Mac Mini G4 thermal sensor
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    If it takes a second, then it sounds that the screens don't fit into the graphics memory, and they must be swapped between RAM and VMEM when you switch between them. Probably triplebuffering and enhanced mode screens consume too much memory to fit in the gfx mem on your setup.

When I have the FullHD enhanced mode Ambient + other non-enhanced FullHD screens (which consume wayy less memory than enhanced/buffered screens), switching between screens take only fraction of a second... it's immediate and you can't say it would take any time in human eyes. This is because there's enough graphics memory to store them all.

Maybe your 9800 PRO has more graphics memory and it's faster because of that (all screens fit into the graphics card's mem)?
  • »17.05.22 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    mmm... very strange.
    Just now I tried it again, fist few swaps are slow, and after five or six clicks swapping start to go fast. And afer reboot again slow. :-(

You're probably on the limit that if they all fit in the graphics memory or not. For enhanced mode screens every open window etc will consume memory more than they would do on non-enhanced display.
  • »17.05.22 - 17:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @jPV
    thanks, it is very good explanation.
    It is the case. Swapping od fullHD doublebuffered + fullHD non-enhanced is fast.

Sorry, I have to again get use to 64 MB VRAM ;-)

Can I disturb you and kindly ask you of your Mac Mini GfxSpeed / CPU to VRAM a WritePixelArray?
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »17.05.22 - 17:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Many thanks,
    I have 215 MB/s too.

I was afraid, that I corrupt something during overclocking. But is seems to be normal with Mac Mini G4.
    It is a little, because my Pegasos 2 ( again this machine! ) have 232 MB/s.

I assumed much more here, as Mac Mini have AGP x4 video bus and Pegasos only PCI 66 (~ AGP x1).
    So Pegasos have speed 87% of theoretical bus maximum, and Mini 20% of theoretical bus maximum? Strange.

I always suspected all-in-one computers of inefficiency ;-)
    A am not expert on MorphOS, only power user, but I supposed, that these benchmarked functions are the fastest for write to gfx card memory.

And please, why CPU to VRAM and WritePixelArray are allways nearly the same numbers?
    Original AmigaOS and AmigaOS 4 have big diferences here, because COPY to VRAM is without DMA. Does it mean, that MorphOS use for both functions DMA and different names are for compatibility resons? Or I am totally lost?
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »17.05.22 - 21:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Thanks to all ( especially to cyfm and jPV ) for help and advices.
    Here is link to my article with final result. Unfortunatelly only google translated.
    And here is original in Czech language.
  • »26.05.22 - 09:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Very cool article! Nicely done sailor.

Now do an Imac G5 iSight :)

[ Edited by MoerBoer 26.05.2022 - 11:51 ]
  • »26.05.22 - 09:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:

Thanks!

And I buyed at ebay very very cheap two iMac iSights. For parts, but good for experimets. We will see.
  • »26.05.22 - 09:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:

Thanks!

And I buyed at ebay very very cheap two iMac iSights. For parts, but good for experimets. We will see.

Ooh! That sounds exciting!
  • »26.05.22 - 10:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    But don't look forward to it, because now it's the AmigaOne XE's turn - I receive one from colleague from US and I want to upgrade and optimize her.
    Imac - it is run on a long track - and I hate to dissassemly this all-in-ones.

[ Edited by sailor 26.05.2022 - 18:05 ]
  • »26.05.22 - 17:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    But don't look forward to it, because now it's the AmigaOne XE's turn - I receive one from colleague from US and I want to upgrade and optimize her.
    Imac - it is run on a long track - and I hate to dissassemly this all-in-ones.

It's actually not that hard if you follow the iFixit steps. I recently re-applied thermal paste to mine and you basically have to take the whole thing apart.

Biggest hurdle is getting the clips at the top lose with a credit card.
  • »27.05.22 - 10:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote: Biggest hurdle is getting the clips at the top loose with a credit card.

I find it much easier using an old HDD magnet held against the front corners of the top of the screen surround/fascia from a failed HDD or some other magnet you might have about the house, but it does need to have quite a strong pull/magnetic attraction. :-D

That fiddling about with a credit card or similar tool never appealed to me. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »28.05.22 - 00:31