• Just looking around
    Hi,

Some time ago my Powerbook G4 (5,8 AKA A1138) started acting up after not having used it for a while. It would simply freeze while using either MorphOS or MacOS. Some troubleshooting later it turned out the RAM seemed to be OK and I found out PRAM battery issues could cause all kinds of other strangeness. After charging the laptop without battery overnight and resetting PRAM, the machine actually started to work fine in Leopard, but when I would reboot into MorphOS 3.9 (yes, it'd been a while) it would simply freeze after a while.

I managed to install MorphOS 3.17 which actually solved the freezing issues so far. However, at first networking didn't really work at all untill I read a thread on here about disabling, enabling loopback device and rebooting. That got networking running for a little while, but generally just a tiny bit. Enough to partially connect to IRC or perhaps load part of a webpage. I've tried to ping DNS servers without luck. I've tried moving physically closer to Wi-Fi AP with no effect.

The little indicator next to the wireless network changes between green, black, orange and red from time to time. I can do some testing with ethernet if it's relevant, but for the machine to have practical use for me, I need Wi-Fi to work.

I also tried booting from the iso via USB, setting up networking and trying from there, but I had the same issue. Is there anything obvious, I've failed to test here?
  • »31.10.22 - 19:50