• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    There is another Thread open in the forum about minimal MiniMAC.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3188&forum=27

In which there are considrations about EU variations of prices... :-o :-x

...and the lack of features, i.e.:

- It is sold without mouse or keyboard

(and remember that ONLY expensive Apple Keyboards have USB replicator.
    Logitech ones for example will occupy permanently one USB port if you don't use a USB HUB.)

- Poor graphic capabilities.

(With only 32 meg graphic Ram you can't run big graphic CAD projects Macs are aimed to; recent 3D games are cut off from this Minimac platform; Photoshop could not deal with HUGE images, so you could barely work with graphics at its best; etc., etc.)

- Poor audio output capabilities

(No 5.1 Audio to see some good home-Theater movies)

- No AirPORT and Bluetooth modules in standard Minimac model.

- Only 2,5" Hard Disk

(say "bye bye" to any serious Desktop Video usage).

- No standard DVD Writer (only Combo Drive, [DVD Read - CD ReadWrite])
    You must order it apart and choose a "slot insertion one" only, which is more expensive than standard DVD writers.

(You mist consider to buy an external USB one)

And think of the target market...

After all these discussions I had with a lot of other people, and having reasoning on it so much, I fell to admit that this new Minimac has so poor features because it is aimed only at internet usability.

This will mean you will see Minimacs only (for example):

- In cool expensive fashion stores, in which sellers want to appear "Thinking different" and being "cool" in using tiiiiiny computers...

- Into Exhibits to allow visitors of booths navigate in internet;

- Also you will see it into Libraries, Stations, other public places, again as internet point;

- And finally you will find it into Universities as MINIMAL (minimal minimac :-P) remote terminal for students helping them navigate (yes, again an internet point use-only), to perform easy wordprocessing purposes, and to access on-line universitary services...
    (And about this fact I can offer you the example of Naples University - Literature dept. - in which I am studying, and in which we have a battery of 20 IMac machines, which are of free use for study purposes.
    And think that these machines are good only to accomplish this simple and non-stress-computing task for these "simple" low performance platforms such as IMacs.

Also I hate them because Mac have non-standard "QWERTY" keyboards [used in italian Layout keyboard for computers] and uses the ancient typewriter-like keyboard style with italian layout "QZERTY"...
    This will mean it has also "shift inverted" key characters such as "." ":" ";" "," and no "DEL" key at all... :-o
    Only "Backspace" allowed.
    Standard "QWERTY" italian Mac keyboard costs TWICE!!!
    Absurd!).

But please if you want to write something about the things this new mac lacks of, then use already existing thread.

Ciao,

Raffaele
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »13.01.05 - 08:46