• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    In my case it's not the CPU-temperatures - these are OK (limited on 2GHz-G5 by setfancontrol (MOS) to 55°C) and they are'nt be noisy.
    But the problem is the North-Bridge-Chip, which is located on the backside of the board. There are big cool-structures to cool it down. Air is blown through by a radial blower, located below the drivebay-fan, at backside of case. And this blower sounds most of the time like a starting jet!! AppleDiagnostics says "erveything is ok", Backsidetempsensor is ok.

The stange thing: I have 4 PowerMAC G5 here (2x2,3GHz, 2,0GHz and a 1,8GHz). Only one of the 2.3GHz and the 2.0Ghz shows that behaviour. The northbridge sots quickly over 55°C, which I've set as limit and the blower starts.........
    In MacOSX they never get more than 45°C and the blower is ALWAY near idle-speed. So there must be something in MOS which puts much load on this chip.

Now to make it a bit stranger: Both other PowerMACs (2nd 2,3GHz and 1,8GHz) are running perfectly (MOS) at low noise - even under high power.

So, what is the difference??
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »08.10.21 - 16:41