Hardware questions :)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    Hi there!

I am seriously considering purchasing a Pegasos II with 1GHz G4 processor. Before going on with the purchase I have a few questions and hopefully, you can help me out:

1. Does the RAM have to be PC2100 RAM or faster DDR Ram will work just as well (obviously at slower speeds)?

2. Is there a list of compatible hardware with the Pegasos (such as ram type, videocard, scanners, scsi cards etc).?

3. What is the current situation with:

- Morph OS (I was reading there is some sort of legal dispute with the dev team of this OS)
    - Amiga OS 4 (will there be a PegasosPPC version?)

4. I am very interested in Mac-on-Linux as I work with graphic packages such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

- How well does this work?
    - What amount of RAM do you recommend?
    - Which video card do you recommend?

I thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • »02.01.05 - 18:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

1. Does the RAM have to be PC2100 RAM or faster DDR Ram will work just as well (obviously at slower speeds)?

Select RAM with lowest CAS Latency at 266Mhz.

Quote:

2. Is there a list of compatible hardware with the Pegasos (such as ram type, videocard, scanners, scsi cards etc).?

The Pegasos can usually work with any kind of hardware if you have the good slot (AGP, PCI 32bits/33Mhz ...).
    Then it's a matter of drivers.
    Linux usually supportes everything.
    For MorphOs, you better ask your reseller.

Quote:

4. I am very interested in Mac-on-Linux as I work with graphic packages such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

- How well does this work?

Well, it works. Anything related to display (and especially 3D stuff) is slow.

Quote:

- What amount of RAM do you recommend?

At least 512Mo of your Peg, so you could give 320 of RAM to MOL. A lot of more if you want to use PhotoShop :-)
    Quote:

- Which video card do you recommend?

Any Radeon (but the VE/7000) should be fine.

[ Edited by NicoPPC on 2005/1/3 16:00 ]
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »03.01.05 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    >1. Does the RAM have to be PC2100 RAM or faster DDR Ram will work just as well (obviously at slower speeds)?

Most DDR works. Choose DDR with low latency.

Get PC3200 DDR.

>2. Is there a list of compatible hardware with the Pegasos (such as ram type, videocard, scanners, scsi cards etc).?

For video cards : Voodoo 3/4/5 series, ATI Radeon 7x00, 8x00 series.

Best support for 3D done with Voodoo (MOS1.4.2).

To get the list compatible USB devices, give a look at poseidon USB stack.

For SCSI devices like scanner (Symbios 895 UWSCSI controller is natively supported), give a look at fxScan from IOSpirit.

For printers, look at TurboPrint.

Onboard PegasosII Network & Sound already have drivers.

For the rest : it is driver dependant. Everything that can be plugged shall works if driver is available.

> 3. What is the current situation with:

> - Morph OS (I was reading there is some sort of legal dispute with the dev team of this OS)
    > - Amiga OS 4 (will there be a PegasosPPC version?)

No information available. Concret shape over the mess. (But something is on the way).
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »03.01.05 - 09:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    As mentioned above a lot of hardware works. To add to it I have a
    Soundblaster live card in mine and I also tested RTL8139 based 10/100
    Ethernet cards.

[ Edited by Acill on 2005/1/5 14:00 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »05.01.05 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Jacks
    I'm ordering a Peg board and case , etc... but plan on building it here in CA... once read that many in here had successful put yours together , was just wondering on any tips???

If anyone can give me a few basic pointers ...it would help ... Ultraspec may have a micro board for me ..and it will be shipped with a few other pieces...case..wiring ,etc.. the rest HD , ram , cd..dvd...will be my job ...plus the assembly ...So any body like to suggest anything .....Jacks

[ Edited by Jacks on 2005/1/12 5:20 ]
  • »11.01.05 - 02:44