things to do to waste time).
    Even if the conclusion is that there are only very minor changes between SF 1.2 revisions it is still information that help users understand better.
  • »04.04.06 - 13:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

CPU v1.2 front

CPU v1.2 back

What is the function ot the top left component that changes ?
    The plastic attachment for the fan are also different. Can anyone spot anything else ?
    And about 880 G4 CPU cards were made between your Pegasos and mine.

[ Edited by cdfr on 2006/4/4 8:27 ]
  • »04.04.06 - 14:15
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I prehaps gave you wrong/imprecise info about my
    hardware. I just opened the case and had a look
    at the cpu card which reads clearly 1.1.
    See shots here:

Front

Back

I didn't take off the mainboard so I cannot tell you
    for sure the PegasosII version, but typing

cd /openprom
    .properties

in OF tells me

PegasosII,1.2 (so I assume it's 1.2)
    Relative-addresses
    Built-On 0x131CC6A (20040810)

Firmware is 1.2 (20040810112413)

But now I remember that when I bought my PegII
    (no card update, I bought it already with G4 1Ghz)
    OF 1.1 was installed. I later made the flash update
    to the 1.2 you see above but I don't remember where I
    downloaded it and/or who gave it to me.
    I don't experience any problems. Nor I could test
    by myself which gfx cards combo work and which not.
    I use a Radeon 7000 sapphire AGP DDR 64MB.

I hope you find my info useful.
  • »05.04.06 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    cdfr: i believe this is the info you asked me for

th_82202_rev.jpg
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »10.04.06 - 16:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    The component on the top left that changes is part of the power regulation circuit.

Most people who have a broken CPU card - where it dies from overheating or so - this is the little thing that fails.

Luckily it's easier to replace than the CPU :)
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »10.04.06 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately the Pegasos Book Wiki has been hacked and Geoffrey is trying to recover it.
    Hopefully he will be able to do it and to make new versions with including the information that was collected in this thread.

Please if you have a CPU card rev 1.0 post a picture to this thread. If you have anything not listed HERE
    please reply aswell.

[ Edited by cdfr on 2006/4/10 14:55 ]
  • »10.04.06 - 20:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    Pegasos II G4
    Board: 1.2
    SF: 1.2 (20040810)
  • »17.04.06 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website