What does "PCI Riser Card Option" mean ?
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Is this a standardized interface or system specific ?

Can I have more than 3 PCI Slots in Peg II ?with such a card ?

3 is not really enough: TV-Card, SCSI Controller, USB 2.0 Card, Catweasel, Sound Card with digital input, a seconf gfx board...
  • »13.05.04 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    PCI Riser card simply let's you use your PCI cards rotated by 90 degree.

Quote:

3 is not really enough: TV-Card, SCSI Controller, USB 2.0 Card, Catweasel, Sound Card with digital input, a seconf gfx board...

With that list you're already at 6 PCI slots. AFAIK even the largest motherboards have only that much...
  • »13.05.04 - 11:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    No! It only rotates the PCI slots, nothing else, it cannot add any, it's for lowprofile desktop cases, which aren't high enough for the PCI cards and so You can buy the riser card, that will do this job for You.

It doesn't add ANY PCI slot :-(

3 slots aren't much, but it must be enough with a Peg...

Bye, MarK.
  • »13.05.04 - 12:08
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Polyhead
    *snipped by Kronos, learn to behave*

Its not for more slots or for low profile cases.. its for 1 and 2u rack mount installations you fools. There aren't any desktop cases that use them that i know of.
    -Polyhead-
  • »13.05.04 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Its not for more slots or for low profile cases.. its for 1 and 2u rack mount installations you fools. There aren't any desktop cases that use them that i know of.

Actually, plenty of systems have used or use vertical riser cards for the expansion boards, going back to the SOL-20 of 1976, if not earlier, as well as the desktop Amiga's. For PCI slots, even then various desktop cases have used the vertical riser cards to maximize space usage while keeping the profile as low as possible. Systems from Apple, Dell, Packard Bell, and various Mac clones certainly used them. Some even used them in tower configurations, such as the Power Computing PowerCenter Pro. You might want to check your facts a bit more before flaming people.
    Pegasos I G3/600
    MorphOS 1.4.2
    128MB RAM
    Toshiba DVD-ROM
    20GB WDC Hard Disk
    Radeon 9000
    SB Live! LS 5.1 soundcard
  • »13.05.04 - 12:57
    Profile Visit Website